User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interstate truck driving school. St.Paul,Mn.

Has anyone taken this class and how did it go and what kinda offers did you get dont think their ptdi certified but seem to have recruiters from the majors.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Board Regular

Since you are not far from Wisconsin, look into Chippewa Valley Technical College's driving program in Eau Claire, WI. They have both a week and a weekend course. The week course is 8 weeks. Not sure how long the weekend course is. I graduated from there 2 years ago and got a good education. I just talked with one of my former instructors and he said they now have a drive simulator like the one used at Werner. They also have a good skid pad and invasive manuver course. I never regreted going to Chippewa for training. The area around Eau Claire is great training ground for the real wide world of trucking.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Rookie

RangerRoy,

I haven't gone to this school, but I'm from Coon Rapids, MN, and am also in the process of checking out the local schools. I don't know much about Interstate Truck Driving School, but they strike me as the typical "CDL Mill" that people talk about on here.

Another school I looked at is Transportation Center For Excellence. They are based in Eagan. I went down and talked to one of the principals there and wasn't too impressed. They charge $7,500, which seems pretty high for what they are offering.

I also got some information from Century College in White Bear Lake. THeir program costs $3,000, and seems to offer everything that TCE does for $4,500 more.

The one that has impressed me the most so far is Dakota CountyTechnical College. They charge $4,500, but their course is 300 hours long. The only negative is that this course takes 8 weeks to complete. Their facilities look very nice. They offer a free tour every Tuesday. I was hoping to get down there yesterday but I couldn't make it. Maybe I'll go to next week's tour.

Let me know if you come across any good ones in the Twin Cities area, and I'll do the same for you. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Well thats pretty much what i have been doing i'm finding out that alot of companies like tce and dakota tech for minnesota unless you go out to stcloud ,tce come on get realistic 7500 when i talked to themthey were like ya thats a deal we are good they also said they were useing PTDI materials when i asked are you PTDI certified thay responded we use their materials.The nice thing about interstate was the evenings my first school was century but sofar the companies ive talked to havent had them approved which seems strange they have been their for along time.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Just thought i put my two cents in. I went to TCE found the school was very helpful during the whole process of becoming a truck driver. All the way from getting the money to pay for the school (ask your local unemployment office they might pay for it!!!) to the very end of landing you a job in truck driver.

good luck and be safe
Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

TCE sounds good,Its not the money although thats alot Its the fact that certain companies select schools that you can goto weather their any better than the 3500 dollar schools or not and knowing what school fancies the companies but if you want to drive thats what you do.You said you graduated from tce what kind off companies recruited from their?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerroy
TCE sounds good,Its not the money although thats alot Its the fact that certain companies select schools that you can goto weather their any better than the 3500 dollar schools or not and knowing what school fancies the companies but if you want to drive thats what you do.You said you graduated from tce what kind off companies recruited from their?
I graduated from TCE too...... In August of 2007, and I'm still unemployed. Whichever school you choose to attend, you will get job offers from companies w/high turnover ratings... but make sure that you have a good back round...That plays a roll on companies excepting you.

If I were you I'd go around and ask students or student grads about the schools they graduated from just to get a better understanding of how they teach at the school. what is done day to day..

I'll give you the lowdown......
week1-Getting Permit(be wise and get permitt before starting you'll be so much ahead and into the truck sooner)
Week2-bobtailing and trailer driving. You must be able to shift and drive well before you can haul a trailor..
Week3-Learning how to straight line reverse and alleydock reverse. This is for 1/2 the day, the other 1/2 is out with instructors driving.
Week4-Get help improving weaknesses,more driving,and more backing.
Later that thursday of the 4th week will be the day of your CDL liscense test in Rochester,MN..

Basiclly, The faster you learn the faster more hands on opportunity you get....
Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM

I went to Interstate Trucking, and got the "contractors special" which was just two hours of backing, two hours of driving, and the test and before y'all jump on me for not getting a full education for driving, I'm going to school in the fall for Heavy Truck Mechanic technology -

I am EXTREMELY happy with Interstate trucking. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going back for the full 160 hours of training, since I recently found out that the school I want to go to won't take any 1st year students until Fall of 2009, and filling the time by getting some driving experience I think would be helpful in applying for a job at a shop. I'll have a "real world" idea of what types of breakdowns, and I'll have the opportunity to talk to LOTS of drivers and get an idea of what they expect from a mechanic, at the same time making some money earning an honest living as a driver.

Anyhow ... at Interstate Truck Driving school, these guys are all truckers, AND educators. They know their stuff, AND they know how to teach. They care about what they do, and they want everyone to be safe out on the road. Not only is that what they say, but it's also what I was able to see in the classroom.

They first work on you getting your actual Class A license - I like this concept, because many of the other schools, you get your license at the END of the program, and if you fail, you're kinda stuck, at Interstate, if you fail, they work with you on the portions that you had difficulties with, and help you learn what it takes to be a safe driver, and pass the state test.

I gotta say, from personal experience - I'd never driven an unsynchronized transmission, so I paid for "2 hours shifting practice" - for starters, it was WAY easier than I'd imagined. Secondly, the instructor picked up on my "driving style" right away, offered good instruction, and helped me pick out what things I was doing that could be turned into bad habits, and helped me correct them before they became bad habits. It was supposed to be 2 hours of driving and shifting, it turned into about 2 1/2 hours, and I wasn't charged for any extra time. My "backing practice" went over by about a total of 45 minutes, since there were no other students scheduled to use the truck.

Personally, I'd give this school 5 out of 5 stars. I suppose I'll have more input after I go through the full program.

Also, directly from their website ...

Quote:
ITDS is licensed by the MN Department of Public Safety which is the agency that regulates commercial schools in Minnesota. We use PTDI approved materials which is the best available training source in the industry. In Minnesota, accreditation is only given to schools regulated by the Department of Education and since we are a commercial school we are not allowed to use that credential.
(is it okay if I put a link to the school in here?)

http://www.interstatedriving.com/index.shtml

--Dave.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Rookie

RUN as fast as you can from ITDS (Interstate Truck Driving School) and don't look back. They are a joke and you won't get the proper training. Been there done that. Now I am going to CVTC (Chippewa Valley Technical College) and getting the proper training with instructors that will help you in any way they can and as much as you need. I have learned more in the 3 days I've been attending CVTC than the 7 months I was stuck at ITDS. Some trucking companies and possibly some MN workforce centers and/or MN exam stations don't want anything to do with ITDS. Seriously, do you want to learn everything on your own at ITDS, or would you prefer to get your moneys worth and more? How would you like to learn to back a trailer (at ITDS) using a golf cart and a small trailer in a storage facility? I repeat: RUN as fast as you can from ITDS and don't look back!!! At CVTC they have a very nice variety of vehicles and trailers, a large driving range, backing range, skid pad and also a simulator. I believe by the time the class is done, a person will have between 700 and 800 hours training. Paper work is done basically online, so your time at the school is mainly in the trucks. My opinion is don't go to a private school. Go through one of the technical colleges.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Rookie

I gotta disagree with the above post. I'm currently enrolled at ITDS in Minnesota, and I have no problem with the school, instructors or curriculum. Granted, you will spend a few hrs with an electric cart and trailer, but anyone who has backed a boat or other trailer knows that there is a trick to backing, and the concept is very similar to backing a semi-trailer. That said, the next day after the electric cart practice, I was backing a semi-trailer with an instructor, and then spent some hours on my own over the next few days backing on their range. I don't doubt that a Technical school may be more hands on and spend more one on one time with there students. If that is what you need to learn to drive a truck, fine. But, if you are willing to put in the time and apply yourself, and have the ability to pick things up fairly quickly, there is nothing wrong with ITDS.
I plan to be out of there and working after 2 months so it will of been worth it to me.