User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My experiance with Savannah Tech

Okay I have been lurking on these boards for about 10 years finishing up while finishing up an Army career. I have learned so much that I feel compelled to give back a little. I will share with you my perception of the CDL program at Savannah Technical college.
The program is excellent but the execution could use some fine tuning. The course is 10 weeks long, with 5 weeks spent on the basic skills range ( drop & hook, backing, and button hook turning) then 4 weeks on the road, the 10th week you test then graduate. The classes are from 3 to 11 at night Monday through Thursday. The tuition is $2100. paid by the State lottery hope grant. with about $400. worth of out of pocket expenses.
Pros: The tuition, great program. and the length of the course. Even thought the State paid my tuition for being a resident, it is still anywhere between half to a third of what most schools charge. The program I think was awesome there where 3 students per truck at the most. From reading about most schools there courses are only 3 to 4 weeks long, I can only see hoe you would learn rnough to kill some one with the truck. They taught us a lot more than what was needed to pass the CDL test.
Cons: Okay keep in mind I have spent 22 years in the Army so take this with a grain of salt. To me a class time means what time I need to be seated with my note book and pencil out ready to learn. Well are class time was at 3 PM and the instructor would come up at about 3:20 or 3:30, to me that was inexcusable. The instructors did a lot of do what I say not what I do. For example they told us to turn off our cell phones then they would be in the front of the Class teaching and there cell phones would go of and the would take it ( No excuse me or sorry about that either) The crap that the instructors took off the students.
Knowing what I know now I would do it all over again.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Rookie
Default Savannah also

Greetings,

My name is Tim, I'm also in Savannah. I was wondering if after your training you were able to find a job?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Tim sorry for taking so long to respond. To answer your question yes, thr standard for you to graduate from Savannah tech is to have your doubles atriples and tankers endorsement, The company I started with was a tanker company. You hade to have your tanker endorsment and needed to get your HAZMAT endorsment within 90 days. Igot my HAZMAT endorsment and have since left the company to do LTL work