User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prime Trucking Apprenticeship

Anyone familiar with Prime Inc. and their apprenticeship approach to training?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Default Re: Prime Trucking Apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetBrown
I would be interested in an answer to EmmetBrown's question.....anyone?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I don't know the details but from cyber communication with someone who started driving for them back in November, I was surprised to learn he was still with a trainer in March--not sure what to make of that. He seemed perfectly satisfied with the company. Elsewhere, I've read negative stuff about the company.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Rookie
Default hey man

We had a guy here at c-1 in st louis mo.. get dropped cause of misc things that where not in his control.. but anyhow he got hooke dup with prime in springfield,mo.... details we heard where kinda crappy.. all he has is his cdl permit.. hes got on with a trainer right away but all he is getting is 150 a week.. and has to be with trainer for 80,000 miles combined.. him and trainer combined before he gets his cdl.. i think that part sounds fishy.. but he got on with them though... i think prime is all owner ops any how.. welp peace
Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Default Prime training

From my conversations with Prime I honestly feel that they are trying to put together a great training program. Their way of training will more than likely be the norm when the FMCSA changes the rules and regulation. Training should be a year or more.

As a driving school owner who has tried to sell the 1year apprentice program to other companies. I can tell you the response I got was "we don't have time for this all we want is students as fast as you can get them to us". I don't permit these companies are in my school.

The fact is the training won't change for the better until these large companies, wake up and realize that they are part of the problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Kind of late reply, but what do you want to know?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Rookie
Default Prime Inc

What I know is only what the company has told, 1st week in MS get my cdl perm. on the road three weeks with a trainer during which time I will get a allowance of 140 a week.
After that I take my Test (and Pass) I go back out with a trainer again, and I get $500.00 a week or .10 cents a mile for combined miles which ever is greater.
not sure how long I think its 4 to 6 more weeks until I can become a company driver @ .35Cents a mile.
I am Leaving for MS to start the training process on sat Sept 25Th and will give you update on my progression (PROS and CONS)as I go throughout each steps, from permit to CDL and Beyond...
BigDogg

***Let us not forget our POWs and MIAs *****
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Rookie
Default Back From Prime

Ok !
Just got back from Prime and here is everything you want to know about the CDL course.
Once I arrived at prime they put me up in their training center/campus hotel.
the first week was spent with orientation and cramming for your Permit test. ( if you go get the Cdl study guide from your D.O.T and start reading it.. don't try to memorize it. read it several time over be for you get their.. all mutable choice.

you will have there attempts to pass and they give you two days...

once you have your permit you will get ready to go out (one on one with a certified Instructor) where you will learn the basic skills and get your first taste of living on the road. Depending on your instructor you may not even get to drive until your third week out.
My instructor had me driving the vary first week out.

By this time you have spent one week in orientation and testing and 3 to 4 weeks on the road depending on your ability to pick up on the skills.
(5 weeks)
While you are training On the road you will get an allowance of 140.00 a week for your road expenses (you will pay this back at 25.00 a week once your training is complete) IT IS AN ADVANCE

week 5 or 6 you return to Springfield the day or 2 before your skills test. and practice for the test.

you have to pass all three skills test, Pre-trip, Backing and road test. to complete your CDL training and get your CDL.

YOU HAVE THREE CHANCES... I passed my backing and pre-trip and failed my road test the first time. so my instructor and practice over the week end, went back next day and Passed road test and got my CDL..

Now were are not done yet...
Now I have to go out with a trainer for 60,000. combined miles, (accumulative miles of you and your trainer) Now your getting payed a guaranteed weekly amount of 500.00 a week or .10 cents a mile for those 60,000 miles.

Once you have done that then you have the option of being a company driver for there RTS division or staying out for another 20,000 miles and coming back and get into a lease program ( which by the way you will not own the truck after the lease) you turn it in and they will lease you another one... and your lease payment is 725.00 a week ( that's right ,, a week)
PROS and CONS

Pros.
+ it is some of the best tarining out their
+ they do a great job of taking care of you while your their in Springfield and on the road.
+ one on one with a certified instructor
+instructors are A++
+ more actual road time then any community collage or independent by the time your finished you will know if OTR trucking is for you.schools
+ equipment is 2005 and newer and well equiped.

Cons.
+Most expensive lease program if you want to go lease operator.
+ 140.00 road expense is an advance and you will pay it back.
+ if you have a family then you already know that the 500. a week guarantee is not enough to give you peace of mind while you are completing 60,000 + Miles over the road
+THE HOME TIME SUCK.. I didn't get back home until this week.
+ now that I am home for home time I don't get payed until I go back out with my trainer and then home on thanksgiving Day and then out till Xmas.

so their you have it, a fresh prospective of training at prime.
over all it was a great oppertunity and great training program.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Rookie
Default whew...

I'm glad someone who actually went through that program and posted it here. I had been considering it.... but had read some bad stuff about working at the company. I know they push the lease...but the training is perfect for what I'm looking for in a school.
Good luck out there!

Keep us posted.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Rookie

well the only thing i can tell u about prime is DONT AND I REPEAT DONT get into the lease to own Yeh sure for the first 2 yrs its great work work and more work its really easy to make the payments but then @ 3 yrs they will cut back on the loads you get which in turn means payments get behind. honestly go with a company that has a great respect for there equipment and drivers and there famlies. Personally I took TMC yes i do have eperience @ 13 yrs. but every company has its haters it all depends on the person and there atitude. But when it comes to training TMC has one of the best training and apprentice trainings out there 12days paid training ( 6 days classroom 6 days range and road) $300.00 then 6 weeks with a trainer $350.00 then off with your brand new peterbilt (owner operator spec.) and if something happens to it it is cobbled back together like some of the other companies around that you see everyday on the road.