User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving Schools in Phoenix

Does anybody know of any decent schools in Phoenix. My brother drives for Werner and gets tons of miles. I don't know why anybody bad mouths them. He got a new truck in June with 60 miles on it and now has 73,000. He said he can train me when i get out of school but don't know who to call. I have seen prices from $1200 to $5,000. There is a community college here that trains but looks like there booked up for a while. any help and insight would be great.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Rookie
Default Truck Driving School in Phoenix

Check out Southwest Truck Driver Training in Phoenix, AZ. We care about your future!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 AM

They may care but
make sure they go over the contract with you before you sign as they will try to tell you nothing if you don't ask as I found out today. They are like used car salemen. Basically dishonest. I found out for a fact today. Still going to school there but I got ripped a new one as I trusted them and didn't read or ask to much as I was just exited to get going on a new career. Oh well I'll find a trucking co to help cover the cost but beware of all schools and trucking cos. If you are up in Wa. why not check out Gordon as they seem to be fairly honest.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM

there's also AIT (american institute of technology) in phoenix. thats the only other one I know of. you can google "truck driving school phoenix az" and get some hits that way.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

AIT is a good school I went there. You will be hired by the company you choose before you graduate.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:18 AM

Just finished first week@ Southwest Truck Driving School In Phx.
I was a little upset at first but mainly at myself for not asking more questions about tuition. They are out to make money for sure, but the school does seem to be very professional. The instructor is very good and very helpful if you ask questions. The facilities are good, big practice lot with good equipment. They will do everthing they can to get you hired before you graduate and also give you lifetime employment assistance. I recommend them. Nice people and are committed to seeing you succeed. Got my cdl practice permit today. Scored 96% !! hoorah
Old 09-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
Just finished first week@ Southwest Truck Driving School In Phx.
I was a little upset at first but mainly at myself for not asking more questions about tuition. They are out to make money for sure, but the school does seem to be very professional. The instructor is very good and very helpful if you ask questions. The facilities are good, big practice lot with good equipment. They will do everthing they can to get you hired before you graduate and also give you lifetime employment assistance. I recommend them. Nice people and are committed to seeing you succeed. Got my cdl practice permit today. Scored 96% !! hoorah
Just finished week two at SouthWest Truck Driver Training today. I am glad I chose SWTDT. I've completely gotten over my initial impression of them and I think they are a great school now. (I always am agitated when I spend lots of money and actually can't physically touch what I spent it on)
Education is not a physical commodity though and what goes into your head can be much more valuable. I am now grateful to SW for what I am buying. Of course I may hate driving a bigass truck OTR once I start doing it, but they are showing me how to do it safely and professionally and it will be well worth the $4500 its costing.($3995 if you pay cash.) Anyway, it will all be reimbused by my first employer so I ain't really spending nothing but a little time up front. Roll on!!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Rookie
Default Southwest Truck Driving school

Thanks for the updates nobotox. Been researching here in Las Vegas and was considering Swift in Phx but the 4 man 2 bunk beds to a room is a turnoff so private school is winning but which one? This post whittled it down to AIT and Southwestern. Both sound good. Keep the updates coming for motivation. Who would you like to work for? Gordon looks interesting but just starting to research the companies that hire SW school grads. May be getting ahead of myself here. How long is the SWTS training program, start to CDL and cost? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Re: Southwest Truck Driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusa
Thanks for the updates nobotox. Been researching here in Las Vegas and was considering Swift in Phx but the 4 man 2 bunk beds to a room is a turnoff so private school is winning but which one? This post whittled it down to AIT and Southwestern. Both sound good. Keep the updates coming for motivation. Who would you like to work for? Gordon looks interesting but just starting to research the companies that hire SW school grads. May be getting ahead of myself here. How long is the SWTS training program, start to CDL and cost? Thanks for any info.
rakusa-- glad to help. I know what your going through as I started researching this stuff in Oct 05 I started to go to Englands in house school in Salt Lake in Oct then got on with ups for xmas. Started to go to Stevens in Dallas 4 weeks ago but got cold feet on that as they seemed to be not so honest about everything. Then I started to read everything I could about schools , trucking co's etc here at cad and am i glad I did. Found to much negative on England and Stevens so they are off my list after if I get my cdl on my own. But for sure the best way to do it is get your cdl without signing a contract with any company to go to there school or sponsor you through any school. Pay your own way. Most all OTR companys will reimburse you for all your tuition. 100% Gordon will reimburse you up to $3000. If you can pay cash up front you can get a better deal at most schools. I could have gone through SWTDT for $3995 but had to finance it so they jacked up the price $500. But they got me financed with no co-signer with only $195 down. My credit is not that so good so I am grateful to them for that as I didn't want to bother friends or relatives to co-sign for me. It is worth $500 extra to avoid that. Besides, most bigger OTR companys will reimbuse you !00% for school. You don't sign a contract with them, they just contribute $100-$150 a month to basically make your payments for you until it is paid off. Of course if you leave them before its paid off you still make your normal payments but you don't owe the trucking co. anything. So as long as you stay with a company long enough they will pay your loan off a month at a time. You may have to pitch in a little extra as your payments are normally around $150 -$200 a month. Mine will be $165 a month. If my company pays $150 then I only need to pay $15 a month outa my pocket. If the co says they will pay 100% they continue to give you $100-$150 a month until they have given you the full amount of the loan including interest,even though the loan is already paid off. Naturally this could take 2-3 years cause they don't usually pay what your loan pmt per month is. If you find a good company and stay there long enough education is free. If you do the company sponsored deal then if you quit they usually stick it to you and they want full payoff of loan right now.
From what I have learned Gordon is a good company, they just might not pay off your entire loan. They don't pay as good as some but better than many. They pay practical miles but don't have safety bonuses,etc. They have good equipment and I love the color of their trucks. They are high on my list. I have an application in front of me now but I think I am going to sign on with May Trucking. They pay $500 a week for training and after training they pay.32 mile and .36 @ 1 year. Gordon pays only $350 a week training but they also give you $600 signing bonus as a newbie @$200 a pop. $200 when the trainer picks u up after orientation. Then $200 on first check after solo and $200 @ 3 months I believe. Lots depends on what you wanna pull also. I still have deboer on my list as a flatbed company. A little more work with securing cargo and tarping but better pay and the shippers and receivers aren't usually as obnoxious as grocery warehouses and such. Lots to consider in this business. I got my tanker endorsement and am going to get my hazmat. I am not going to go to tankers right off the bat though as they require more skill and I have none as yet.
At May I will need to get my hazmat as that is a requirement. Only reason I didn't get it already was you have to get a FBI background check and that costs $90 which I really don't have right now.
As for schools. I checked out Western Truck here and almost went there but they didn't care to help much with financing and they wanted $600 down and a co-signer. Their facilities were kinda crappy here. Just a little strip mall small setup with no on site truck practice range. I don't know much about AIT other than they got a cool flash website and they want more money. They put the hardsell on you also as I couldn't get no info from them over the phone. I didn't even go over to there place cause they were kinda snobby I felt over the phone. I went to SWTDT last and was impressed with facilities even though it was an old place. They have a great onsite practice area though and the trainers and director are super. They also include lifetime placement after graduation and help you to have a job lined up before graduation. Like any contract though you just need to read it thoroughly before signing and ask questions. You can wheel and deal with them some as they want your business and nothing is set in stone. Like buying a car. But from what I know after 2 weeks I am very happy with SWTDT in Phx. The owners son runs this one here so I can't tell you nothing about the Las vegas one, but I would imagine it is pretty similiar as far as professionlism. School is 4 weeks 160 hours which is what most co's that hire students require. And smart thing to do is get a cdl manual from dmv and get ahead of the game. Thats what I did and the classroom stuff and passing test at dmv for permit was a breeze. You can also download a cdl manual here. http://www.schneiderjobs.com/drive_i...ain.html#study Main thing is research all your options. They are screaming for truck drivers out there as there is a huge shortage of em and only getting worse.
For more Gordon stuff check out this link. http://gordontrucker.blogspot.com/ and search CAD member KONA911.
Good luck. nobotox
Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 AM

Hoorah! Got my CDL last Friday. SWTDT school did what they promised. Taught me just enough to get it. Scary to think they let people with so little knowledge of driving a big rig actually drive one. I will sure be watching out for some of my fellow classmates. They were down right scary and they passed. I at least scored a 94 combined classroom and driving. Watch out fellow motorists here comes another newbie!! Better get more insurance!! lol