User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ipad in the truck

I've been using a laptop in the truck for years, but am starting to consider getting an ipad. ALK's CoPilot is available for it (that's what I run now). RAM Mounts has 2 new ipad mounts that will be available soon. One has a combination lock you have to use to remove the ipad, the other just 'clips' in. What I like about those mounts is that it has the connector built into it, so you basically just slip the ipad into the dock and it's connected to the charger, and if you want, other stuff, like the truck's stereo or such.

Anyone else using an ipad in the front of the truck for navigation and such? If so, what nav software do you use, as well as other useful apps?

Here's the links to the mounts if you want to check them out:
Locking mount
Non-Locking mount
You can also get a locking knob to replace the standard 'T' knob that's on the ram mounts: Locking adjustment knob

Here's a cheaper place to get that mount: RAM Mount RAM-HOL-AP8D2U Plastic Apple iPad 2 Dock Mount Cradle with Uni-Conn
Old 02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Thought I'd expand on this a bit. I've been doing some looking around and found some very helpful things:

Drivers Daily Log: App Store - Drivers Daily Log
Use your current PC printer with the ipad (pre-IOS 5): How To Enable AirPrint for Windows and Print From Any Printer | iPad Help
Use your current PC printer with the ipad (post-IOS 5): AirPrint for Windows and iOS 5 | iPad Help
Truckstop locator: App Store - Truck & Travel - Truck Stops, Washes, Rest Areas and Services
Truckstops (I use this one on the Android - great app): App Store - Truck Stops
Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Fax Print and Share for the ipad: Fax Print & Share for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

You've bought one. All that's left is the formality of pulling out the plastic and making it official.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Board Icon

I was really hoping the new one they rolled out what, this past Thursday, would be like the Kindle my wife has. No data plan needed, it runs on Sprint 3G or Wi-Fi but alas, Apple didn't do that with this model. If they were to do that, game over, those things would sell hotter than hotcakes.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I finally broke down and bought an ipad yesterday. I didn't "need" the new ipad (iPad 3, new iPad, whatever), but they didn't have the ipad 2 3G version any more. The only reason I had to get one with the cellular (3G/4G) is because the wi-fi version doesn't have the GPS in it. You can buy a bluetooth gps receiver, but for what it costs, $20 more and it's built into the tablet. Plus, the cost between the iPad 2 and this one (same memory) was $100, so...

Anyway, I purchased CoPilot Truck for it as soon as I had the tablet set up. Gotta say, they did a good job making the software look identical across all the platforms. I have the car-only version on my Android phone, the truck version on my laptop and now the ipad. There are *very* few differences between them. The ipad version does add the ability to play music directly from the software, which is cool. When it makes an announcement, you can set it to mute the volume, lower the volume, do nothing with the volume or not make announcements when music is playing. The ipad version also will post directly to Facebook for you. It'll post your current location or your next stop & ETA.

I really won't be able to use it for my navigation until my mounting dock gets here, hopefully before I switch jobs next week. I went with a cupholder mount for it to make it easy/fast to take between vehicles. The dock has the ipad connector built into it, so when you slip the ipad into the dock, it's connected to the truck and keeps the battery charged. I had to order an extra arm and double-ball joint for the mount, as well, to raise the tablet up to a usable height in the truck.

I downloaded the Drivers Daily Log app, but not sure on it yet. Hell, I haven't even figured out how to change your status yet. I'll have to play with that some more. Of course, if I go to JB and they run e-logs, well...
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Board Member

BTW, Mr. Ford, I agree. They need to offer an ipad mini, maybe 7-8", same as the Kindle Fire. I was back and forth as to whether or not to go with the ipad and it's larger screen or an Android tablet that was smaller.

But, after playing around on it last night, I like the larger screen. I can actually read the text on it now without having to take my glasses off and squint at it while holding it 3" from my face (getting old sucks). I added a couple of news apps, which are the same as the ones I use on my phone. When I'm done at the end of the day, I would take my phone into the truckstop just to go through the news sites to see what all has happened through the day. The ipad will be great for this.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Rookie

OK, good info. We're looking to go paperless also and while the iPad is nice, the Kindle & Nook are way more affordable. Any driver logs for these? If you were putting an iPad in your truck today, what would be the ideal combination of software and mounts if you wanted to keep the price down?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM

i think i just read something a few days ago,ipad will have sm,ething out this year to compet with kindle and google in the tablet 9"