User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Portable Direct TV

Hi all! My first post. I have some driver friends that need some help with their mobile technology needs. I have all the answers I need so far, but one. Has anyone tried the portable Direct TV receiver while on the road? ( DIRECTV: Sat-Go ) I feel really stupid telling them about computers, pda’s, cell phone apps & not knowing about this one. Can you receive the signal through windshield glass? Direct TV says finding the satellite signal is pretty simple. Has anyone used this successfully? Seems like you would need to have the windshield pointed in a southward position. Which would seem to be a pain sometimes. I’m not sure if it is worth the $1000 but the lady really wants to see her premium channels. Primarily HBO & Encore & I would like to hear any other suggestions how drivers get premium channels besides using the idleaire stops. Thanks for any input on this you can give me.

DIRECTV: Sat-Go

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I found nothing on a search.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I use the VuQube to recieve DirectTv.

VuQube mobile satellite tv for semi truck and rv - the Vu Qube antenna

Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Rookie

Thanks Mike. That looks like a great system. Schneider drivers can't alter the truck in any way or else that would be a better way. I think she likes the built in 17'' screen too. When I was driving, I just used my Motorola RAZR on Sprint to get a lot of channels. I guess I just never considered this before.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophile View Post
Thanks Mike. That looks like a great system. Schneider drivers can't alter the truck in any way or else that would be a better way. I think she likes the built in 17'' screen too. When I was driving, I just used my Motorola RAZR on Sprint to get a lot of channels. I guess I just never considered this before.

You don't need to mount it, I don't. I just set it on the roof or anywhere I can. It's very portable.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Rookie

I see. Do you (can you) use it in the cab? Can the satellite signal be received behind the glass like a GPS satellite signal? I will give her all this info but I'm sure she will go with the 17'' screen on the Direct TV unit. I like the VuQube better. Well . . . Even if I were driving anymore, I would prbably do neither. Do you use a satellite signal finder like the ones at Radio Shack or some of the Sat shops? Or is that built into the VuQube? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophile View Post
I see. Do you (can you) use it in the cab? Can the satellite signal be received behind the glass like a GPS satellite signal? I will give her all this info but I'm sure she will go with the 17'' screen on the Direct TV unit. I like the VuQube better. Well . . . Even if I were driving anymore, I would prbably do neither. Do you use a satellite signal finder like the ones at Radio Shack or some of the Sat shops? Or is that built into the VuQube? Thanks.

It needs to sit outside with a clear view of the southern sky, It has a built in metering system in the remote and then you use the on screen signal finder. I can be watching tv within 5 minutes of stopping. Much better than the old pole and hand tuning in the satelittes for sure.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Rookie

Thanks Mike. I had heard of this but I really didn't know where to find it. That was a big help. The direct tv thing probably needs to be outside also.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the info, Mike. We got everything she wanted with her cell phone & a SlingBox at home.