Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   ABS dash light on (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/36754-abs-dash-light.html)

grainhauler08 01-11-2009 01:56 AM

ABS dash light on

what makes the ABS light stay on along with my trac. control light. Just came on the other day not any kind of bad road conditions to cause this,just came on. I was thinking that maybe I need to adjust up my brakes,could this have a cause for the lights to come on. I have an 01' IH 9400I . Also what is the button on my dash labeled(Diag. ) and hows this work?

Jumbo 01-11-2009 03:22 AM

You may have a bad wheel sensor or maybe a broken wire. The switch marked "Diag" is for getting fault codes if the check engine light comes on.

bob h 01-11-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grainhauler08 (Post 433458)
what makes the ABS light stay on along with my trac. control light. Just came on the other day not any kind of bad road conditions to cause this,just came on. I was thinking that maybe I need to adjust up my brakes,could this have a cause for the lights to come on. I have an 01' IH 9400I . Also what is the button on my dash labeled(Diag. ) and hows this work?

The abs fault code needs to be checked to determine the problem. Adjusting the foundation brakes will NOT turn the abs light off.

The DIAG switched is used to flash engine fault codes.

grainhauler08 01-11-2009 07:51 PM

What ABS code?

I checked wiring over couldn't find any broken wires but could be a sensor. What ABS code? My ABS light was on but no code any where.

allan5oh 01-11-2009 08:13 PM

First, you need to know how to get ABS codes out of the computer. This will tell you what's going on. More then likely it is a rear axle.

From there, go to that axle and swap the wiring side to side(put right side wiring on left sensor, and left sensor on right side wiring). This will tell you if it's the wiring or the sensor. If it's the sensor, the code will switch from left side to right side, or vice versa. If it's wiring, the code will not change. Make sure to pay attention to "active" or "stored" codes.

ABS units are usually behind the transmission somewhere. You may have to change the wiring all the way from there right to the plug for the sensor. It is a good idea to use quality light cord wire(good to -65, nice and flexible!). It's not cheap but it will outlast the truck if installed correctly.

Good luck.

Kranky 01-11-2009 08:30 PM

Since all this snow & cold has been happening around here, we have had a couple instances of the ABS wire going to the sensor on one of the front wheels breaking off. I would suspect that slush & ice is buiding up on the wire making it heavy and breaking it off.

Double check the wiring coming from the wheel speed sensors, that would be the most likely place that a problem would occur.

Also keep in mind that during the time that the dash lights are indicating a fault with ABS & Trac, the ABS & Traction control systems are inoperative.

boneebone 01-12-2009 12:06 AM

Could be a bad sensor or a improperly positioned sensor not reading the tone ring.

Shnerdly 01-12-2009 03:01 AM

It's not uncommon for the ABS light to come on with many trucks. Sometimes it's just dirt or rust particles on the exciter ring inside the drum. If it stays on for more then a day or two then it's probably a bad sensor or wire. The ABS computers don't fail too often.

Larry227 01-12-2009 08:19 AM

Most of the time it's a sensor or the wiring for the sensor. Since it's an IH it's probably a Bendix system. If all the wiring looks ok then you pretty much need to pull the codes to pinpoint it. There are a couple things you can check though. You can unplug the sensors and check them with a multi-meter. A good sensor should have a steady reading of between 900-2500ohms.
Don't forget to check the ABS fuse.
Have you had a wheel seal replaced recently? A lot of times when a hub is pulled if the sensor isn't re-adjusted it will throw an air gap code after it's put back together.
Some ABS faults are as simple to find as testing a sensor or checking a fuse and I've had others that took hours if it was a bad wire in the middle of the harness.

grainhauler08 01-13-2009 01:00 AM

Great information

Thanks everyone,It has been bad as far as weather and roads are concerned,probably slush frozen on a sensor or wire and broke. I never knew had a abs fuse,will check that out. If its something else will have to go until warms up,don't have abs on trailer and never use trac control so not really going to bother me much except the freaking lights. I wish I knew how to pull codes,this is new to me. I never got a book with this truck,thought maybe that would help me on alot of things i don't know,if the book gives much info.