Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Water pump on Cat C-12. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/36030-water-pump-cat-c-12-a.html)

4GIVEN 10-30-2008 07:20 PM

Water pump on Cat C-12.

I have an 1999 International 9200i with a Cat C-12 and the water pump is leaking antifrezze in the oil. Does anyone know if a normal schmuck like me can tackle a job like this and is there a good online store I can purchase the water pump? Thanks for your help!!

4GIVEN 10-30-2008 09:03 PM

I just got a call back from the dealer and they said $375. Is that a good price?

bob h 10-30-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4GIVEN (Post 420793)
I have an 1999 International 9200i with a Cat C-12 and the water pump is leaking antifrezze in the oil. Does anyone know if a normal schmuck like me can tackle a job like this and is there a good online store I can purchase the water pump? Thanks for your help!!

How did you verify that the water pump is the cause of 'water in the base'?

4GIVEN 10-31-2008 12:47 AM

Well, I had an oil change done and I noticed that my coolant was a little low and I had the oil tested at my local cat dealer and it came back positive for coolant. The guy there told me that the water pump was the main culprit for the coolant in the oil. My engine was just overhauled about 30k ago. I was just starting with the water pump.

bob h 11-01-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4GIVEN (Post 420843)
Well, I had an oil change done and I noticed that my coolant was a little low and I had the oil tested at my local cat dealer and it came back positive for coolant. The guy there told me that the water pump was the main culprit for the coolant in the oil. My engine was just overhauled about 30k ago. I was just starting with the water pump.

I can't remember specifically with the c12, because i haven't worked on a lot of them... but, in 99.9% of cooling system water pumps, there is an airspace between the cooling system and the crankcase where a weep hole will leak coolant 'on it's way' to the oil side of the engine.

Therefore... it has to pass through; the coolant side seal, then across an open airspace (where it should leak out onto the ground), and then through the oil seal on the opposite side of the weep hole area.

...not a typical failure. Unless the weep hole is plugged, or there is some sort of flaw in that coolant pump mounting that i'm not aware of as a problem, which is also possible ; )

4GIVEN 11-19-2008 03:26 PM

Well I changed the water pump and all is good. I havent used any coolant since. That water pump had about 680k on it, so I guess it needed it. Im going to wait a little bit and have the oil tested again. Thanks for everyones response.