User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Oils in truck

Do any of you use Amsoil? If so, what's your experience with it? Such as miles life, consumption (compared to conventional), etc? Thinking of changing to Amsoil and becoming dealer here at our shop but on the fence. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I gave it a try in my 2006 ISX, but I kept getting spikes in lead and a few other issues, so I gave up on it. I have been using Schaeffer for a while now. The cost is very competitive with Wally World pricing and it is shipped for free to your front door. And if you get 55 gal drum amount (which I do) you get free oil sample kits and analysis thrown in the deal. I have been using a 15w40 synthetic blend they have with good results, but I want better cold weather flow since I stay in the upper midwest year round, so I am considering their 5w40 full synthetic. Just talked with my rep and they want $669 for a 30 gallon drum, shipped free. Amsoil's preferred pricing on their 5w40 synthetic is $801.00 and you still have to pay for shipping. Schaeffer is the oldest oil and lube manufacturer in N. America, since 1839. They make very good products. You don't see them on regular retail shelves since that is not their main market. They cater to commercial users. They developed the lubes for the Apache Attack helicopter and the Abrams M1 tank. Get an idea that they might know what they are doing?

I don't sell it, only use it. You have to go thru a commercial field rep to get the stuff. They will set you up with a commercial account and ship free on orders over $375. I am fond of their fuel additive and their grease is fantastic. If you want more info, give Dan Dykema, my rep, a call or send him a note.

Schaeffer Oil | Dan Dykema - Sully, IA - Oil, Grease & Specialized Lubricants

You can find all the technical data sheets on their products here....

Schaeffer Oil | MSDS, Technical Data Engine Oil, Lubricants, Fuel Additive, Grease Sheets

Technical data sheet on their 5w40 synthetic....

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/244-9000-td.pdf
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Rookie

Amway, oops I mean Amsoil, is a bunch of hype. Some of their oils do not meet engine mfrs. spec. Why would you want to buy something other than one of the top 3 or 4 oils on the market. Lots of users go a million miles with regular oils.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. They make some pretty good products, but it depends on what is being discussed. The make some very good gear and transmission fluids. But the bulk of what they do caters to the average consumer market.

I just decided to avoid that marketing game and go with a oil whose primary market is commercial users and the products are developed primarily for that market.

Even with that, most every major name brand motor oil is good. No need to pay inflated pricing for oil. And probably the best results I have ever seen with modern oils are the synthetic blend varieties. Mobil makes a very good synthetic blend in the Delvac Elite lineup. Rotella T5 synthetic blend is darn good also. Delo has one as well. I have been using Schaeffer synthetic blends for about 4 years now. Much better performance from the oils compared to a conventional oil, and very price competitive with them. Full synthetics just don't seem to offer the overall value for the dollar. They are good and do have a slight edge on the others, but not at the price range for them. The full synthetics just do not offer the best bang for the buck. Of course, folks who use them swear by them, but most people after they drop a lot of money on something don't want to think they are wasting their money. That is understandable. But the numbers I have seen from used oil samples, technical data sheets, and just plain user opinions, the full synthetics are not worth the cost. A synthetic blend, that is another story. They are very cost effective and worth taking a look at.