User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2000 Freightliner 60 Series Detroit

Need help finding out a problem starting now. Changed out the Turbo and cranked it up. After cranking it had a little sputter to it. Pressed the accelerator and the motor ran (revved) out of control for about 15 to 20 seconds before we got it to shut off. Only way it would shut off was by putting it in gear. Would not shut off with the key. Smoke was everywhere. Coming from under the hood and out of the pipes. Now the only way it will start is with ether. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Some say the motor is blown and some say that it could be an over rev sensor if this truck has one of those. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you checked the turbo? A blown turbo will smoke. It has been awhile since I have blown a turbo, but as I recall, smoke was everywhere and power was diminished. With one, I shut it off and it would not start for awhile. That was a Detroit engine. I would not drive it far if it is the turbo. If you have a mechanic close to you who could connect to the ECM, they might be able to give you an idea of the problem. Any shop that is Detroit certified could check it for you. It doesn't take long to check the ECM. What color is the smoke? It could also be a cracked head or head gasket. Have you checked the oil for water?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Rookie

Was it running forwards or backwards? I've seen some engines start in reverse and continue to run for a while with smoke coming out of the intake(was the oil pressure light on?). Two stroke detroits and Cats anyway, never been around a four cycle Detroit. What was wrong with the old turbo? Was it leaking a lot? If the motor gets a slug of motor oil in the intake tract it will burn it just like diesel fuel with no control of rpms until it burns it all up. Try and start it again, but first uncover the intake side of the turbo and have a helper there with a piece of plywood or metal plate that will cover the intake hole. Start the engine and,if it starts to run away, he can use the plate to shut off the air and kill the engine.

Last edited by mike in idaho; 11-22-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: more content