User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2010 IH Prostar clutch problems

Hello I'm new to this forum and only been driving for almost a year with a single company. Here's the problem i drive a 2010 International Prostar 6x4 double bunkwith a 435hp 15L? cummins backed by a standard 10spd. my driving style is mixture of float and double clutching, and progessive shifting from 1300-1600rpms. It started having problems a few days ago where I shifted to nuetral and coast bout a 100ft to a stopsign. When the traffic started to ease up enough i could make my turn from the side road, I pushed clutch in and waited a moment to place in gear so it would not grind and it grinded like a son of a gun so I released clutch petal and reapplied it and waited a few moments and tried again still grinded, like as if i wasn't applying any pressure to clutch petal. So I shut truck off and restarted and everything started working fine again. Next time same nite i was able to roll enough to float into 1st gear, and after that it started working fine again. Has happened twice since then in the past two days. Any help or advice is welcome and thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Some clutches have a brake on them that engages when fully depressed. It stops the transmission shaft spinning to go into first gear without grinding when stopped. Fuller transmissions have this I believe. If the brake is worn, it will grind when trying to go into first when stopped.

When double clutching, the pedal should not be fully depressed, as the clutch brake engages only when the pedal is fully depressed. Fuller's shifting instructions say to depress the clutch only part way when moving so the brake does not engage.

Maybe you already know this, but I drove for awhile without finding it out.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyoungster View Post
Hello I'm new to this forum and only been driving for almost a year with a single company. Here's the problem i drive a 2010 International Prostar 6x4 double bunkwith a 435hp 15L? cummins backed by a standard 10spd. my driving style is mixture of float and double clutching, and progessive shifting from 1300-1600rpms. It started having problems a few days ago where I shifted to nuetral and coast bout a 100ft to a stopsign. When the traffic started to ease up enough i could make my turn from the side road, I pushed clutch in and waited a moment to place in gear so it would not grind and it grinded like a son of a gun so I released clutch petal and reapplied it and waited a few moments and tried again still grinded, like as if i wasn't applying any pressure to clutch petal. So I shut truck off and restarted and everything started working fine again. Next time same nite i was able to roll enough to float into 1st gear, and after that it started working fine again. Has happened twice since then in the past two days. Any help or advice is welcome and thanks in advance.
First advise is don't coast in neutral, bad habbit to be in. Aside from that I also driven IH's for years and I've yet to ever see a clutch brake work right. Probably all it is. Try hitting R first then your gear and see if that stops the grind. When I had a Volvo the second that pedal hit the floor I could go into anything I wanted. I miss my Volvo.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Board Regular

Write it up and get the clutch looked at by the mechanic next time you get back to the shop.

And tell your dispatcher too.

Probably just needs to be adjusted but that's a mechanics decision.

(Disclaimer: I'm an o/o and at Halloween had my clutch/transmission replaced with 920k miles on them caused by a failed pilot bearing)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Rookie

I am a mechanic for a living and also drove for a long time before hanging my keys up, God i miss my Pete but anyways it sounds like the clutch brake is not engaging properly.
You should have at least 2 inches of free play at the top of the clutch pedal and to check the clutch brake push the pedal to the floor and when it is down you should feel in your foot
some resistance like u are stepping on a balloon. Best way i can describe it. If there is no resistance then the clutch brake is out of adjustment. Also stop double clutching it is the worst
thing for a trans just float the gears in and when coming to a stop put the truck in a gear preferably 2 or 1 but do not put the clutch to the floor this will allow u to have the truck in the right gear.
Hope this helps