User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thoughts on a *VERY* low mileage truck

I found a 2004 Volvo 770 for sale. The truck has 4,201 miles original. That's not a typo - 4,201. It hauled 2 loads and then was parked in a garage in 2005. I don't know why it was parked. I know it's an O/O truck because of the drive fenders. The factory refrigerator still has the packing/shipping tape holding the drawers in place.

Anyway, what do you think of buying a truck been sitting for that long inside of a garage? I know I would be worried about the seals, hoses, tires and air bags. Plus, it would need all of the fluids flushed (not just drained/refilled). Beyond that?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Board Regular

Fluids and hoses are cheap. I'd be concerned with the seals in the engine, tranny and axles.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is still a 9 year old truck. If it could be bought for the right price, I think it might be worth taking a chance. Seals, tires and hoses to dry out with time. You would probably not be able to finance the truck due to the age. If you have the cash to buy and the price was low enough, you could afford to spend a little money on it. I would expect to have to replace some seals, etc., There is no telling what you might run into with a new truck that has been sitting for that long. I have an old suburban that has been sitting for 9 years. It runs and drives good, but the window seals and other cosmetic things have deteriorated with time. I have a 454 with a 400 transmission. It runs good. No leaks. It even started with the old fuel. I did replace the master cylinder and one of the brake lines. Other than that, it is running just fine. It could be the same with the Volvo.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I've picked up some old cars and trucks over the years. I have one on 'stand by' now it's a 64 Sunbeam Alpine. It sat in a garage for about 30 years with out being started. Wheel bearing grease was all dried up but the 30-w oil in the engine was still clean and rear main seal didn't leak! All in all you can expect to replace most rubber parts,and parts with a diaphragm like fuel pumps. I've used auto tranny's that I've had on the shelf in the garage for about 8 yrs without any leakage or problems, just a fluid/filter change.
Your truck has only been setting for 10 years, I would be gentle moving it, maybe before starting it jack up the rears and turn them by hand to lube the gears/bearings/seals.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington