User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40

I use another brand of oil, so not wanting a brand war. Just information. My Cummins manual recommends the Valvoline Premium Blue and, recently, was in for some warranty work and noticed that Cummins is really pushing using the stuff. I realize that Cummins and Ashland Oil (the producer of Valvoline) are somewhat in bed with each other, but curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering how good this oil is and how it stacks up against the other leading brands. Also, I checked with my local tire and oil supply dealer and he will sell the Valvoline PB 15w40 to me for around $10 a gallon. Price didn't seem too bad, so it caused me to start doing a little research, but not much on forums to go on. This also is the only oil that Cummins recommends for extended oil changes and will allow a 5000 mile increased oil change interval over their normal recommended interval. Must be something good about the stuff. Comments appreciated.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

This also is the only oil that Cummins recommends for extended oil changes and will allow a 5000 mile increased oil change interval over their normal recommended interval. Must be something good about the stuff. Comments appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I am always concerned on what the mfg recommends. I think mfg's would love for every one to need to buy new equip sooner & not have parts last long. just like o.e.m. parts. imo oem parts are inferior to other replacement parts. I know nothing about the oil you are talking about, but I bet if you go over the mileage as cummins say you can with this oil & your truck has future problems because of it. cummins will not be responsible for it. they would rather you buy another engine.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member

I was looking at the Valvoline, but finally settled on something else. My supplier would deliver a barrel of Valvoline PB to my door for $10.25 a gallon, but they offered their own name brand synthetic blend 15w40 for $9 a gallon delivered to my door. Specs on the oil were similar to Shell products. Guess it was cheaper since I didn't have to pay for a fancy emblem on the barrel!

I have always been wary of any claims that a particular brand of oil, filter, etc will allow an extended drain. Only used oil analysis will be able to tell for sure. I would agree, heavyhaulerss, that mfg recommendations are to be viewed with some skepticism.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I used to think long ago that maybe o.e.m. was the best cause that was what the mfr recommended. but it is in the mfr interest for their products to last long, but not too long. my experience started 11 years ago, & anyone can do their own test. I have a davco 382 water/fuel separator. it takes a paper type filter in a see thru plastic dome. when the fuel level reaches just before the top, it needs to be changed. I have a ser 60 det. when I put a dd brand filter on it last aprox 25-30 thou miles. if I use donaldson filter it last no more than 13 thou & at times 9 thou, before it needed changing. the o.e.m filt was $5.95 at freightliner dealer. the donaldson was $12.00 twice as much. i figured ya get what ya pay for. the fact that the donalson filter always & i mean always filled up sooner i.m.o. is cause it filtered better causing the filter to be used up sooner. the o.e.m. could not have filtered as good & lasted twice as long. if anyone usues the davco, try the 2 & you will see. i have seen the same with o.e.m. oil filt on my dd. oil gets blacker sooner with o.e.m dd filter than with donaldson. these are the only 2 I have compared & can only comment on these results.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

As far, as I'm concerned, it's all pretty much the same. As long, as it meets or exceed requirements for your engine. So it's mostly convenience, and availability. But somehow, from all "popular" brands, my kitty likes Chevron Delo 400 better....
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I prefer Delo or Delvac, but I agree that they are all pretty much the same. No matter which brand you select it is important to change oil at regular intervals.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
No matter which brand you select it is important to change oil at regular intervals.
.....and sample the oil also, that way you can spot any developing internal engine problems and take appropriate action, before your engine suddenly takes a crap and costs you big $$$$$$.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is a good point, Kranky. It is always best to find a problem before it gets out of hand.