User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Super 10 on the high side.

My super ten transmission is acting strange. When I start out on a trip it and shift it is on the high side 2-4-6-8-10 gears. Cant go into 1-3-5-7-9. This will go on for 20-30 minutes then it will shift fine unless real cold weather then it might not pick up the lower gears. I replaced the splitter valve and the range valve on back of transmission. Even after replacing the range valve sometimes i have to crawl under truck to push down on the little exhaust valve on top of it to get it into gear. Can someone give me some insight, its not nice to be in 10 degree weather with snow and ice on the ground. Thanks.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a s 10 also. mine will not go into 7th easy when it's cold. but once it does the first time, it goes in every time after that. mine dont want to go into any gear when cold. always been that way. maybe after 1.3 mi mil. I should have trans rebuilt. I 'm sorry I can not help you diagnose your prob though.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Board Regular

Thanks heavyhaulerss. I was looking at that option to rebuild my tranny. Then we will be like new again.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

hey just rereading your post. and remembering PLENTY of times air would leak out at the very rear & bottom end of trans. i would usually shake the shifter to stop or hold finger over hole until enough pressure built up to seal itself off. but that still had nothing to do with the shifting, if it's cold... it's hell to get in in gear. it does not grind. it just wont go in. i have changed fluid many times over, & recently 3 weeks ago. no metal. no burn smell. i think my gears & everything else in there is wore out. since i got 1.1 mil out of original factory clutch, i guess i'm trying to get 3 mil out of trans. lol
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

rebuild would run about 3,500
Old 02-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Board Regular

I got a guy here in Jacksonville, FL has a used truck parts place here. He has some and they go through them before he sells them. $2250 plus tax including install.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm new here and I just read your post, so this probably ain't a timely response.

Perhaps air pressure to the splitter yoke is low and won't overcome the increased friction of low temps. Maybe the problem is the filter/regulator supplying low pressure.

...Or, there is an O-ring for the splitter yoke bar that could be worn. I believe it is seated inside the splitter cylinder rather than on the yoke bar itself. It can't be replaced without removing the auxiliary case, but removing the auxiliary case is a lot easier than removing the transmission.

The O-ring is part of an inexpensive kit, and doing a kit job on the splitter cylinder and the range cylinder is much less work and expense than rebuilding a transmission.

Sometimes, worn O-rings turn out to be the culprits with regard to sluggish shifting. While the auxiliary section is removed, you could check to make sure the yokes aren't bent.

stonefly