LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question I'll Bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
My '01 ISX has nearly a million on it, though it had work done on it at 650,000 before I bought it. It's been great for me, I add no oil between changes for one.

This is what I want to say, though: A $9.99 12volt air compressor can really improve the quality of life for an ISX owner. If you don't know why, just ask, I'll elaborate! :smokin: Man, I love that pump!
Ok, I'll bite. Why do you love that pump?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Why do you love that pump?
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I figured other ISX owners would have them, too.

That $9.99 12v pump has saved me a service call more than once, last time I think I was at a fuel island and the truck wouldn't start. My ISX has one of these visible, "glass" bowl fuel filters, and they can lose their prime.

I've changed my fuel filter many times, but one time I just wasn't getting a good seal for some reason I know not why. So with the pump, you pressurize your fuel tank, loosen the cap on top of that bowl so the air escapes, and perhaps loosen the line going into the fuel pump so that air can escape there too- voila!!! A few bubbles here and there, tighten it back up, the prime is back! You can watch the fuel rising in the fuel filter housing as the pressure builds up.

To hook up the air, I pull this lever under my cab that shuts off flow from one of my tanks. On the other, there's a drain tube coming off the top, the nozzle fits into that drain tube perfectly. I watched the service guys do it a couple of times, that's how I learned.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Quote:

That $9.99 12v pump has saved me a service call more than once, last time I think I was at a fuel island and the truck wouldn't start. My ISX has one of these visible, "glass" bowl fuel filters, and they can lose their prime.

I've changed my fuel filter many times, but one time I just wasn't getting a good seal for some reason I know not why. So with the pump, you pressurize your fuel tank, loosen the cap on top of that bowl so the air escapes, and perhaps loosen the line going into the fuel pump so that air can escape there too- voila!!! A few bubbles here and there, tighten it back up, the prime is back! You can watch the fuel rising in the fuel filter housing as the pressure builds up.

To hook up the air, I pull this lever under my cab that shuts off flow from one of my tanks. On the other, there's a drain tube coming off the top, the nozzle fits into that drain tube perfectly. I watched the service guys do it a couple of times, that's how I learned.
Hey, that is a really handy tip. Thanks.

I don't think anyone thought you were trying to be a jerk, I know I didn't. :thumbsup:
Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I dunno, lowrange, my '06 ISX is self priming. I had a blocked vent tube which caused me to run one tank completely dry while the other tank remained half full. Before I figured out what the heck was going on, I ran the line completely out of fuel. Once I figured out what had happened, I just blew out the clogged vent tube, waited a few minutes for the fuel to drain into the right tank, and started her up and drove off. I had to crank it for about twenty seconds and it sputtered to life and then died, but the second time it started up and ran with no problem.

I don’t carry an electric air pump, but I do carry 75 feet of air line fitted with a glad hand adapter and a quick release air chuck and blower. Also have one of those cheapo air blowers that attach to the seat air line. Not only is it good for blowing out the cab of the truck but it also is the only thing we’ve found that works as punishment for our cat. When he starts biting or clawing, all you have to do is lean down like your going to grab the blow gun and before you can get it in your hand he’s in back hiding under the covers. Won’t come out for at least 30 minutes after that.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

For those with the ISX that are disapointed with the fuel mileage, as I was, then you might give this a try....

On a COLD engine, turn the key on without starting, then wait at least 10-15 seconds then unplug the lower plug on the EGR. The ECM will close the valve during the wait time, then the unplug will leave it closed. Will usually only throw a code. Usually no check engine light or limp mode, depending on which truck the engine is in.

The results? How about up to 1 mpg better fuel mileage. I did this some time ago. I have averaged about .8 mpg better than before I did this. The engine runs substantially cooler on hard pulls. No hp or torque gains that I can tell. Just that the engine runs smoother, less soot and smoke, and better mpg.

Simple, cheap modificaton. Better than investing in the slew of addon stuff that normally doesn't seem to really work as advertised.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
For those with the ISX that are disapointed with the fuel mileage, as I was, then you might give this a try....

On a COLD engine, turn the key on without starting, then wait at least 10-15 seconds then unplug the lower plug on the EGR. The ECM will close the valve during the wait time, then the unplug will leave it closed. Will usually only throw a code. Usually no check engine light or limp mode, depending on which truck the engine is in.

The results? How about up to 1 mpg better fuel mileage. I did this some time ago. I have averaged about .8 mpg better than before I did this. The engine runs substantially cooler on hard pulls. No hp or torque gains that I can tell. Just that the engine runs smoother, less soot and smoke, and better mpg.

Simple, cheap modificaton. Better than investing in the slew of addon stuff that normally doesn't seem to really work as advertised.
What year is your ISX? Does it have a DPF?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

'06 ISX... no DPF
Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

'08 with a DPF here. Sorta wondering what the EGR trick will do to the DPF. HAven't found anyone that's tried it yet.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

09 porstar. 450 hp isx, ultrashift. with 135k. been in the shop once "bad after-treatment injector and a pluged crankcase filter" hate the truck but love the isx. pulls better than the volvo d12, d13 and detroit d15, better jakes and better mpg.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
'08 with a DPF here. Sorta wondering what the EGR trick will do to the DPF.....

...put less soot in it.