User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default If you have a Pete 387...

Mine is an ’06, but this might apply to other years... check the air lines going to each of your steer brake assemblies. While I was under my truck this weekend, I noticed some bad chaffing on the driver’s side air line. Apparently, Peterbilt made the air lines a little too long, and when the wheels are turned all the way one direction or another, the lines would rub on the tires. I only have 251k miles on my truck and the line on the driver’s side was worn completely through the cord in the line. The line on the passenger side was worn almost down to the cord.

I could only imagine the fun I’d have had if one of these had completely blown on the road. I took one of the lines off and took it to my local hose and fitting shop and had them make up two lines that were one inch shorter than stock. It cost me a whopping $45 for both lines (and they are a pretty blue, too). After installation of the new lines I checked and they now clear the tires by nearly an inch when the wheels are turned all the way right or left.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Mine is an ’06, but this might apply to other years... check the air lines going to each of your steer brake assemblies. While I was under my truck this weekend, I noticed some bad chaffing on the driver’s side air line. Apparently, Peterbilt made the air lines a little too long, and when the wheels are turned all the way one direction or another, the lines would rub on the tires. I only have 251k miles on my truck and the line on the driver’s side was worn completely through the cord in the line. The line on the passenger side was worn almost down to the cord.

I could only imagine the fun I’d have had if one of these had completely blown on the road. I took one of the lines off and took it to my local hose and fitting shop and had them make up two lines that were one inch shorter than stock. It cost me a whopping $45 for both lines (and they are a pretty blue, too). After installation of the new lines I checked and they now clear the tires by nearly an inch when the wheels are turned all the way right or left.
You got lucky.. mine lasted a whopping 114k.....
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
You got lucky.. mine lasted a whopping 114k.....
Yeah, nothing but the best from PACAR. It's sad what they have allowed to happen to the brand. Seems quality has gone way down over the last ten years... not the price though, you can be sure of that.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I put new on both sides on my 387 as a PM last month.

Had the charge air cooler split down a seam last week. Only $1504.13 for the part!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I put new on both sides on my 387 as a PM last month.

Had the charge air cooler split down a seam last week. Only $1504.13 for the part!!!
Pocket change for someone who grosses 30k per month with a dry van....:rofl:
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Hey Little Diesel/ Super Trucker

Can I get a loan from you?? I hit a Big Buck early this morning and tore the hell out of things including my new CAC, Rad, AC Condenser, Trans cooler, Bumper, Grill, Headlight, Cracked the fender and hood.

You got a truck not making any money I could lease??

Guess I could be a Super Trucker and just dive in headfirst and order a new Lone Star. What are those about $3,000 a month or so??