Thread: patching small hole in sidewall tire

heavyhaulerss is offline Senior Board Member

Default patching small hole in sidewall tire

has anyone had any luck patching a small hole in the sidewall of a tire ?

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

If DOT sees it, they won't be happy.

Kranky is offline Senior Board Member

If the "wound" isn't too severe, a tire shop can do what's called a "section repair", where they patch the hole on the inside of the tire and vulcanize the outside.

These repairs are usually accompanied by a blue triangle shaped marker glued to the outside of the tire next to the repair, which identifies the repair as being made by a certified tire shop, in the event that a DOT inspection is performed.
    If you can't shift it smoothly, you shouldn't be driving it.

Bandit102 is offline Board Regular

Piss on DOT. Since when do they look at the inside of a tire? Just please don't run it on your tractor.
    1999 FL Classic, N14+ 525 hp, RTLO16-9-13A
    1997 Van's Aircraft RV-6, IO-360

well i dont know anything about vulcanizing the outside of the tire. the reason for the question posted was because i have fixed 2 such holes in the last 1-2 years. & they are still holding 100%. they are on the trailer of my flat. all tire shops would not even try to fix. said no way to fix it. they were tires with less than 1000 miles on them. the last one was 2 days old. just wondering if anyone had a betterr way to repair small holes other than my method.. my method consist of....

clean area to be patched, apply glue, let set for 3-5 min apply patch, apply more glue, let set 3-5 min, apply another patch directly over 1st one. wait 1 hour & apply hight temp silicone 1/4- 1/2 inch thick over patch area & applied 1 inch diameter more than patch. the glue was blue in color & bought at truckpro along with patches. i wanted to make sure this would work before i mentioned it. & since i am putting new tires on after 118,000 miles with the patches still on & still holding.. i guess it passsed the test.. or at least mine. also i have a spread & everyone know what the tires look like when your in a tight turn bind. & i'm in plenty of those every day. tires still held up twisting & all.

i doo want to say one hole was a pin hole the other a lil bigger.

bob h is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
    well i dont know anything about vulcanizing the outside of the tire. the reason for the question posted was because i have fixed 2 such holes in the last 1-2 years. & they are still holding 100%. they are on the trailer of my flat. all tire shops would not even try to fix. said no way to fix it. they were tires with less than 1000 miles on them. the last one was 2 days old. just wondering if anyone had a betterr way to repair small holes other than my method.. my method consist of....

clean area to be patched, apply glue, let set for 3-5 min apply patch, apply more glue, let set 3-5 min, apply another patch directly over 1st one. wait 1 hour & apply hight temp silicone 1/4- 1/2 inch thick over patch area & applied 1 inch diameter more than patch. the glue was blue in color & bought at truckpro along with patches. i wanted to make sure this would work before i mentioned it. & since i am putting new tires on after 118,000 miles with the patches still on & still holding.. i guess it passsed the test.. or at least mine. also i have a spread & everyone know what the tires look like when your in a tight turn bind. & i'm in plenty of those every day. tires still held up twisting & all.

Patching the tire from the inside is much more effective... and doesn't require a silicone mask to cover.

Sidewall repair is frowned on in the industry because sidewall punctures often break sidewall cords leading to zipper cuts and blowout.

...isn't silicone supposed to have a negative reaction to tire rubber?
    Bob H

Patching the tire from the inside is much more effective... and doesn't require a silicone mask to cover.

Sidewall repair is frowned on in the industry because sidewall punctures often break sidewall cords leading to zipper cuts and blowout.

...isn't silicone supposed to have a negative reaction to tire rubber?
    i have tried other methods such as just patching, but they never held more than a week or 2. i thought maybe with weight when the tire rolled around to the patch area it would force the patch loose. the high temp silicone bonded well to the inside rubber. you could not pull it off. i think it helps to flex with the tire while keeping patch in place

Walking Eagle is offline Senior Board Member
    In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Oh God, one of the people who scare the sh1tt outa ya when they have a blow out as you pass them or leave Gators all over the road.
    Buy good tires !!!!!!!!!!

Buy good tires !!!!!!!!!!
    I do buy good tires. & gators are from recaps. i am talking about virgin tires less than a week old. with a small pinhole that if the patch did come off it would take 12 hours for it to leak all the way down. anyway. the experiment passed the test. i didnt realize there were drivers on here that would not patch tires & if they discover a leak.. just buy a new one.

Walking Eagle is offline Senior Board Member
    In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Duno the brand of tires you bought but, unless you drive thru junk yards to get a hole in the sidewall, they are junk !! In 42 years of driving I have never had a tire fail from a hole in the sidewall. Tread yes, sidewall No.

Duno the brand of tires you bought but, unless you drive thru junk yards to get a hole in the sidewall, they are junk !! In 42 years of driving I have never had a tire fail from a hole in the sidewall. Tread yes, sidewall No.
    well i did get one & it was not the first. I dont drive in any junk yards, but thru & around steel mills. wich sometimes resemble junk yards. I believe there are a lot of drivers on here who would fall under the catagory of not buying good tires, such as double coin & steelmark. I guess I'M one who who dont really feel more secure because i spent more money on my tires. unless of course i have bad experience with them or they have a reputation of not holding up. the tire i fixed was a kelly & since i could of bought a more expensive tire than the kelly.. than maybe the kelly is junk. or least the one i bought. but after getting the hole in the tire i was glad it was in the one that was least expensive, cause you know how the tire co's will tell you it's not the tire. it's inproper inflation or driver error. e.t.c.

14. This ad will disappear if you login