User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TPMS for Class 8 Truck

I was just wondering if anybody has any information on, who if anybody makes them as a retrofit and a ball park estimate on cost. This would be for a two axle tractor and a set of doubles(wiggle wagons). I'm tired of blowing retreads and being blamed. The company won't let us put a tire gauge on them and expects a tire thumping bat to be adequate. I have had 2 blow outs in a week and would like to make the case to at least try it out on a couple of trucks. As expensive as fuel is, $5.13 in my local area and the cost of tires it seems like a no brainer to me. I know, if I want to do it my go buy my own truck. Not an option at the moment, but I'm working on getting completetly debt free so I can pay cash for a used truck and do it my way. Which would be no recaps ever, they are the devil as near as I can tell.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

www.mobileawareness.com
Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Default Re: TPMS for Class 8 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiedon
I was just wondering if anybody has any information on, who if anybody makes them as a retrofit and a ball park estimate on cost. This would be for a two axle tractor and a set of doubles(wiggle wagons). I'm tired of blowing retreads and being blamed. The company won't let us put a tire gauge on them and expects a tire thumping bat to be adequate. I have had 2 blow outs in a week and would like to make the case to at least try it out on a couple of trucks. As expensive as fuel is, $5.13 in my local area and the cost of tires it seems like a no brainer to me. I know, if I want to do it my go buy my own truck. Not an option at the moment, but I'm working on getting completetly debt free so I can pay cash for a used truck and do it my way. Which would be no recaps ever, they are the devil as near as I can tell.
Put a tire gauge in your pocket and use it when they ain't looking.

If your company won't let you use a tire gauge, well, that's stupid.

It's way cheaper than a TPMS...

You send an 8' piece of rubber shrapnel through somebody's windshield and kill them, then say the company wouldn't let you check the tire pressure I bet you that company will run from that "no tire gauge" policy and leave you twisting in the wind...goodbye to your debt-free status, hello litigation.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM

allen5oh,
Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for.

HWD,
I do keep a gauge with me. If I feel a tire is low after thumping I put a gauge to it. You are right about the company leaving me out in the wind to twist alone. I'm just looking for a way to put the blame for blowouts back in the companies lap where it belongs. Seems like the policy is contradictory to accepted good and safe tire maintenance. I got chewed on by the safety guy the other day when he saw a tire gauge in my safety vest pocket. I told him that as instructed by our Shop manager I was to load on a bad tire and limp back to the yard the next morning. Since the tire was completely flat, I had to inflate it, and no way was I going to use just a thumper to determine proper inflation on a questionable tire. If they keep it up. I just tell them the truck ain't moving until a mobile tire guy comes out with a replacement. And if they really want to push it, I will just stop at one of those scale houses with the free inspections :wink:
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The PROPER way to check tire inflation is with a tire guage

Right out of the CDL study manual and PTI check list. Fail to state that while doing your PTI part of the test and you WILL lose points on the exam.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member

quote="obiedon"]allen5oh,
Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for.

HWD,
I do keep a gauge with me. If I feel a tire is low after thumping I put a gauge to it. You are right about the company leaving me out in the wind to twist alone. I'm just looking for a way to put the blame for blowouts back in the companies lap where it belongs.

It should be obvious to a trained eye as to WHY the tire blew out, there's no mysteries left in tire analysis. The only blame the operator should have to negotiate is tread and sidewall serrations from striking road obstacles... at least in the case where they are not permitted to check and adjust tire air pressure.

Seems like the policy is contradictory to accepted good and safe tire maintenance. I got chewed on by the safety guy the other day when he saw a tire gauge in my safety vest pocket. I told him that as instructed by our Shop manager I was to load on a bad tire and limp back to the yard the next morning. Since the tire was completely flat, I had to inflate it,

It can be very dangerous to inflate a truck tire that has been run flat.

and no way was I going to use just a thumper to determine proper inflation on a questionable tire. If they keep it up.

I would recommend this;

I just tell them the truck ain't moving until a mobile tire guy comes out with a replacement.

And if they really want to push it, I will just stop at one of those scale houses with the free inspections :wink:[/quote]
Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 AM

bobh,
The tire I reinflated had not been run flat. I was doing my post trip and thumping my tires, while doing so I heard a small air leak. The tire was still up and on an empty trailer, but I knew it would be flat the next morning. So the next morning, I aired it up and went and loaded. I double checked it every 50 miles or so and drove very slowly, about 50 mph to the yard. As for reinflating a tire that has been run flat, I just learned something, thank you.