Thread: Auto-idle shutdown question

Malaki86 is offline Senior Board Member

Default Auto-idle shutdown question

I have an '07 International with a Cummins ISX. The truck is equipped with an auto-shutdown if the truck idles more than 5 minutes.

To bypass it, you have to sit and wait 4 mins, 30 secs, wait for a light to start flashing on the dash, and tap the throttle. Then it'll run till it's out of fuel if you let it.

I've tried to bypass it by bumping up the throttle with the cruise control (which does work), but even then, 5 mins later, it'll shut down.

Is there a way to quickly bypass this? Meaning, if I stop, and know I want the truck to stay running, hit a button/switch/whatever when I stop, and it'll stay running?

I don't want to attempt to alter anything (company truck) and none of the mechanics know if it can be done or not.

yoopr is offline Board Icon

I don't want to attempt to alter anything (company truck) and none of the mechanics know if it can be done or not.

I'd just wait the 4 minutes to reset the Idle cruise.

uncleal13 is offline Member

A friend of mine has a Volvo that does this. If you just let it idle, it will shut down. If you hit resume on cruise it will rev up to 700 rpm and run all night. On ISX if you hit resume or set with cruise turned off that will adjust your idle speed by 25 rpm increments but it will still shut down. You have to have the cruise turned on to go to fast idle. However if this is your own truck your dealer can disable the idle shutdown using their computer.

watevr777 is offline Member

This is a setting on the computer software it can be changed BUT that might be what your company wants it to be

RockyMtnProDriver is offline Senior Board Member
    Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Why would you want to keep the engine running?

Overloaded is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
    Maybe he likes his A/C or heater when sleeping.

Malaki86 is offline Senior Board Member

RockyMtnProDriver wrote:

Maybe he likes his A/C or heater when sleeping

Ya - there's just something I like about being comfortable...

I tried the bumping up of the idle, but it'll still do the auto-shutdown.

I'll just have to live with the 5 minute wait, I guess. I just wish it'd give a warning beep or something prior to it shutting down. Just so I don't have to sit here and stare at the dash waiting for a light to start flashing.

COLT is offline Senior Board Member

My boss some years ago, picked up a new tractor, it was cold and snowing hard. Well after seeing a few in the ditch, he thought it would be a good idea to have a snooze. Five minutes... shutdown ? Five minutes... shutdown ? He put his boot on the throttle.... shutdown ! Well he had to drive home that night, :lol: Now he knows what it's like for us, when we have to! We have to about 100 nights a winter!

JBenson2 is offline Member

With all the government rules coversing safety, I would think it would be illegal to force a driver to sleep in a rig with no heat, especially up here in Minnesota where the temps can drop to 20 degrees below zero on some nights.
    I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am!

my truck photos at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/

COLT is offline Senior Board Member

I'M sorry if I've miss-led you ops: It was fixed at the dealer the next day, we don't have to drive all night because of that, we have other reasons. Sorry for the confusion ops:

Porchclimber is offline Member

I've had a Webasto on every truck I've owned.
    It's the only way to travel.

bob h is offline Senior Board Member

Default Re: Auto-idle shutdown question

Quote Originally Posted by Malaki86
    I have an '07 International with a Cummins ISX. The truck is equipped with an auto-shutdown if the truck idles more than 5 minutes.

To bypass it, you have to sit and wait 4 mins, 30 secs, wait for a light to start flashing on the dash, and tap the throttle. Then it'll run till it's out of fuel if you let it.

I've tried to bypass it by bumping up the throttle with the cruise control (which does work), but even then, 5 mins later, it'll shut down.

Is there a way to quickly bypass this? Meaning, if I stop, and know I want the truck to stay running, hit a button/switch/whatever when I stop, and it'll stay running?

This is an adjustable parameter in the engine ECM, as long as a tech with C's software has a password, it can be easily changed. be aware that no matter how this issue is approached, the owner can still acquire "idle hours" information from an ECM download. Tell the boss to buy a webasto!
    Bob H

watevr777 is offline Member

FYI
    There is no state or city laws anywhere in the US that prevent you from idling under hours of service ...sleeper

Windwalker is offline Board Icon

Quote Originally Posted by watevr777
    FYI
    There is no state or city laws anywhere in the US that prevent you from idling under hours of service ...sleeper
    Think you'd better check NY on that one. I've seen a driver get a ticket for idling at 15 degrees. Also, NJ has cops parked in the service areas along the turnpike just looking for someone to idle his truck.
    Destroy the cities...
    and they will rebuild them.
    Destroy the farms...
    and grass will grow in the streets of the cities.

Destroy the economy of the blue-collar worker...
    and grass will grow in the executive offices.

The bill has come due.
    ( R E T I R E D , and glad of it)

kitchnmn is offline Rookie

I have an International 9400 I, and fought with the 5 minute idle shutdown for months. I was in electronics and found a way to do it. I had a small circuit board made
    and inserted in line with the cruise control wiring. I can idle forever now. I only do it to keep my batteries charged when the refrigerator is running, and to keep warm when it is cold\
    It would be nice to have an APU, but they are expensive. I can make you a kit to get the truck to idle for about $125. kitchnmn@yahoo.com

Musicman is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by kitchnmn View Post
    I have an International 9400........
    Holy BUMP, Batman. I think bumping a seven year old post has got to be a record!
    "The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

18. This ad will disappear if you login