Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Terminated after accident before the first 30 days (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/40806-terminated-after-accident-before-first-30-days.html)

Old SchoolL 01-14-2011 12:26 AM

Terminated after accident before the first 30 days

Having a tough time finding a new job with a termination on file.. No excuses it was my fault. I have a clean MVR. No tickets involved this was on private property. I knew the tractor brakes were not holding and forgot to set the trailer brakes, so truck rolled into a trailer..Damage was only to the truck none to trailer.

ilikeike 01-14-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old SchoolL (Post 492263)
Having a tough time finding a new job with a 1. termination on file.. 2. before the first 30 days . . No excuses 3. it was my fault. I have a clean MVR. No tickets involved this was on private property. 4. I knew the tractor brakes were not holding and 5. forgot to set the trailer brakes, so truck rolled into a trailer..Damage was only to the truck none to trailer.

To your first employer, you were an untested candidate. To any prospective employer, you're a tested and proven candidate. Don't be too hard on yourself but, if you were hiring you, how would you score you?

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-14-2011 02:00 AM

Sorry to hear, but it's a life lesson learned. Hopefully someone will give you another chance, but it's doubtful

geeshock 01-16-2011 04:54 AM

don't give up but I will warn you, it's going to be tough. I speak from experience.

dle 01-16-2011 04:38 PM

Is this your total driving experience, less than 30 days? With the companies that you've tried so far have you asked what the specific reason was for rejecting you? Have you gotten a copy of your DAC to see what is actually on file?

tblake 01-18-2011 01:28 AM

Wait, how could you forget to set the trailer brakes? Doesn't the trailer emergency (red knob) pop out on its own when you pull out the yellow knob to set the tractor parking brakes? Unless its different for the tractors I have driven. Just curious.

Mr. Ford95 01-18-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblake (Post 492446)
Wait, how could you forget to set the trailer brakes? Doesn't the trailer emergency (red knob) pop out on its own when you pull out the yellow knob to set the tractor parking brakes? Unless its different for the tractors I have driven. Just curious.

I set my tractor brakes only when I need to jump out real quick, I do not endorse all drivers to do the same though. I hold the red knob in with my palm while pulling the yellow knob out.

tblake 01-19-2011 04:51 AM

Is there a reason Mr Ford? Just curious... Maybe to keep the trailer brakes from freezing up and locking a wheel?

Mr. Ford95 01-19-2011 09:57 AM

Well there is that in the winter time. My trailer brakes are normally very slow releasing so I try not to set them unless I'm stopping for more than a few minutes. I also keep a close check on my brake adjustments so I know the truck brakes alone will hold me. If something doesn't feel right I do have a wheel chock that I can always toss under a wheel which I normally do anyways when I'm unloading our curbmachine. It cannot be unloaded with the trailer brakes set on the trailer we have. They MUST be released so as an added safety measure I toss the wheel chock under the front tire of the truck just in case the brakes decide to not hold.