Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Schneider for experienced driver (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32945-schneider-experienced-driver.html)

Malaki86 03-16-2008 02:30 AM

Schneider for experienced driver

I've been doing some searching for companies to drive for. Scheider is one that is on the list.

Doing a search for my state (WV) comes up with a dedicated route with them (not sure what the dedicated is for) that will have me home every weekend.

The big question - how are they to drive for if you are experienced? I have over 8 years driving with a little over 3 years of that being OTR.

SwervynMervyn 03-16-2008 02:52 AM

From what I have read about the other large carriers that experienced drivers on here talk about, Schneider is as good if not better than most.

I drove almost 2 years with them and was just about to start the rehiring process when I got an offer from a company just 4 months into a start up in my area.

If it's not all gold as they promise I would consider going with Schneider again.

PM me if you have ?

Ian Williams 03-16-2008 09:02 AM

Re: Schneider for experienced driver

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
I've been doing some searching for companies to drive for. Scheider is one that is on the list.

Doing a search for my state (WV) comes up with a dedicated route with them (not sure what the dedicated is for) that will have me home every weekend.

The big question - how are they to drive for if you are experienced? I have over 8 years driving with a little over 3 years of that being OTR.

Schneider and many other of the large truckload carriers seem the think than being on a dedicated account should come with less compensation.

They used to have an account here in Reno where they would pay you $800/week and expect you to work 55-65+hrs. Working the same hours with similar equipment (doubles & day cab) in LTL land gets you $900-1200+ per week.

Malaki86 03-16-2008 12:51 PM

I'll give them a call on Monday to see what dedicated account(s) they offer and the pay for them. I'll report back then to let you know what they're offering.

What's sad is that I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now. I've got a decent truck (05 Volvo), I'm home every weekend, small company where I know everyone, etc. However, I get paid percentage. When I started last January I was averaging about $0.37cpm overall. Now, it's down to about $0.33cpm. The worst is our backhauls to get us home. We haul a LOT of scrap paper going to a recycling mill that works out to an average of $0.25cpm for the driver, along with a very slow unloading crew to get it off of the truck.

BHG0069 03-16-2008 04:39 PM

As a former Schneider driver, I would not recommend them to an experienced driver. With pay being the number one reason for my decision.

The dedicated routes also pay far less than system. Something closer to .31 a mile.

ben45750 03-16-2008 04:43 PM

While working at Conway I became pretty good friends with a driver who had 3 years seniority. A bunch of us bailed when things slowed down and he went to Schneider, that was about 1.5 years ago and he is still with them. I still talk to him a couple times a week and he loves his job. He drives regional so he's off on weekends and gets home pretty often.

If you would like his number or I can have him call you if you would like?

BigAtrukn 03-16-2008 06:21 PM

I would agree, i went with schneider with 5 months experience and ive been with them for 16 months now and they still dont pay crap. Dedicated is nice cuz im home everynight with weekends off, but it doesnt pay crap. Our Intermodal drivers make alot, but they work 12-14 hr days being home everynight with 2 days off. Schneider is a good starter company for the first couple of years but having more than 2 i would say go elsewhere unless there are not many oppurtunities in your area.

mbadriver 03-17-2008 01:31 AM

Re: Schneider for experienced driver

If you are in the Panhandle area I am betting it is the WalMart DC at Wintersville, OH. It is just a few miles from Weirton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86