User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tanker info for y'all...

Hello to all !!! Some of you may already know me from TruckNet or Pumkindriver, some may not. I've scanned this site for awhile now, and have noticed that many have questions about tankers, be it food-grade or chemical. I'm going to share my personal experiences here as I do on the other site for all to read. If anybody has other info that can be shared then PLEASE add it! The more the merrier!!!

Here's my limited tanker experience...
C.T.L. Distribution: Nov. 1999-Jan. 2000, then again from Aug. 2001-Nov. 2001.
Indian River Transport: June 2003-June 2004.
Jim Aartman Inc.: June 2004-July 2006.
Superior Carriers: August 2006...

Mind you, much of the following info applies to both chemical and food-grade tankers. I will note specific items of interest as necessary. Also, please note that the only companies who will take and train a new driver out of school with tankers to the best of my knowledge are, C.T.L. Distribution, Schneider, and Superior Carriers for chemicals, and Carry Transit for food-grade.

Detention/Load/Unload/Tankwash Pay:
This is generally more common with chemical tankers, yet several food-grade outfits do pay it. This is the #1 reason why I feel tanker is better than general freight hauling. In trucking you will sometimes be waiting hours on end loading or unloading, so why not get paid for it? Yes, many companies that pay this may require you to give up the first hour or two free, but after that you draw an hourly wage provided you were on time for your appointment. Some companies will pay their driver a flat rate, and then also detention after the required hours waiting.

The difference between tanker companies and freight companies that pay detention is that with tanker, if your company says they pay it, you get paid it. None of this "WE'LL PAY YOU DETENTION IF WE GET PAID IT." crap. Put together the hours you spend waiting to load/unload in a week, a month, or even a year and multiply that at say, $8/hour (after the first or even second hour) and see how much extra income that provides. If and when you have to take the tank to a washout facility then more pay for the miles there, and in the case of chemicals and some food-grade companies, pay for the tank wash itself.

Now concerning tank washes, unless the tank you're hauling is dedicated to one product, it must be washed out prior to reloading. In the case of chemicals, here's a golden rule of responsibility for a driver when accepting a tank...CLEAN, DRY, and ODOR-FREE. Clean for obvious reasons. Dry because moisture alone can have a very bad reaction with certain chemicals. Odor-free because if something can be smelled, the tank isn't clean! This rule also applies to ensuring that your hoses, fittings, and truck pump are the same after washing.

All chemical companies and several food-grade companies pay the driver for this when required to wait for the cleaning, but on the other hand, most food-grade companies do not. Many chemical companies will maintain a number of tanks at a tank wash facility so that a driver can come in, drop-and-hook the dirty for a clean one, and either get some rest or head out for their next load. Also, many companies use the tank wash facility as satellite yard locations. This comes in handy when you learn the network and locations, because it means that you almost always have a place to park and relax, sleep, shower, etc. without fighting for a spot at a truckstop.

Safety:
When pulling a tank, I don't worry about my dispatcher giving me a load that I couldn't get to it's destination "yesterday". If a situation arises where I can't make it there on time, a phone call is made and the receiver is notified. With chemicals you will get plenty of time to meet your scheduled appointments. Safety is paramount and will not be compromised! This also applies to winter driving (chaining). If the weather is bad enough for chains then it's time to get safely parked well before this situation arises.

Now the big difference in food-grade vice chemicals is that the schedules can be tight at times depending upon the product being hauled (eggs and raw milk are excellent examples due to potentially harmful bacteria counts from rising temperatures, and raw milk also deals with quality degradation...such as from Grade A to Grade B). Generally speaking though, drivers still get plenty of time to meet their delivery appointments WHEN they actually have one, as this is typically a first-come, first serve basis for unloading.

Legality:
Tanker drivers never worry about having an overweight load, much less trying to get axle weights proper. No more sliding tandems or worries about a bridge law!

As to logging, with chemical tanks and several food-grade companies you CAN AND WILL make a comfortable income logging events as they happen, due to getting paid for your time spent waiting on line four, on-duty, not driving (loading, unloading, tank wash, breakdown, etc.), and not being solely dependent upon mileage pay (for proof, see my figures after starting with Superior Carriers in August 2006).

Loading/Unloading:
Tanker drivers never deal with lumpers...period. With many food-grade companies this task is done entirely by the shippers and receivers, end of story. The driver's involvement requires nothing more than weighing in empty at the shipper or loaded at the receiver, giving their pickup or delivery number, pulling or backing into a bay (if live loading/unloading), getting loaded or unloaded and washed out, weighing out, getting their paperwork, checking seals, etc., and getting on the road.

With chemicals the procedure is similiar in the respect of weighing in at the shipper/receiver, paperwork, seals, etc. But after that entails much more responsibility during the loading/unloading procedure. The loading is usually done by the shipper and the driver's involvement usually requires opening the tank's dome lid and monitoring the product loading/unloading, pulling a sample, ensuring there are no leaks or spills, no defective equipment, etc. Yes, chemical tanker drivers (and some food-grade) may do the majority of the unloading. When this occurs, they're compensated for it (see above note).

Between running either a dry van, reefer, or chemical tank, it's simply no contest. I'd much rather hook up hoses and fittings, watch for leaks, pressurize my tank and ensure the pressure stays constant or ensure my pump functions properly during unloading, and finally clean out my equipment when finished then drag a pallet jack back and forth, slave over a floor load, break down and restack several different products, count pieces of freight, deal with multi-stop loads, wait long periods of time in a grocery warehouse/distribution center listening to the C.B. for a door assignment and/or to get loaded/unloaded, wondering what decision will be made for an O.S. & D. claim (Over, Short, and/or Damaged), and dealing with how much a lumper wants for unloading, knowing very well the company will pay them good but certainly not you or I (without lying on a lumper receipt). If I wanted some hard-earned money for physical labor I'd go either local L.T.L Pick-up and Delivery, or flatbedding.

I distinctly remember that I attended driving school to learn the following...inspect and drive a safe, road worthy tractor-trailer combination vehicle, ensure that the appropriate paperwork is done neat, complete, and that everything matches up, and deliver the customer's product safely while staying legal according to the guidelines set forth by the D.O.T. Remember always that C.D.L. does not stand for "Certified Driver Lumper"! I'm not a dock worker and regardless of how much "no touch freight %" a company has, or how high they say that they pay for driver unloading...no thanks.

Miles:
Miles...this definitely has two perspectives. For the most part, if you want to turn maximum miles then food-grade with an over-the-road company is usually the place to be, as you can get loads that typically are as long as van/reefer teams get. If you want to get decent miles yet be paid for all your work then go chemical. With food-grade you should be able to average 3,000 miles weekly, and with chemical 2,300 plus accesory pay. One way or another you keep the wheels moving, even if it's doing some local driving, where you will usually get paid a percentage of the load's cost (some companies pay mileage plus an additional short haul premium).

With many tankers, the wheels keep turning, even if it's deadheading 1,000+ miles for the next load, which may only be delivering another 200 miles away! The miles are very consistent in food-grade tanking and drivers simply do not sit around unless it's by choice. Many times you're already preplanned on a load a full day ahead of your delivery appointment or E.T.A., sometimes two. Food-grade companies always have stuff waiting to be picked up and delivered, especially if milk is a primary load (cows don't quite understand exactly what a day off is, much less holidays and vacations). If you can't get miles, then something is terribly wrong. With chemicals your mileage can fluctuate depending upon the time of the year, which is where all the accessory pay adds up!

Hometime:
I get it when I tell my company I want it, and I don't get messed with about the duration of time off I take. I also have had no problems with taking time off on the road when passing through somewhere a friend lives. As long as the load is getting picked up and delivered on-time, and out-of-route miles are minimal to none, this has never been an issue, nor should it be.

For general chemical tank info, most companies get their drivers home every week to week-and-a-half (unless a driver chooses to stay out longer), and have been doing so long before many freight companies figured out that drivers who get by the house more are usually a lot happier.

Shippers and Receivers:
Simply put, much more pleasent to deal with. Tanker drivers deal with people happy to see and work with them. As a normal O.T.R. driver hauling around a van or reefer can you say that on a consistent basis at a grocery warehouse, distribution center, automotive plant, etc.? I couldn't, and was in shock for my first several loads with a tank at the reception I got, be it chemicals or food-grade.

Manueverability:
Handling a tank compared to a 53-footer is a cake walk, especially through a truck stop. I have no worries about taking off someone else's hood due to trailer overhang when trying to back into a parking spot. I also have a better view of things around me and the trailer, and when going through some particular cities don't have to worry as much about low clearances.

Now I'll cover several of the NEGATIVES associated with tankers...

Assigned equipment:
That is, if it really is that much of an issue with you. If you are looking for a big condo sleeper you won't find it with this type of trucking, unless it is an O/O or possibly a team. Look around and you'll still see some trucks equipped with a tiny 42" to 50" flattop or midroof sleeper. However, many companies have started to spec their trucks more for driver comfort, as witnessed by going to a 60" to 70" midroof sleeper (see photo links attached to company info).

The main reasons behind this is weight and height requirements. You must remember that one, liquid weighs more than dry freight and that you WILL BE LOADED TO MAX ALLOWABLE WEIGHT, which can range anywhere from around 48,000 to 53,000 pounds worth of payload behind you depending on the product. Also, some food-grade and ALL chemical tank companies have equipment for unloading on the truck (hoses, fittings, pump, etc.), so you cannot have a super-size truck unless you're going to consistently pull a small tank, and that applies only to chemicals. Two, most chemical plants and many food-grade places of business have low clearance points and a condo sleeper just won't fit around in there. Now I'll touch on some of the other equipment many tanker drivers deal with...

Fittings are standard issue for a tanker-yanker who unloads. Fittings are necessary for connecting hoses to other hoses, loading, and converting larger/smaller units to the other for easier unloading. Examples of these would be a 3" and a 2" male-to-female connector, a 3" and a 2" male-to-male connector, a 3" and a 2" female-to-female connector, a 3" to 2" converter, a 2" to 1" converter, and a drum-unloading nozzle (looks like a gas pump handle). These are usually kept in a box on the back of the truck by the hose rack (see below), or mounted on the truck frame. However, some drivers keep their fittings in one of their sleeper side boxes.

Hoses are pretty much self-explanatory. Standard issue is usually (1) 20-foot section of 3" diameter, and (2) 20-foot sections of 2" diameter at a minimum. Some companies have a hose rack or box for storage of these on the back of the truck, some keep the hoses stored in the hose tubes on the tank itself. When I was with C.T.L. I had (4) sections of the 2" hoses in addition to the 3" section, just in case!

You'll also have a 50' section of 1" hose for air-pressure unloading when using the truck's air compressor. This one is so long because sometimes you may have to run this hose from your air compressor outlet hook-up to the rear of the tank.

Finally, you'll have an inlet and outlet hose for hooking up in-transient heat. This is necessary for several products where a certain temperature must be maintained. It's a simple process of cycling antifreeze through pipes located in the belly of the tanker after coming from your engine.

Hometime with equipment:
Another issue to some is that most chemical tanker and some food-grade companies will not let you take the truck home with you during your time off. Some won't even hire you if you don't live within a certain mileage radius of the nearest terminal, usually within a two-hour drive or less.

With chemicals you must remember what type of products you're dealing with and, what could potentially happen if someone were to start fooling around with the equipment and there was any residual product! Another factor with this is company's insurance requirements and liabilities.

Personal safety equipment:
This pretty much applies alone to chemicals. You'll be issued an acid suit, hardhat, goggles, safety glasses, extended length gloves, knee-high rubber steel-toed boots, and a respirator at a minimum. This is for your protection! However, in the summer your protective suit gets very hot and you'll sweat profusely. You'd best be drinking lots of water to stay hydrated. The last thing you need is to become a heat casualty while loading/unloading! In winter your suit will stiffen up (much like a flatbedder's tarps but on a lot smaller scale!) and can be hard to move around in. The faceshield on your hardhat can fog up if you don't take preventive measures, which can make monitoring your tank pressure gauge, hoses, and the storage tank level difficult.

From personal experience, P.P.E. works as advertised. Long story short, I had a hose rupture while unloading acid. Had I not been wearing the proper AND required gear, I would've received burns to my entire body, most notably my face, hands, and chest. The stuff works folks, so wear it. NEVER take a shortcut...it may just kill you.

Surge:
If you've never driven a tanker before, take a bottle and fill it up halfway or three-quarters. Turn it on it's side and move it back and forth. You now have surge on a much smaller scale. Now imagine that with anywhere from 3,500 to 6,500 gallons of product behind you! This is what we tank drivers deal with daily, and from personal experience is the number one cause of driver turnover during the first month of transition. This seems to cause uneasiness with drivers new to this type of driving, and even though it is easily controlled by simply altering driving habits, many cannot adapt to it and return to where they came from.

Surge will hold you back going up hill, and help push you down on the flip side (no pun intended). If you get into a situation where you must brake hard, expect to get pushed forward quite a few feet. You must always give yourself plenty of stopping distance, and then some. You must remember that with a tanker you literally have tons of centrifugal force working against you at all times that you are in motion (especially since most O.T.R. tankers are smoothbore, non-baffled). If you go into a corner or turn too fast, the product will "walk" up the inside tank wall and once it gets past the breaking point, there is no return...you're done. In extreme cases, you can turn too sharply as in jacking a trailer around in a parking lot and rollover also.

A tanker is not for everybody because the product behind you moves constantly. There are no load locks, straps, or chains to secure and hold the product in place. This is one reason many tanker companies require you to have at least one full year of experience before they'll hire you. With many food-grade companies, most want at least two years of all-weather and mountain experience, since many of the runs are very fast-paced and require driving as hard as legally possible. Generally speaking, it's too dangerous to stick an inexperienced driver with 48,000 plus pounds of liquid behind him/her when you're in the beginning stages of learning how to handle a tractor-trailer combination vehicle.

Miles:
You may ask why I put miles here, as well in the advantages section... Here's why, and it pertains more to food-grade than chemicals. With food-grade companies such as Jim Aartman, Bynum, and Indian River/North American Tank Lines, drivers DO NOT load or unload the product or anything associated with that procedure except for weighing in/out, and pulling/backing into a loading bay. The driver's job entails picking up and delivering the product they're transporting safely, and that's it. Remember that as an average each trip is going to be between 1,300-2,000 miles (from personal experience), their freight lanes take them across many 70-75 m.p.h. states, and that their trucks are capable of running those speed limits. What this means is that you should realistically expect to put in a minimum of 600 to 660 miles daily with one of those carriers. Sometimes you'll push upwards of 700 to 750, and sometimes you can slack a little.

However, if you are coming from a carrier governed around 65 m.p.h. and are used to running only 550 to 600 miles daily at maximum, this may and/or will be quite an adustment and may lead many to think they are dispatched and/or run illegal. NOT SO!!! Remember this...
1. Eggs, milk, and juice in bulk liquid form are very temperature-sensitive products that, barring extreme cold weather, can only be kept at a safe temperature for so long by the tank's insulation. This isn't the same as keeping these products loaded in the back of a reefer, where you can maintain a set temperature, allowing for longer transit times.
2. Provided a driver maintains at least 60 m.p.h. for all of their DRIVING every run can be done legally. This includes daily, the required 10-hour break plus a half hour for doing your pre-trip inspection and fueling. Even dropping to and maintaining 52 m.p.h. allows for legal delivery as set forth by the load appointments I was personally assigned.
3. As stated before, many food-grade loads can be treated on a first come, first serve basis for unloading. The drivers still have appointments like everyone else, but they are usually appointment dates (many of the loads you'll read about in my posts when running food-grade were delivered a day earlier than scheduled.).

If you have any doubts about being able to push hard consistently day in and day out, then you may seriously want to think very hard before ever hauling food-grade tankers. Once again, it's not for everyone, but remember, different strokes for different folks....

Miscellaneous:
We tanker-yankers are not exactly normal, depending what your definition of that is. Hauling a tank does require A LOT of safety awareness, discipline, and responsibility (okay, and maybe a few loose nuts and bolts). This isn't a knock against any other type of driver, but some just don't want to deal with that. There are some drivers who would just rather open a couple of doors and bump a dock, and some who would rather throw straps, chains, and/or tarps. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone must choose what suits them, and only them, best.

However, there are the ones that no matter how fast it is, it's not fast enough. They've always gotta go, go, go. Get in a hurry here and you are an accident waiting to happen. Excessive speed and throwing caution to the wind makes you very prone to flipping a tank just for taking an off ramp or turn too fast. That 50,000 plus pound "gorilla" in the tank will happily jump up the inside wall and well, you can imagine the rest... No thanks. I'll be happy taking a little longer to get up to the posted speed limit, taking my turns very slowly, slowing down way in advance of that stop ahead, etc. If another driver chooses to complain about a tanker holding them up, tough. The safety of myself and my fellow people on the road are much more important than some "outlaw" crying because they didn't plan accordingly...Proper Planning Prevents Pizz Poor Performance!

Yes, I repeated some stuff I just mentioned because the moment you lose respect for what's behind you, you are done. That cannot be stressed enough.

For all to remember, chemical tankers generally get paid for everything related to work (similar to a union job), whereas food-grade has greater potential for more miles, yet no accessory pay (depending on the company).

If you discover that you like tank but not hauling hazmat then switch to food-grade after you get your time in. Many food-grade drivers got their start doing just that...myself included for a time :wink:.

If you discover that tank is not for you for whatever reason, IMHO, you can go to dry van or reefer with a much greater sense of awareness and safety than many other drivers of equal experience because of your time pulling a tanker.

The following is information about what a few tanker companies have to offer...

CHEMICAL
CTL DISTRIBUTION (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT, or, Student grad from approved school)
Starting mileage pay (Short Miles):

Longevity Pay (multiplied by gross pay, then added to total):
4-6 months: + 2.5%
7-12 months: + 4%
1-2 years: + 6.5%
2-3 years: + 9%
4-6 years: + 11%
7+ years: +13%

Detention Pay (after 1 hour):
$8.75/hour.

Tank Wash Pay
$24 (full tank wash)
$12 (pump and/or hoses, fittings only)

Short-Haul Pay (loads under 75 miles):
$40 minimum

Breakdown Pay:
$8.75/hour.

Layover Pay (after 24 hours):
$75/day.

Holiday Pay (after 90 days):
$60/day for six holidays.

Funeral Pay (after 30 days):
$60/day for 3 days.

Training Pay:
$400/week for up to four weeks, as deemed necessary by trainer.

Quarterly Safety Bonus:
$300.

Vacation Pay:
Paid average weekly earnings.
1 Week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 2 years.
3 weeks at 7 years.
4 weeks at 20 years.

Time Off:
7-10 days out, 1-2 days off.

Insurance (after 90 days):
Health Insurance:
Single plan ???
Family plan ???

Dental Insurance:
Single plan: ???
Family plan: ???

Vision Insurance:
???

Life and Disability Insurance:
???

401k Plan (After 1 year):
Company matches 50% of 6%.

DANA-SUTTLES(1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
Starting pay:
22.5%

Loading/Unloading/Detention Pay (after 2 hours):
$15/hour.

Breakdown Pay:
???

Layover Pay:
???

Holiday Pay:
$120/day for eight major holidays.

Vacation Pay:
1 week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 5 years.
3 weeks at 10 years.

Time Off:
7-12 days out, 2-3 days off.

Health, Dental, Prescription, and Life Insurance:
Single plan $11.22/week.
Family plan $30.85/week.

401k (after 1 year):
Company matches 50% of 4%.

HIGHWAY TRANSPORT (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
Starting mileage pay (Practical Route Miles):
.38 (Loads over 501 miles, loads under 501 miles paid according to sliding scale but the minimum load pay varies by terminal from $50-100.)

Loading/Unloading Pay (after 1 hour):
$15.50/hour.

Tank Wash Pay (after 1 hour):
$12/hour.

Sleeper Berth Pay:
$15 for each night used.

Local Pay:
$15.50/hour.

Extra Stop Pay (after 1st pickup/drop):
$16/each.

Weather Delay Pay (after 4 hours, max of 8 hours per 24 hour period):
$12/hour.

Layover Pay (after 16 hours):
$12.00/hour. First sixteen hours free, then paid eight.

Holiday Pay:
$64/day for eight major holidays.

Training Pay:
$100/day for up to four weeks, as deemed necessary by trainer.

Vacation Pay:
1 Weeks at 1 year.
2 weeks at 3 years.
3 weeks at 10 years.

Time Off:
5-7 days out, 1-2 days in.

Health, Dental, Vision, Prescription, and Life Insurance:
Employee only plan: $22/bi-weekly.
Employee + 1 plan: $102.
Employee + 2 plan: $132.
Employee + 3 plan: $149.

401k Plan (After 3 months, company match dependent upon length of service):
0-1 year: 20% of 6%.
1-3 years: 30%
3-5 years: 40%
5+ years: 50%

MILLER TRANSPORT (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
.395 Loaded/.275 Empty

Loading/Unloading/Detention Pay:
$13.05/hour.

Local Pay (loads 50 miles or less):
$13.05/hour.

Tank Wash Pay:
$11.65/hour.

Sleeper Pay:
$10/night.

Per Diem Pay:
$3.75/hour for on-duty hours away from home

Breakdown Pay:
$11.65/hour for eight hours, then fourteen hours free (during which layover pay goes into effect at fifteenth hour).

Layover Pay (after 14 hours):
$11.65/hour. First fourteen hours free, then paid eight hours, then ten hours free, then paid eight, etc..

Holiday Pay:
$93.20/day for eight major holidays.

Vacation Pay:
1 week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 5 years.
3 weeks at 10 years.
4 weeks at ??? years.
5 weeks at ??? years.

Time Off:
8-10 days out, 2-3 days in.

Insurance:
??? (website says company-paid health, dental, vision, and life but doesn't state for driver only or driver and family. Unable to get this info...)

401k Plan:
??? (Website says company-paid pension, but there no details pertaining to it. Unable to get this info...).

SCHNEIDER NATIONAL (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT, Student grad from approved school, or, Schneider school grad)
Starting mileage pay (solo), student rate after completion of training (Short Miles):
0-6 months: .29 (Southeast pay scale)....32 (Normal pay scale)
7 months-1year: .31..............................34
1-2 years: .35.......................................36
2-3 years: .36.......................................37
3-4 years: .37.......................................38
4-5 years: .38.......................................39
5-6 years: .39.......................................40
6-7 years: .40.......................................41
7-8 years: .41.......................................42
8 + years: .005 increase annually every other year, capping at 30 years.

Loading/Unloading/Detention Pay:
$25 per live load/unload, then $10/hour after 3 hours.

Tank Wash Pay:
$20

Short-Haul Pay (in addition to mileage and accessory pay):
0-100 miles: $40
101-200 miles: $20
201-300 miles: $10

Breakdown Pay (after 24 hours):
$70-90 (depending on experience), then after eight hours $40 allowance for hotel.

$70-90 (depending on experience), then after twenty-four hours $40 motel allowance.

Canada Border Crossing Delay Pay (after 2 hours):
$20, then $10 each additional hour.

Holiday Pay:
$40/day for six major holidays.

Funeral Pay:
$40/day for three days for funeral of family member.

Training Pay:
$300/week for three weeks.

Quarterly Safety Bonus:
0-1 year: $300
1+ years: $600

Vacation Pay:
1 Week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 2 years.
3 weeks at 7 years.
4 weeks at 15 years.

Time Off:
12-14 days out, 3 days in.

Insurance :
Health (after 90 days for inexperienced drivers, immediately for experienced drivers):
Option 1: Single plan $20.33/week, Family plan (1 dependent) $61.81, Family plan (2+ dependents) $75.21.
Option 2: .................$13.97........................... ......................$45.40...................... ......................$53.08.
Option 3: .................$35.80........................... ......................$81.06...................... ......................$98.38.

Dental (after nine months for inexperienced drivers, immediately for experienced drivers):
Single Plan: $1.65/week.
Driver and Child: $4.24.
Driver and Spouse: $4.46.
Family: $4.70.

Vision and Life Insurance (after 90 days for inexperienced drivers, immediately for experienced drivers):
Company paid.

Addtional insurance offered (Disabilty, Supplemental life, etc.)

401k Plan (after 90 days):
Company matches 50% of the first 4%, then 100% match on 5th% and 6th%. Company match maxes at $2,500 annually.

SUPERIOR CARRIERS, INC. (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT, or, Student grad from approved school in top 3% of class)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...perior9200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...riorFLD112.jpg
.38 Loaded/.34 Empty.
***Oct. 02, 2006: .40 Loaded/.34 Empty

Loading/Unloading Pay (All live loads):
$20 first 2 hours, then $12.91/hour.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $20 first 2 hours, then $13.29/hour

Drop/Hook Pay (For load pickups/drops):
$5 each, $10 full drop and hook.
Note...if a driver is delayed more than 45 minutes during a drop and hook at a customer due to the load not being ready, waiting for security, paperwork, sample results, etc. then the driver will be paid the $20 live load flat rate.

Tank Wash Pay:
$12.91/hour.
Note...almost all tank washes involve dropping dirty tank and/or hooking a clean tank. If the driver is delayed more than 45 minutes due to waiting for their assigned tank to be cleaned then the driver will be paid the $20 live load flat rate.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $13.29/hour.

Breakdown Pay:
$12.91/hour.
Breakdown pay will be paid until the driver goes into a hotel if necessary due to an extended breakdown situation, then will go on layover pay schedule.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $13.29/hour.

Sleeper Berth Pay:
$8 for each night used.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $10/night

Canada Border Crossing Pay:
$15 first hour, then $12.91/hour.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $15 first hour, then $13.29/hour

Local Pay (Loads under 76 miles of domiciled terminal. Also, 51% of your loads must be "local" to be paid this rate, otherwise will be paid hourly rate.):
$14.60/hour.

Layover Pay (after 15 hours):
$12.91/hour (103.28 each full paid 8-hour period), plus hotel during layover. First fifteen hours free, then paid eight, then ten free, then paid eight, etc if necessary.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $13.29/hour ($106.32)

Holiday Pay, Bereavement Pay, Jury Duty Pay:
$103.28/day
Nine major holidays, one floating holiday, and three days for funeral of family member.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $106.32/day.

Personal Days (after 30 days):
$103.28/day
0-5 years: 2 days.
5+ years: 5 days.
***Oct. 02, 2006: $106.32/day.

Training Pay (Depending upon experience):
Experienced drivers: $12.91/hour all on-duty hours.
Inexperienced drivers: $100/day for up to six weeks, as deemed necessary by trainer.
Also, within sixty (60) days of hire, driver must attend the company's five-day safety and orientation course in Kingsport, TN. Driver will be provided company-paid lodging and training pay. If driver fails course they will be immediately terminated and not eligible for re-hire.

Vacation Pay:
$700.80/week.
2 Weeks at 1 year.
3 weeks at 8 years.
4 weeks at 16 years.
5 weeks at 24 years.

Time Off:

Insurance (after 30 days):
Health, Dental, and Prescription Insurance:
Single plan $25/week.
Family plan $37/week.

Life and disability insurance are paid for by the company.

Vision Insurance:
Not available. However, employee will receive a discount for services using medical benefits.

401k Plan (Open enrollment every quarter. Company automatically enrolls driver at 3% unless other amount requested or driver declines enrollment):
Company matches 50% up to a max of $600 annually.

Profit Sharing Plan (After 1 year)

TIDEWATER TRANSIT (1 year O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
.41 Loaded/.25 Empty.

Per Diem Pay:
$40 per day out. Pay is NOT TAXED.

Loading/Unloading Pay:
$10 first 2 hours, then $14.75/hour.

Tank Wash Pay:
$25.

Quarterly Bonus:
$300.

Local Pay:
$14.70/hour.

Layover Pay:
???

Holiday Pay:
$50/day for six major holidays.

Vacation Pay:
1 Weeks at 1 year.
2 weeks at 3 years.
3 weeks at 10 years.

Time Off:

Insurance:
???

401k Plan:
???

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FOOD-GRADE
JIM AARTMAN INC., Line Haul Division (1 year O.T.R. required)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rtman_T800.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n_Columbia.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rtman_9200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...artman_379.jpg
0-6 months: .32
7 months-1 Year: .33
1+ years: .34

Per Diem:
$54 per day out. Pay is NOT TAXED.

Layover Pay (after 48 hours, retroactive to first 24 hours):
$50.

Quarterly Mileage Bonus (based upon the driver's average weekly miles):
2,000 miles or less: No Bonus.
2,001-2,799 miles: .01
2,800-3,500 miles: .03
6-11 years: + .01
11+ years: + .02

Vacation Pay:
Paid average weekly taxable earnings.
1 week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 3 years.
3 weeks at 8 years.

Holiday Pay (Must be dispatched under a load):
$100 each for New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas.

Time Off:
(CA-based trucks) 10-14 days out, 2-3 days in.
(FL-based trucks) 3 weeks out, 3-4 days in.

Rider Program (after 90 days):
Age 10+, immediate family members.

Insurance (After 90 days).
Health and Life Insurance:
Single plan $25/month.
Family plan $280/month.

Dental and Vision Insurance:
Single plan $25/month.
Family plan $50/month.

Insurance Credit:
$200/month paid to employee who has proof of coverage from elsewhere (spouse, retirement benefits, etc.) in lieu of taking company-offered health, dental, and vision insurance plans.

AFLAC supplemental insurance also available.

401k (After 1 Year):
Company matches 100% of first 5% driver contributes.

Operating Area:
(CA-based trucks) California to the Midwest, Midwest to California, Midwest to the Southeast, Southeast to California.
(FL-based trucks) Southeast to the Midwest, Southeast to TX, Midwest to the Southeast, TX to the Southeast, Florida to California, California to the Midwest.

JIM AARTMAN INC., D.F.A. Dedicated Milk Division (1 year O.T.R. required)
0-6 months: .33
6 months-1 year: .34
1-2 years: .35
2-4 years: .36
4+ years: .365

Semi-Annual Mileage Bonus:
.01 all miles.

Cellphone Pay:
$30/month (D.F.A. fleet doesn't have qualcomm on trucks).

Time Off:
7-10 days out, 2-3 days in.

All other pay and benefits are the same as line-haul division.

Operating Area:
MO, IN, IL, WI, MN, MI, OH, KY, TN, GA, NC, SC, VA, PA, MD, Western/Upstate NY.

BYNUM TRANSPORT (2 years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...m_Columbia.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Bynum_379.jpg
Starting Mileage Pay (Practical Route Miles):
0-1 year: .28
1-2 years: .29
2-3 years: .30
3+ years: .31

Per Diem Pay:
.07 of your mileage pay is NOT TAXED.

Layover Pay (after 48 hours, then retroactive to first 24 hours):
$50

Annual Safety Bonus:
$1,000

Vacation Pay:
$300.
1 week after 1 year.
2 weeks after years.

Timeoff:
2-3 weeks out, 2-4 days in.

Rider Program:
Spouse only.

Insurance (after 90 days)
Health, Life, and Vision Insurance:
Single plan $26/week.
Family plan $176.76/week.

Dental Insurance:
Single plan: $5.50/week.
Family plan $17.34/week.

401k plan (After 6 months):
Company matches 25% of first 6% driver contributes.

Operating Area:
Florida to California, Florida to the Midwest, Florida to the Northeast, Florida to TX, California to the Northeast, California to Florida, Midwest to the Southeast, Northeast to the Southeast, Northeast to the Northwest, Northeast to Canada, TX to the Southeast.

CALEDONIA HAULERS (1 year O.T.R. AND driver school, or 2 years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...edonia_379.jpg
Starting Mileage Pay (Practical Route Miles):
0-90 Days: .33
90 Days-6 Years: .35, providing they have had no accidents (see 90 Day Probationary Section for more information).
6-7 Years: .355 (see 90 Day Probationary Section for more information).
7-8 Years: .36 (see experienced/current drivers Probationary Section).
8-9 Years: .365
9-10 Years: .37
10-11 Years: .375
11+ Years: .38
*All current drivers that have 90 days or more will automatically jump to $.35/mile. Any driver that is currrently on probation will not get this raise until their probation is completed.

Detention Pay (After 3 hours, and only if the customer pays detention):
$10/hour with a maximum of $150 per 24 hour period.

Layover Pay (After 24 hours, not including driving time):
$100.

Annual Mileage Bonus:
.01/mile for all miles.

Holiday Pay (After 3 years, OR, any full-time driver dispatched and under a load):
$100 each for New Year's, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Vacation Pay:
1 week after 1 year.
2 weeks after 2 years.
3 weeks after 10 years.
4 weeks after 20 years.

Funeral Pay:
$100 per day.

Time Off:
Drivers will be allowed 6 days off per month starting on the first day of the month to the last day of the month. These 6 days include your weekends off. Drivers will not be able to carry over any unused days the following months. Any additional days will be charged to the driver to cover the cost of the health insurance premiums. The per day amount will be deducted from their first paycheck of the following month. Drivers will be charged per day for excessive time off to cover the cost of health insurance premiums. The charge per day will be $13.32 for those that have single coverage and $33.18 for those that have family coverage.

Rider Program (after 6 months):
$3.50/day, age 9+.

Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance:
Single plan:$30/week.
Single +1 plan: $50/week.
Family plan: $70/week.

401k Plan (After 1 year):
The company will match 50% of the amount put into the plan by the employee, up to the first $1,200 for a maximum contribution by the company of $600.

Operating Area:
Midwest to California, California to Midwest, Midwest to Southeast, Southeast to Midwest, Midwest region.

Clothing Allowance (After 90 days, Part-Time & Full-Time employees will be eligible for a clothing allowance to purchase any merchandise that Caledonia Haulers, Inc. has available.CAN NOT BE ROLLED OVER FROM YEAR TO YEAR):
Full-Time Employees - $100/calendar year
Part-Time Employees - $50/calendar year

***Experienced and Current Drivers Probationary Section:
Each probationary period will start on the date the accident occured. It will be based on each driver's years of service, history with the company and cost or seriousness of the accident.
Minor Accident(anything under $2500):
The cost of the accident will be deducted from their annual Performance Bonus.
Placed on 6 months probation starting from date of the accident.
No pay increase until off probation.

Major Accident (anything $2500 or more):
Possible Termination.
1 Year Probation starting from date of the accident.
Loss of entire Performance Bonus.
No pay increase until off of probation.

***90 Day Probationary Section (If a driver has an accident during the first 90 days of employment the following will apply):
Minor Accident (anything under $2500):
Possible Termination.
6 months Probation starting from date of the accident.
Loss of 1/2 of the Sign On Bonus.
The cost of the accident will be deducted from their annual Performance Bonus.
Go to .34/mile after the first 90 days, until off probation.

Major Accident (anything $2500 or more)
Possible Termination.
1 Year Probation starting from the date of the accident.
Loss of entire Sign on Bonus.
Loss of entire Performance Bonus.
Stay at .33/mile until of probation.

CARRY TRANSIT (1 year O.T.R. required, or, Student grad from approved school in top 3% of class. Superior Carriers sister company)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...perior9200.jpg (Carry Transit uses same model International 9200 as Superior Carriers)
Starting pay (Practical Route Miles):
.38 Loaded/.29 Empty (Loaded/empty miles over 120 miles).
24% (loaded miles under 120 miles)

Loading/Unloading Pay:
$10 first 2 hours, then $14.42/hour.

Tank Wash Pay:
$15.

Breakdown Pay:
$14.42/hour.
Breakdown pay will be paid until the driver goes into a hotel if necessary due to an extended breakdown situation, then will go on layover pay schedule.

Canada Border Crossing Pay:
$15 first hour, then $14.42/hour.

Local Pay:
$14.42/hour.

Layover Pay (after 16 hours):
$14.42/hour (115.36 each full paid 8-hour period), plus hotel during layover. First sixfteen hours free, then paid eight, then sixteen free, then paid eight, etc if necessary.

Holiday Pay, Bereavement Pay, Jury Duty Pay:
$115.36/day
Six major holidays, and three days for funeral of family member.

Training Pay:
$10/hour for up to three weeks, as deemed necessary by trainer. Must also complete orientation and safety course in Kinsport, TN (see Superior Carriers).

Vacation Pay:
$692.16/week.
1 Week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 3 years.
3 weeks at 8 years.

Time Off:

Insurance (after 30 days):
Health and Dental Insurance:
Single plan $25/week.
Family plan $37/week.

Life and disability insurance are paid for by the company.

Vision Insurance:
Not available. However, employee will receive a discount for services using medical benefits.

401k Plan (After 3 months):
Company matches 50% up to a max of $600 annually.

Profit Sharing Plan (After 1 year)

INDIAN RIVER TRANSPORT (2 years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/IRT_9400.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...71/IRT_379.jpg
Starting Mileage Pay (Short Miles):
0-1 year: .32
1-2 years: .33
2-3 years: .34
3+ years: .35

Per Diem Pay:
.08 of your mileage pay is NOT TAXED.

$50.

Annual Safety Bonus:
$500.

Vacation Pay:
$500.
1 week after 1 year.
2 weeks after 5 years.

Timeoff:
2-3 weeks out, 2-4 days in.

Spouse only.

Insurance (after 30 days)
Health Insurance:
Single plan $40/week.
Family plan $80/week.

Dental and Life Insurance:
Single plan $5/week.
Family plan same.

Vision insurance:
Not available.

401k plan (After 1 year):
Company will match $1,000 to the first $2,000 driver contributes.

Operating Area:
Florida to California, Florida to the Northeast, Florida to Canada, California to the Midwest, California to the Northeast, Midwest to the Southeast, Midwest to the Northeast, Northeast to the Southeast.

NORTH AMERICAN TANK LINES (Indian River Transport subsidary)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/NATL_379.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...L_Columbia.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../NATL_Mack.jpg
0-1 year: .34
1+ years: .35

Per Diem Pay:
.05 of your mileage pay is NOT TAXED.

Quarterly Safety Bonus:
$250.

All other pay, benefits, and operating area are the same as Indian River Transport.

JOHNSRUD (5 Years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d_Columbia.jpg
.35. Annual increases available with no pay cap, ranging from .005 to .02 annually dependent upon driver's performance and service.

Per Diem:
5.5 cents of your mileage pay is NOT TAXED.

Loading/Unloading, US/Canada Crossing Delay Pay (After 2 hours, dependent upon years of service):
0-1 yr: $10/hour.
2 yrs: $11/hour.
3 yrs: $12/hour.
4 yrs: $13/hour.
5 yrs: $14/hour.
6 yrs: $15/hour.
7 yrs: $16/hour.
8+ yrs: $17/hour.

Tank Wash Pay (After 1 Year, with exception of company tank wash sites):
$11 flat rate, and increases with years of service. Paid according to detention pay schedule. .

Stop Off Pay:
Paid an extra $25 for each stop after initial pickup and delivery.

Layover Pay:
Paid $25 for first 24 hour period, then $55 each additional 24 hours. This pay is NOT TAXED.

Breakdown Pay:
$25 each 24 hours. This pay is NOT TAXED.

Quarterly Fuel Bonus:
Ranges from .005 to .03/mile and is paid as a flat rate based on your mpg. The required mpg is adjusted for seasonal changes.

Holiday Pay (Must be dispatched under a load):
$50 each for New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.
$100 for Thanksgiving.
$250 for Christmas.

Vacation Pay:
$520.
1 week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 2 years.
3 weeks at 5 years.
4 weeks at 15 years.

Bereavement Pay (in the event of the death of an immediate family member.):
$104 for 3 days.

Time Off:
7-10 days out, 1-2 days in.

Rider Program:
???

Additional Benefits:
Insurance (After 60 days and company contributes over $3500 towards your health insurance (United Health Care) plus $15,000 of Life Insurance.).
Health Insurance:
Single plan $15.09/week.
Family plan $49.37/week.

Dental Insurance:
Single plan $14.48/month.
Family plan $34.62/month.

Vision Insurance:
Single plan $8.65/month.
Family plan $19.10/month.

AFLAC, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability also available.

401k (After 1 Year):
Retirement plan available with company Board resolution possible for matching funds.

Operating Area:
Midwest to California, Midwest to Northeast, Midwest to Southeast, California to Midwest, Northeast to Midwest, Northeast to Midwest, Southeast to Midwest, Southeast to Northeast, Midwest region.

LCL BULK TRANSPORT (2 years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/LCL_Mack.jpg
***LCL is changing their pay package in late July '06 , I'll update it asap***
Starting mileage pay (HHG Miles):
0-1 year: .315
1-2 years: .32
2-3 years: .3275
3-4 years: .3375
4-5 years: .34
5+ years: .345

Loading/Unloading Pay, Tank Wash Pay:
0-1 year: $11.50 first 2 hours, then $11.50/hour.
1-2 years: $11.75 first 2 hours, then $11.75/hour.
2-3 years: $12.00 first 2 hours, then $12.00/hour.
3+ years: $12.25 first 2 hours, then $12.25/hour.

Layover Pay (as explained to me by a friend who drives here):
You are paid per diem for the last 8 hrs of the 1st 24 you are laid over($41 ???). But, you are then paid your hourly rate for the 1st 8 hours of the 2nd 24-hour period. And you do not need to be off the full 48. So, being laid over 32 hrs pays $135. This applies to loaded and empty layover.

Breakdown Pay:
$11.50/hour.

Quartely Mileage Bonus:
.015 for all miles.

Holiday Pay:
Paid according to hourly loading pay rate (x10 hours) for New Year's, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Personal Days (after 120 days):
Paid according to hourly loading pay rate (x10 hours) for 2 days.

Vacation Pay:
1 Week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 2 years.

Time Off:

Rider Program:
Immediate family.

Health, Dental and Vision Insurance:
Single plan $24/week.
Single and Children: $44/week.
Single and Spouse: $46/week.
Family plan $66/week.

Life and Short-term disability insurance also available.

401k/Profit Sharing Plan (After 1 year):
Company match varies depending upon company productivity.

Operating Area:
Northeast to Midwest, Midwest to Northeast, Northeast to California, California to Midwest, California to Northeast, Northeast to Southeast, Southeast to Northeast, Southeast to Midwest, Northeast region.

OAKLEY TRANSPORT (2 years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y_Columbia.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...akley_Mack.jpg
0-1 year: .31
1-2 years: .32
2-3 years: .33
3-4 years: .34
4-5 years: .345
5-6 years: .35
6-7 years: .355
7-8 years: .36
8-9 years: .365
9+ years: .37

Monthly Incentive Pay (Must run minimum of 10,000 miles monthly to qualify):
10,000 miles: +.01 All miles.
11,000 miles: +.02
12,000 miles: +.03
13,000 miles: +.04

Per Diem Pay:
.09 of your mileage pay is NOT TAXED.

Unloading Pay:
$10 per pump unload by driver.

$50.

Semi-annual Safety Bonus:
0-1 year: $2,000.
1+ years: $1,500.

Vacation Pay:
Paid average weekly taxable earnings.
1 week after 1 year.
2 weeks after 2 years.
3 weeks after 5 years.

Timeoff:
2-3 weeks out, 2-3 days in.

Spouse only.

Insurance (after 90 days)
Health Insurance:
0-4 years: Single plan $17.50/week, Family plan $109.50/week.
4-6 years: $15.00, $107.00.
6+ years: $12.50, $104.50.

Dental and Life Insurance:
Single plan $4.88/week.
Family plan $13.98/week.

Vision insurance:
Not available.

Company match varies depending upon company productivity.

Operating Area:
Florida to California, Florida to the Midwest, Florida to the Northeast, Florida to the Northwest, Florida to Canada, Florida to TX, California to the Midwest, California to the Southeast, Northeast to the Southeast, Northeast to Canada, TX to the Southeast, Northeast to the Midwest.

OPIES TRANSPORT (2 Years O.T.R. required)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Opies_T600.jpg

Loading/Unloading Pay:
$15 per pump unload by driver.
After 3 hours, $10/hour.

$50

Quarterly mileage Bonus:
.02 all miles.

Time Off:
10-14 days out, 2-3 days in.

Age 18+, not limited to family but preferred.

Vacation Pay:
1 week after 1 year.
2 weeks after years.

Holiday Pay (must be dispatched under a load):
Paid double miles on Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Health & life Insurance :
Single plan: Company paid.
Family plan: $42.07/week.

Dental Insurance:
Not available.

Vision Insurance:
Not available.

Company matches 100% on first 3% driver contributes.

Operating Area:
Midwest, Southeast, Northeast, some West Coast.

TRANSPORT SERVICE COMPANY (2 Years O.T.R. required w/HAZMAT)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../TSC_Volvo.jpg
0-2 years: .35 Loaded/.27 Empty
2-5 years: .36/.27
5+ years: .37/.27

Loading/Unloading Pay, Tank Wash Pay:
$11 first 2 hours, then $11/hour.

Annual Mileage Bonus:
.01 for all miles.

Holiday Pay:
$100 each for New Year's, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Vacation Pay:
1 Week at 1 year.
2 weeks at 2 years.

Time Off:

Rider Program:
*Recruiting didn't answer about this.

Health, Dental, Vision, or Life Insurance:
*Recruiting didn't answer about this.

Company matches 100% on first 4% driver contributes.

Operating Area:
Midwest to Southeast, Midwest to Northeast, Southeast to Midwest, Southeast to Northeast, Northeast to Midwest, Midwest to California, California to Midwest, Midwest region.
AFLAC, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability also available.

401k (After 1 Year):
Retirement plan available with company Board resolution possible for matching funds.

Operating Area:
Midwest to California, Midwest to Northeast, Midwest to Southeast, California to Midwest, Northeast to Midwest, Northeast to Midwest, Southeast to Midwest, Southeast to Northeast, Midwest region.

Now is a recap of every load to date that I've done since being with my present employer, Jim Aartman Inc. of Ripon, CA. Even though I live in Florida, I operate under our California dispatch board. This is due to the fact that doing this allows me to reload from the Midwest back to California if I choose to stay out a little longer and, keeps me from dealing with our FL yard and their b.s. (there's an inside joke that the Mulberry terminal is the Indian RIver Division of Jim Aartman, and with good reason :roll: :roll: :roll:.....).

Week 1 (Starting from 06-25-2004):
-Fair Oaks, IN to Twelve Mile, IN to Winston Salem, NC (68 Empty-600 Loaded=668 Total.....Live load 06-25/0700-0740, Live unload and washout 06-26/0750-0940).
-Winston Salem to Valdosta, GA to Lakeland, FL (543 empty-230 loaded=773 total.....06-26/D&H, live unload and washout 06-28/0615-0740).
-Lakeland to Mulberry, FL (11 miles). From there I took a few days off in Jacksonville...
End of week total: 1,452 miles.

Week 2:
-Mulberry, FL to Lake Wales, FL (tankwash) to Indiantown, FL to Fresno, CA (143 empty-2,790 loaded=2,933 total.....live load 07-03/0250-0620, live unload 07-08/0815-1310).
End of week total: 2,933 miles.

Week 3:
-Fresno to Tulare, CA (tankwash) to Tipton, CA to Greenwood, WI (56 empty-2,229 loaded=2,285 total.....washout and live load 07-09/0700-0855, live unload and washout 07-13/0600-0655).
-Greenwood to Fair Oaks, IN (384 miles). Took a few days off there while my truck was getting serviced. Good workout time!!!
End of week total: 2,669 miles.

Week 4:
-Fair Oaks, IN to Lafayette, IN (tankwash) to Polo, IL to Logan, UT (286 empty-1,356 loaded=1,642 total.....live load, unload, and reload due to product not being loaded at the proper temperature 07-19/1250-2355, live unload 07-22/0700-0935).
-Logan to Beaver, UT (tankwash) to Cedar City, UT to Gustine, CA (335 empty-638 loaded=973 total.....live load 07-23/1120-1400, live unload and washout 07-24/0630-1120).
End of week total: 2,615 miles.

Week 5:
-Gustine to Ripon, CA (tankwash) to Fresno, CA to Neenah, WI (149 empty-2,326 loaded=2,475 total.....washout and live load 07-25/0600-0845, live unload and washout 07-29/1000-1210).
-Neenah to Twelve Mile, IN to Roanoke, VA (335 empty-562 loaded=897 total.....live load 07-30/0945-1045, live unload and washout 07-31/1100-1215).
End of week total: 3,372 miles.

Week 6:
-Roanoke to Montezuma, GA to Winter Haven, FL via Mulberry, FL (559 empty-395 loaded=954 total.....08-01/D&H, live unload and washout 08-02/1100-1235).
-Winter Haven to Mulberry, FL (19 miles). From there to here in Jacksonville for a few more days off.
End of week total: 973 miles.

Week 7:
-Mulberry, FL to Haines City, FL (tankwash) to Indiantown, FL to Fresno, CA (164 empty-2,790 loaded=2,954 total.....live load 08-06/2250-0125, live unload 08-12/0630-1050).
End of week total: 2,954 miles.

Week 8:
-Fresno to Tulare, CA (tankwash) to Tipton, CA to Waupun, WI (55 empty-2,228 loaded=2,283.....washout and live load 08-12/1835-2110, live unload and washout 08-16/2235-2350).
-Waupun to Neosho, MO to Vernon, CA (698 empty-1,548 loaded=2,246.....live load 08-18/0730-0930, live unload 08-20/0600-1030).
End of week total: 4,529 miles.

Week 9:
-Vernon to Corona, CA (day off), then to Tulare, CA (tankwash) to Lemoore, CA to Greenwood, WI (300 empty-2,216 loaded=2,516.....washout and live load 08-21/2100-0045, live unload and washout 08-25/1950-2130).
End of week total: 2,516 miles.

Week 10:
-Greenwood to Fair Oaks, IN (truck service and time off), then to Rembrandt, IA to Ripon, CA (918 empty-1,784 loaded=2,702.....live load 08-30/0800-1130, 09-01/D&H).
End of week total: 2,702 miles.

Week 11:
-Ripon to Newman, CA to Greenwood, WI (54 empty-2,166 loaded=2,220.....washout and live load 09-02/0700-1000, live unload and washout 09-06/0915-1100).
-Greenwood to Rockford, IL (235 loaded.....live load 09-07/0800-1000, live unload and washout 09-07/1900-2015).
-Rockford to Fair Oaks, IN to Lynchburg, VA (161 empty-645 loaded=806.....live load 09-09/1600-1630, live unld and washout 09-10/1345-1520). From there boogied on down to Jacksonville for time off.
End of week total: 3,261 miles.

Week 12:
Went from Jacksonville down to Mulberry, FL where I began by doing a local load.
-Mulberry, FL to Haines City, FL (tank wash) to Ft. Pierce, FL to Bradenton, FL (934 empty-175 loaded=1,109 total.....live load 09-16/2045-2345; live unload 09-17/0300-0615).
End of week total: 1,109 miles.

Week 13:
-Bradenton to Haines City, FL (tank wash) to Clewiston, FL to City of Industry, CA (208 empty-2,668 loaded=2,876 total.....live load 09-18/1300-1500, live unload 09-22/1420-1645).
End of week total: 2,876 miles.

Week 14:
-City of Industry to Tulare, CA (tank wash) to Lemoore, CA to Greenwood, WI (218 empty-2,216=2,434 total.....washout and live load 09-23/1500-1900; live unload and washout 09-27/0600-0715).
-Greenwood to Thompson, IA to Vernon, CA (235 empty-1,917 loaded=2,152 total.....washout and live load 09-28/0715-0930; live unload 09-30/1500-1730).
End of week total: 4,586 miles.

Week 15:
-Vernon, CA to Corona, CA (34 hour reset) to Tulare, CA (tank wash) to Tipton, CA to Waupun, WI (280 empty-2,228 loaded=2,508 total.....washout and live load 10-02/2000-2215; live unload and washout 10-06/1130-1330).
End of week total: 2,508 miles.

Week 16:
-Waupun to Fair Oaks, IN (3 days off) to Lafayette, IN (tank wash) to Millersburg, OH to Norco, CA (603 empty-2,304 loaded=2,907 total.....washout and live load 10-11/1430-1545; live unload 10-14/1230-1345). Mind you this load wasn't scheduled to unload until 10-15/1200. However, I called the receiver and asked if they'd take me early...when the answer was yes, I pushed and got on in there. Why you may ask??? Because for one I wanted to take another reset, and two, I wanted to get my truck looked at asap. I'd been having power losses that were getting worse that had started when I ran out to CA this last time, and running back towards WI. Got it into the shop where it was discovered that I had a bad turbo wastegate. Got it replaced while relaxing that day-and-a-half
and what do ya know, the truck pulls fine once again (not that it was pulling too terribly bad even "sick"). Had yet another adventure to come ....
End of week total: 2,907 miles.

Week 17:
-Norco to Chino, CA (tank wash) to Corona, CA (34 hour reset) to Lemoore, CA where during the initial washout it was discovered that my internal load valve was leaking, and we couldn't get it to stop (1605-1630)!!! Can't load with that being faulty so back to the Tipton, CA yard to swap tanks, then back to Lemoore, CA to get loaded to Greenwood, WI (336 empty-2,216 loaded=2,552 total.....washout and live load 10-16/2100-0045, live unload and washout 10-20/1345-1720). Time for some short runs.....damn the luck that I didn't have enough time to do another Midwest-CA-WI turn before coming home!
-Greenwood to Fair Oaks, IN to Braselton, GA (384 empty-685 loaded=1,069; live load 10-22/1215-1245, live unload and washout 10-23/1200-1345).
End of week total: 3,621 miles.

Week 18:
-Braselton back to Fair Oaks, IN to Lynchburg, VA (685 empty-645 loaded=1,330 total.....live load 10-25/0730-0800, live unload and washout 10-26/0815-1000).
-Lynchburg to Fair Oaks, IN to Lynchburg, VA (645 empty-645 loaded=1,290 total.....live load 10-28/0730-0800, live unload and washout 10-29/1045-1330). After this load I went home.
End of week total: 2,620 miles.

Week 19:
N/A due to time off.

Week 20:
-Lynchburg, VA to Clewiston, FL to City of Industry, CA (938 empty-2,638 loaded=3,576 total.....live load 11-05/0200-0540, live unload 11-10/1000-1225).
End of week total: 3,576 miles.

Week 21:
-City of Industry to Tulare, CA (34 hour reset and tank wash) to Visalia, CA to Prosser, WA (204 empty-989 loaded=1,193 total.....live load 11-12/1415-1700, 34 hour reset then live unload 11-15/0700-1030). Made out real good on this one, as I ran up I-5 to U.S. 97 through Northern
California, Oregon, and into Washington enroute to Prosser. I cut off over 100 miles doing this!
-Prosser to Sunnyside, WA (tank wash) to Wapato, WA to Bradenton, FL (40 empty-3,035 loaded=3,075 total.....live load 11-16/0745-1100, D&H 11-20). Scheduled appointment was 11-21/0700. Took time off after this load.
End of week total: 4,268 miles.

Week 22:
N/A due to time off.

Week 23:
-Bradenton, FL to Mulberry, FL to Clewiston, FL to City of Industry, CA (191 empty-2,638 loaded=2,829 total.....washout and live load 11-26/2115-0230, live unload 12-01/0700-0900).
End of week total: 2,829 miles.

Week 24:
-C.O.I. to Ripon, CA (truck service and 34 hour reset) to Hilmar, CA to Greenwood, WI (386 empty-2,155 loaded=2,541 total.....washout and live load 12-03/0600-0715, live unload and washout 12-06/0615-0730).
End of week total: 2,541 miles.

Week 25:
-Greenwood to Fair Oaks, IN to Neenah, WI to South Gate, CA (653 empty-2,206 loaded=2,859 total plus $50 detention pay.....washout and live load 12-11/0245-0510, live unload 12-15/0430-1230).
Went out with a couple of buddies of mine from TruckNet and had some BBQ at Joey's, a favorite eating establishment of mine when in the Chino/Pomona area...
End of week total: 2,859 miles

Week 26:
-South Gate to Chino, CA (tank wash) to Tipton, CA to Stockton, IL (251 empty-2,079 loaded=2,330 total.....washout and live load 12-16/1415-2255, live unload and washout 12-20/0500-0600).
-Stockton to Fair Oaks, IN to Braselton, GA (210 empty-685 loaded=

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Cyanide. Good to see you.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Ah yes, Tanker Yanking more fun than any driver should legally be allowed to have!!!

Whether it be chemical, food grade, petroleum, liquid ox, etc... A Tanker Yanker has to have steady nerves, patience of a saint and a willingness to adapt to any situation quickly...

As the other guy said good to see you here Cyanide

Old 03-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Cyanide, good to see ya. Post all you can. Seems you have very good info and welcome aboard.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Tanker info for y'all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
:rock: <------------Is this a smiley version of Slayer or Malevolent Creation :lol: :lol: :lol:?
I would hope you'd the common decency to clear up that it's the pre-Divine Intervention Slayer, which is so very near and dear to my heart, and not Slayer in their present form, which, in my ever so humble opinion, really took a crap with that last album of theirs.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

:roll:...since I couldn't get it on the original post!

Week 10:
-La Sueur, MN to Farina, IL to Las Vegas NV (659 empty-1,839 loaded=2,498 total.....washout and live load 03-07/0600-0800, live unload 03-09/1300-1600). Took rest of day and most of today off before driving over here for this update but, since I didn't get in a full twenty-four hours off it will obviously go against my days working...
End of week total: 2,498 miles.

Week 11:
-Las Vegas, NV to Tulare, CA (tank wash), then to Fresno, CA to Neenah, WI (393 empty-2,326 loaded=2,719 total.....washout and live load 03-11/0630-0850, live unload and washout 03-15/0400-0615). From there came down here to Fair Oaks for my truck service and to take a little more than a day off.
End of week total: 2,719 miles.

Week 12:
-Neenah, WI to Fair Oaks, IN, then to Neosho, MO to Norco, CA (798 empty-1,513 loaded=2,311 total.....washout and live load 03-18/0600-0830, live unload 03-21/1000-1120).
-Norco, CA to Chino, CA (tank wash), then back to Norco, CA to Gustine, CA (10 empty-331 loaded=341 total.....washout and live load 03-21/1330-1630, live unload 03-22/0500-0730).
End of week total: 2,652 miles.

Week 13:
-Gustine, CA to Ripon, CA (tank wash), then to Delano, CA to Bradenton, FL (225 empty-2,634 loaded=2,859 total.....washout and live load 03-24/0830-0940, Drop & Hook 03-27). From there came up here to Jacksonville for a few days off enroute to my next load...

2005 Totals (with leaving out 04-04)
Miles: 35,087
Loads: 18 (36)
Live Loads/Unloads: 30 (83%)
Drop and Hooks: 6 (17%)
Length of Haul: 1,949 miles
Days Out/Working: 69
Days Off: 25

Jim Aartman Totals
Miles: 107,512
Loads: 54 (108 )
Live Loads/Unloads: 97 (90%)
Drop and Hooks: 11 (10%)
Length Of Haul: 1,991 miles
Days Out/Working: 214
Days Off: 73

Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

you forgot KBR
715-753-xxxx :shock:
$7,000 a month-Benefit is living
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Yoopr, good point :lol: :lol: :lol:!

Jeff, sorry, have to disagree with ya. I've been listening to Slayer since '83 when "Show No Mercy" was released, and to me Slayer is Slayer. I've never been disappointed by any of their albums. We can talk about that in another post or through p.m.'s though. I'd really like for this thread to stay on the subject of tankers and information pertinent to them. Thanks :wink:...

BTW, will be updating this shortly y'all. Thanks for the patience.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Whew...

Okay gang, the update on the original post is finally done :!:

Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Cyanide,

Thanks for the very informative postings related to driving tankers. For many of the reasons you've outlined, I'd like to drive a tanker as well. What is your opinion of a persons first driving job hauling bulk? Do you know of other companies besides Schneider that will train an inexperienced driver in bulk? My plan is to get my CDL at Central Vo-Tech in Drumright, OK then hire on with Schneider's bulk division. They would require me to take their regular three week training but without the one year contract, then a week of bulk training, then out with a bulk trainer.