Old 10-24-2014, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
From what I've read about it, it can be very time consuming finding the cars in the lot and then loading them.(I'm sure it's all logged) Climbing up and down wouldn't be to bad except when you have to load/unload in the dark or rain or snow. Could you imagine backing a full size sedan up to the top front in the freezing rain? Not just no way but HELL NO! One thing I've learned over the years is that it that the older you get the longer it takes to heal.

You load in all sorts of weather. I remember once when I had to load at an auction south of St. Paul, MN. The temperature was -40. I would load a car and have to stop and get in the truck to get warm before going back outside and trying to chain down another part of the car. When you pick up at an auction your vehicles are supposed to be in a certain spot. Some have parking spots that are numbered. When other car haulers need their cars they sometimes move your cars to get their load. If it snows, it can make it difficult to find them due to the numbers having snow on them. Ramps can be slick when it rains or snows. Sleet can be especially troublesome. Once, when unloading in North Carolina it was pouring rain. I had to drop at a car dealership after hours. It was dark and difficult to see. I had set my ramps at too acute of an angle. As I started backing off the ramp the Suburban started to slide. I cut the wheels sharp and they caught on the ramps and it slowed me and kept me from backing off the trailer and damaging the vehicle. I think that I dropped two vehicles that night. I was so glad to get them off my truck.

When it snows, sleets or rains, ramps can and do get very slick. You must be very careful to not slip too much. You really get your exercise hauling vehicles. You are climbing up and down those ramps and it is soooooo easy to lose your footing and fall. Still, I enjoyed hauling them, at least until I fell.

Most flatbedders use about 10 chains. Hauling cars, you will usually use 4 chains on each vehicle. My trucks hauled 10 vehicles. That is 40 chains. Sometimes, I had to use 6 on a larger vehicle, such as a big pick up or suv that was on the back on top. I used the extra chains due to the acute angle. It might not have been necessary, but I tend to over chain. Most car haulers use tire straps today due to the newer suspensions.

You are certainly right about it taking longer to load when you get older. It seems to take me longer to secure a load on a step deck or flat than it did just a decade ago. I take my time and check my load more than once. As I recall, it used to take me longer to load my cars than some of the younger drivers. But, I never had a car fall off my truck.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I did. It was about 15 years ago. I broke my back, pelvis and both wrists. It was one of those freaky accidents that can happen pulling cars. I was standing on the top rail behind the tractor when I fell. I landed on a 20' piece of steel. I was in a body cast from my pelvis to just under my arms for about 4 1/2 months, had surgery on one arm (almost lost it). I was in a back brace for about a year. It was quite an experience that I don't recommend for anyone.
Wow!! Hey, GMAN!! Ever thought about changing your moniker to "HumptyDumpty"!!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
Wow!! Hey, GMAN!! Ever thought about changing your moniker to "HumptyDumpty"!!

Well, they could not put HumptyDumpty back together again. I am doing pretty well, especially considering the shape I was in during that time. It was pretty difficult for a few years. The first year was really bad. But, other than some stiffness in my back when I sit for a long time, I am doing pretty well. I was very fortunate. My back is not as strong as before, but I do whatever I want. Most people who know me cannot believe how well I have done after the accident. I tried hauling cars for a few weeks after I finally got back to work. It was difficult with my back. I don't have as much flexibility in my back so getting down low to chain and sliding in and out of the cars is not as easy. I could probably still haul cars, but I now prefer something that is usually closer to the ground. I owned a couple of car haulers when this happened. One was a stinger and the other was a high mount. I was out of commission for about a year. I leased to Landstar for a while and pulled some of their vans around. The pay wasn't nearly as good, but at least I was back working. It was difficult cranking the landing gear. I could very easily been killed or or worse, when I fell. Had I landed slightly differently and broken my back at in a different spot, I might not be here today.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, i got it about turnover, and difficulties. I do understand that, most folks are looking for easier, just a few for the better, and those few know the difference. What i don't understand, why not to at least listen what he has to offer?
BTW accidents do happened in any type of work. I've smashed my left hand by rolloff door 20 years ago, 6 months on a workers comp, still couldn't make a proper fist....
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Jeeze. There are so many potential problems that a driver could face when going with a "start up" company. Pay, benefits, and miles are NOT the primary concern, in my opinion.

Does this guy have any business experience? Or, did he just wake up one morning thinking "I'm going to start a trucking business". That would be very important to find out.

Does he know how to sell his services to shippers and brokers? Does he have accounting experiences? What about experience collecting from slow paying customers?

Does he even have experience running a business? Any business? How does he manage employees and drivers?

What's his plan for truck maintenance both at home and on the road?

How are the drivers going to be dispatched? Is it just him working 24/7 or does he have a team to handle all the other things required of running a business?

Those are just a few relevant questions that a potential driver should consider.

It's all roses when you're in line at the bank to deposit money, but what about all the other things involved in running a viable business?

A potential driver going to a company that's just starting would be totally in their rights to ask those kinds of questions. Getting satisfying answers could be a different story all together, however. Just as a driver can ask the questions, he could refuse to answer them. That's his right too. I'd run for the hills, however, if this guy wasn't forthcoming with that type of information.

No, the pay & benefits questions, although important, are irrelevant if you go to work for a company that's only destiny is failure.

I'm not saying that's this guys density, I have no idea, but one needs to do their due diligence to protect #1.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Can't agree more. But my point is that very few even bother to call. And personally, if i'd be out of work, and looking to make a living, why would i care about his problems, as long as i got my paycheck? Well, there is a risk involved to work one week for free, but that's about it....for employee. Or am i wrong about that?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Rookie

we as america has riased kids that don,t want or need to work man i,m 49 and hard working depenable driver i,ll take your job offer 1099 or w2 as long as the miles are their 24years in industry 276 492 5157
Old 12-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry brother, it's not my job offer, but next time i'll talk to him, i'll give him your number....
Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I also dont understand what people are looking for. I think I have an awesome job but we still struggle to hire drivers. First problem is our requirements are high, clean licence, no dui's, clean background, hazmat, doubles. But still that's not that big a deal is it? Second problem is new guys are on call, work eratic hours, work the dock, whatever no one else wants. Dockwork is on a towmotor but still can be somewhat physical at times, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The first 2-5 years can be rough but certainly not unbearable and 95% of our work is home daily. A new guy can make 30-50k for the first 2-3 years. Still beats living in a truck for 35cpm in my book. If they look at the big picture, I've been here 8 years, run a set schedule, 45-50 hours, all legal, weekends off, holidays off, pension, cheap medical insurance, and make 80k. My position is very average and guys senior to me make more, some 100-120k working 60-70 hours. I could wine about the bad parts of the job but why bother, every job has bad parts. It blows my mind but its hard for us to hire because no one wants to start at the bottom and work their way up. I would like a little more freedom, I fantasize about being an O/O, but I have it too good to quit. I know I can't replace what I have, but I worked my way into it, I started at the bottom. And yes I still run a tow motor a couple hours every night, in the cold, I don't like it, but it pays good. Someday I'll have a run with no dockwork. My truck isn't fancy at all, No frills, but its newer, has air and a radio. I don't know, it's just a job to me, not a lifestyle, or an adventure, I guess we all want something different.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
I also dont understand what people are looking for. I think I have an awesome job but we still struggle to hire drivers. First problem is our requirements are high, clean licence, no dui's, clean background, hazmat, doubles. But still that's not that big a deal is it? Second problem is new guys are on call, work eratic hours, work the dock, whatever no one else wants. Dockwork is on a towmotor but still can be somewhat physical at times, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The first 2-5 years can be rough but certainly not unbearable and 95% of our work is home daily. A new guy can make 30-50k for the first 2-3 years. Still beats living in a truck for 35cpm in my book. If they look at the big picture, I've been here 8 years, run a set schedule, 45-50 hours, all legal, weekends off, holidays off, pension, cheap medical insurance, and make 80k. My position is very average and guys senior to me make more, some 100-120k working 60-70 hours. I could wine about the bad parts of the job but why bother, every job has bad parts. It blows my mind but its hard for us to hire because no one wants to start at the bottom and work their way up. I would like a little more freedom, I fantasize about being an O/O, but I have it too good to quit. I know I can't replace what I have, but I worked my way into it, I started at the bottom. And yes I still run a tow motor a couple hours every night, in the cold, I don't like it, but it pays good. Someday I'll have a run with no dockwork. My truck isn't fancy at all, No frills, but its newer, has air and a radio. I don't know, it's just a job to me, not a lifestyle, or an adventure, I guess we all want something different.

Hey Snowman, 7 years later I have looked backed and wondered what if I had stayed with UPS Freight? Where would I be now ? I got that answer about two months ago, I was pulling a load of fuel to Waste Pro in Daytona and ran into a former co worker with UPS Freight, in fact he and I went through orientation together and started the same day, however he did have some P&D experience so he started driving right away while I went to the docks and filled in. We all know how that worked out for me screwing up my back, an operation and 4 months of down time before the good ole Teamsters came in and ruined my chances of driving anytime soon even further. That was Feb to April of 2008, Made the jump to fuel in May of 08 and spent two years with Florida Rock before jumping to Mansfield Oil. Coming up on my 5 year anniversary with Mansfield and have every intention to retire with them.
When I saw this guy at Waste Pro he remembered me right away, we got to talking and he assured me that I made the right move, in the last four years I have yet to see under 75K with this year and last year topping out at just over 82k the only thing I don't have is the built in retirement plan that helps fund the Teamsters, or the cheap insurance which I do have to say was good. He told me he is coming in at just over 68K a year. I guess it boils down to what works for the individual, myself I enjoy working 10 to 12 hours with only 4 or 5 stops as opposed to bumping 15 to 20 docks. I have the weekends off and as senior driver I choose if I want to work holidays or not. Last Christmas I worked pulled two loads made just over $600 for the day (double load pay for the holiday). This year I am at home. Here in Orlando the new UPS Freight guys are still driving those old Overnight Volvo's and they are lucky if they have AC.. Sadly he had nothing good to say about the Teamsters, with Florida being a right to work state they are pretty much powerless.. In the end all that matters is how the individual feels about their job , as there are days in my job I just want to yell.
Merry Christmas to you..
Timberwolf