User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add. No driving in SNOW and weekends off. now im really starting to sound like a pre Madonna

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
No driving in SNOW and weekends off. now im really starting to sound like a pre Madonna
It's OK! I'm the same way too. The only difference (if any), that for me is most important is the ## of $$$. If i'm not willing to do something for $, i'll do it for $$, or $$$....You got the drift.... And of course there are always a few exceptions from that rule. There are few things, that no amount of $$$$ worth doing for me, and some i'll do even for free, depending on circumstances.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

If it's a start up business people might be worried if they'd get paid or if they'll be in business for more than a few months. The business being in NJ would give me concern too.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
If it's a start up business people might be worried if they'd get paid or if they'll be in business for more than a few months. The business being in NJ would give me concern too.
Yeah! That and the simple fact of "work every other day" I don't like like one on and one off, just as soon get it all done at once. NJ is also a deal breaker, I deal with to many NJ ahole as it with out actually going there.
Car hauling? never done it but from what I've read that would also probably be a deal breaker .
I'm I being picky? Maybe but I've already got the vacation,weekends,health,dental ect and I make almost what your friend is offering and I don't have to winch wrecks up in the rain&snow for a back haul.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I understand, and agree, good points. But I doubt it very much, that most drivers doing as good as you are. 20 years ago I would kill for that job, or at least would make a phone call to find out detailes. He said that calls a far and between, so I'm kinda confused......
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are a lot of drivers around, but finding good drivers is a challenge. There is no way to avoid turnover. I have had drivers whom I have treated well, paid very well and they still decide to leave after a time. I have found that home time is as important or more so than pay. There is a lot of competition for drivers. It is difficult for smaller carriers to compete with mega carriers when it comes to benefits. But, regardless of size, we all have to deal with driver turnover. If you plan on having drivers then you need to plan for turnover and to understand that there will be times when your truck or trucks will sit due to not having drivers. It is a part of this business. No carrier will have all their driver seats filled all of the time. As you talk to drivers you may ask them what they are looking for in a carrier.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I think car hauling is hard work and dangerous. Didn't you, GMAN, break your back or something hauling cars?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Board Icon

Car hauling, forget about it for me. Watched a guy doing it about a year ago, no thanks. He was up and down like crazy. I'm a small guy, seems like the right niche for me, but no way after seeing that. Equipment is easier, not up and down 2 levels like a car hauler.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Car hauling, forget about it for me. Watched a guy doing it about a year ago, no thanks. He was up and down like crazy. I'm a small guy, seems like the right niche for me, but no way after seeing that. Equipment is easier, not up and down 2 levels like a car hauler.
From what I've read about it, it can be very time consuming finding the cars in the lot and then loading them.(I'm sure it's all logged) Climbing up and down wouldn't be to bad except when you have to load/unload in the dark or rain or snow. Could you imagine backing a full size sedan up to the top front in the freezing rain? Not just no way but HELL NO! One thing I've learned over the years is that it that the older you get the longer it takes to heal.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
I think car hauling is hard work and dangerous. Didn't you, GMAN, break your back or something hauling cars?

I did. It was about 15 years ago. I broke my back, pelvis and both wrists. It was one of those freaky accidents that can happen pulling cars. I was standing on the top rail behind the tractor when I fell. I landed on a 20' piece of steel. I was in a body cast from my pelvis to just under my arms for about 4 1/2 months, had surgery on one arm (almost lost it). I was in a back brace for about a year. It was quite an experience that I don't recommend for anyone.