User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyZ View Post
NO, normally you never "clean" hoses...you simply run more product through. It's good etiquette to get some hose end plugs to decrease the residual drippage, keep ends clean, etc. when hauling fuel oils and diesel, because it tends to make a mess whereas gasoline evaporates fast and the hoses stay clean. If you unload the fuel/diesel first then the gas...you're all set, no need to worry about drippage then, providing you had both products on the same load of course.

As far as training is concerned...it's all in the individual, and you'd never want to rush your training along and not be completely 100% confident in your work. I've trained guys that just needed refreshing to guys that it took a couple days to get the hang of it, to guys that couldn't get it after a couple weeks and bailed out. The company (if they're a good one,) will let you train for as long as you need to if they're all about safety.

And just for the record, I have been at it since 1978 and I have soaked my shoes in gas for forgetting to hook the hose onto the discharge and opening the valve full-flow...(that's right,) and I have gotten a couple of baths in fuel oil for not watching what I was doing too. If you're half-smart, you only make those kind of mistakes ONCE...just so you know, it's OK to mess up, it takes a good man to cover it up. It takes a better man to make it look like it was supposed to happen that way...
Been doing this since 2008, my trainer told me, it is not if you are going to screw up but rather when you will screw up, happens to all of us at one time or another, and yes it can be as simple as the way you set up to unload, if I don't start at my belly value compartment first and work my way down step by step the same way everytime then I will forget something.. I do it the same way all the time whether I am dropping a gravity load or doing a pump off.

I was taught hook to the ground first then to the trailer, only took once to do it the opposite way and ended up spilling 10 gallons in the split second it took me to realize I was not hooked to the ground. my trailer gravity drops at about 7-8 gallons a second so it does not take much to make a mess.

My personal favorite is product in the vapor lines when you vent the trailer, only took me two times to learn stand away from the vapor line when venting you just never know.

Here in Florida when it gets hot outside you should never plug hoses after a gas drop as the internal pressure of the hose will send a plug some 30' in the air not to mention what it could do to your face if the two ever connected, its not so bad with ULSD however it is best to release the pressure before uncapping and make sure the hose is pointed away from anyone, treat it like a loaded gun.

Timberwolf
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Been doing this since 2008, my trainer told me, it is not if you are going to screw up but rather when you will screw up, happens to all of us at one time or another, and yes it can be as simple as the way you set up to unload, if I don't start at my belly value compartment first and work my way down step by step the same way everytime then I will forget something.. I do it the same way all the time whether I am dropping a gravity load or doing a pump off.

I was taught hook to the ground first then to the trailer, only took once to do it the opposite way and ended up spilling 10 gallons in the split second it took me to realize I was not hooked to the ground. my trailer gravity drops at about 7-8 gallons a second so it does not take much to make a mess.

My personal favorite is product in the vapor lines when you vent the trailer, only took me two times to learn stand away from the vapor line when venting you just never know.

Here in Florida when it gets hot outside you should never plug hoses after a gas drop as the internal pressure of the hose will send a plug some 30' in the air not to mention what it could do to your face if the two ever connected, its not so bad with ULSD however it is best to release the pressure before uncapping and make sure the hose is pointed away from anyone, treat it like a loaded gun.

Timberwolf
Hey Timberwolf

I just wondering when you messed up and spilled 10 gallon or made a mistake in general what did your company do? This is the only thing that make me nervous about fuel hauling is making A mistake or few mistakes..
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001 View Post
Hey Timberwolf

I just wondering when you messed up and spilled 10 gallon or made a mistake in general what did your company do? This is the only thing that make me nervous about fuel hauling is making A mistake or few mistakes..
I worked for Florida Rock when that happened, it was gasoline on a cement pad in the summer time, all I did was wipe it up with spill pads and let it evaporate, if it had been on an asphalt pad I would have reported it as gas and asphalt do not mix and you cant hide a spill like that, in this situation all that would have happened would have been loss of my safety bonus for the next quarter and a write up, a second offense would most likely result in termination. Most companies are not forgiving when it comes to spills especially the ones you don't report and then get caught on. with my current company I had a 40 gallons spill in the dead of night pumping ULSD off into a tank while my truck was parked in a dirt lot that was flooded from a rain storm, the drivers side seal of my pump t-bar went bad and was spewing product out into the wet lot, I was pumping off from the passenger side and didn't think to check the other outlet other then to see it was properly locked, however a bad seal will still leak, I reported it and lost my quarterly bonus.. **** happens you just need to be upfront about it and own your screw up, don't make excuses just own it..

Timberwolf