User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default fuel haulers

I was wondering I've seen most fuel hauler I see around NYC driving what looks like one or two year old trucks..
does anyone know if these Trucks are 10 speed 13 speed 18 speed or Auto-shift?

Also since they only use Day Cabs is there any Over night trips Ever?

Thanks in a Advance
Old 04-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001 View Post
I was wondering I've seen most fuel hauler I see around NYC driving what looks like one or two year old trucks..
does anyone know if these Trucks are 10 speed 13 speed 18 speed or Auto-shift?

Also since they only use Day Cabs is there any Over night trips Ever?

Thanks in a Advance
Transmissions vary from company to company, My company is based in Georgia with terminals in Orlando, Tampa, Augusta GA, Atlanta, Gainesville GA, Charlotte, NC, Chicago with more plans to continue growing. our fleet is mostly KW t600 day cabs with 10 speeds. The company changes them out every 4 to 5 years. Every once in a while we will do an overnight trip but not to often, I have travelled with my company to Louisiana and Texas to pull product for a few weeks at a time. Pulling fuel is an awesome job I could not see myself doing anything else. If your looking to work in NYC I would suggest talking with drivers about the company they work for, do some homework and you will find the answers you seek.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM

Thanks timberwolf

most of the drivers I talk to so far say there companies use 10 speeds and auto's for them no over nights.. I plan to apply in 3-4 weeks waiting on my TWIC and Hazmat approval.. I do have a 2 year old speeding ticket in my car no point on my license cause it past 18 month but DMV say 3 years before it gone from my record..

Do you know if that will matter if say I was applying where you work right now?

Just Curious

thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Rookie

I've hauled fuel for 30+ years on and off. Great job, keeps you home for the most part, unless you work for a company that does more long distance hauling. I've done both local terminal-to-gas-station work and overnight transport over the years. Either way, you load yourself 24/7 and deliver yourself 24/7 unless there's some specific reason why you couldn't.

As long as you're a patient person, you'll be fine. Sometimes there's obstacles like any other job such as waiting for product at the terminal, cars or vehicles blocking your fills, etc. but it sure beats having a produce receiving clerk tell you to come back tomorrow after driving 2-3 days to get there, lol.

Keep a clear head; don't cross-drop (contaminate) different products, NO SPILLS as that will get you fired quicker than anything.

Nothing like getting your work the night before, going out and doing it and going home at night to me. Some may disagree, but I personally have slept in a truck enough years that I still need my bed next to the wall to simulate the sleeper wall, it screwed me up!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks timberwolf

most of the drivers I talk to so far say there companies use 10 speeds and auto's for them no over nights.. I plan to apply in 3-4 weeks waiting on my TWIC and Hazmat approval.. I do have a 2 year old speeding ticket in my car no point on my license cause it past 18 month but DMV say 3 years before it gone from my record..

Do you know if that will matter if say I was applying where you work right now?

Just Curious

thanks
The ticket should not be a big deal, Just like Tommyz said the job is fairly easy as long as you are good at being repetitive. Do it the same way every time and you will be fine, you will find it you change your pattern once that is when you may make a mistake.. For some strange reason it just works that way in fuel.. I could not see myself doing anything else..
If you have any questions let me know I will be glad to help you out...

Timberwolf
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
The ticket should not be a big deal, Just like Tommyz said the job is fairly easy as long as you are good at being repetitive. Do it the same way every time and you will be fine, you will find it you change your pattern once that is when you may make a mistake.. For some strange reason it just works that way in fuel.. I could not see myself doing anything else..
If you have any questions let me know I will be glad to help you out...

Timberwolf

Exactly right...create a repetitive pattern, and don't deviate from it and you'll be fine. Ground cable First thing to go on...Last thing to come off; everything in between make it duplicatible. I found the only time I screwed up is when I broke my routine for a split second, like getting distracted and talking to someone, etc. I was so paranoid when I first started with gasoline and loading 3-4 different products on the same load, I used to draw a little picture of a tank with wheels, and write NL, MG, SUPER, LSD, #2OIL, etc. in each little compartment so I didn't mess up on the other end, LOL.

One guy even dumber than I was painted 5 wooden clothespins; white for unleaded, blue was midgrade, red was super...green #2 oil, yellow was diesel and soforth. He'd place the clothespins on the compartment discharge valves that had those products in them. Hey, whatever works...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM

Thanks alot guys

I saw a guy today on NJ turnpike off loading 4 products I didn't talk to him cause I didn't want to distract him I just watch for a few minutes from a distance as I got gas.. where are the hoses kept? I used to work for enterprise transportation I believe 5-6 months back in 08 I liked it a lot but could not stay on as a O/O just was not making enough to cover my cost and pay myself but I liked it a lot except dragging and connecting hoses off the rack.. I was always happy when the customer took care of it. when I look back at that experience now it would have worked out better if I signed on as a company driver.. oh well we live and learn or we are not living...

thanks for the information

Can wait to get back to pulling a tank
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks alot guys

I saw a guy today on NJ turnpike off loading 4 products I didn't talk to him cause I didn't want to distract him I just watch for a few minutes from a distance as I got gas.. where are the hoses kept? I used to work for enterprise transportation I believe 5-6 months back in 08 I liked it a lot but could not stay on as a O/O just was not making enough to cover my cost and pay myself but I liked it a lot except dragging and connecting hoses off the rack.. I was always happy when the customer took care of it. when I look back at that experience now it would have worked out better if I signed on as a company driver.. oh well we live and learn or we are not living...

thanks for the information

Can wait to get back to pulling a tank

Hoses are normally in the storage tubes on the side of the tank, or an open tray depending on the trailer mfg.'er.

It's inevidible that you'll have to drag a few hoses around. But petroleum hose is a lot lighter and more flexible than chemical hoses are for sure. The fittings you use are in a storage box as well. There's various fittings for gas and diesel...gas is a "coax fitting" with a 4" liquid hole and a 3" vapor recover hole. Diesel fitting is normally just a 4" elbow that snaps tightly onto the fill in the ground for a tight seal. If you do any pump work at all, there's a bit more to that as well. Most petroleum outfits have a product pump onboard to pump into storage tanks, so that's another part of the game too.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyZ View Post
Hoses are normally in the storage tubes on the side of the tank, or an open tray depending on the trailer mfg.'er.

It's inevidible that you'll have to drag a few hoses around. But petroleum hose is a lot lighter and more flexible than chemical hoses are for sure. The fittings you use are in a storage box as well. There's various fittings for gas and diesel...gas is a "coax fitting" with a 4" liquid hole and a 3" vapor recover hole. Diesel fitting is normally just a 4" elbow that snaps tightly onto the fill in the ground for a tight seal. If you do any pump work at all, there's a bit more to that as well. Most petroleum outfits have a product pump onboard to pump into storage tanks, so that's another part of the game too.
With Fuel do you have to wash out or have hoses cleaned? I did learn the chemical side pretty quick but it maybe cause I asked alot of question and write things down. I plan to do the same when I start with fuel.

when you started how long was the training part?

thanks for all the info
Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Rookie

NO, normally you never "clean" hoses...you simply run more product through. It's good etiquette to get some hose end plugs to decrease the residual drippage, keep ends clean, etc. when hauling fuel oils and diesel, because it tends to make a mess whereas gasoline evaporates fast and the hoses stay clean. If you unload the fuel/diesel first then the gas...you're all set, no need to worry about drippage then, providing you had both products on the same load of course.

As far as training is concerned...it's all in the individual, and you'd never want to rush your training along and not be completely 100% confident in your work. I've trained guys that just needed refreshing to guys that it took a couple days to get the hang of it, to guys that couldn't get it after a couple weeks and bailed out. The company (if they're a good one,) will let you train for as long as you need to if they're all about safety.

And just for the record, I have been at it since 1978 and I have soaked my shoes in gas for forgetting to hook the hose onto the discharge and opening the valve full-flow...(that's right,) and I have gotten a couple of baths in fuel oil for not watching what I was doing too. If you're half-smart, you only make those kind of mistakes ONCE...just so you know, it's OK to mess up, it takes a good man to cover it up. It takes a better man to make it look like it was supposed to happen that way...