User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Gemini Motor Transport

I see that Gemini is hiring here in Florida and Im considering a move to go work for them. Does anyone know much about their hiring procedures. I am actually an ex trucker and currently a firefighter. Ive driven vans, flatbeds and a short stint hauled gas. Always maintained my CDL and have tanker, doubles triples and hazmat endorsements. The environment in the fire service is so bad that Im considering going back to driving. Ideally I am hoping to find an outfit that would hire me part time to fill in when a driver cant work or needs time off. But under the circumstances I would consider a move completely out of the fire service.

I keep hearing Gemini is a good place to work and in central Florida there are not a lot of choices it seems. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinwise View Post
I see that Gemini is hiring here in Florida and Im considering a move to go work for them. Does anyone know much about their hiring procedures. I am actually an ex trucker and currently a firefighter. Ive driven vans, flatbeds and a short stint hauled gas. Always maintained my CDL and have tanker, doubles triples and hazmat endorsements. The environment in the fire service is so bad that Im considering going back to driving. Ideally I am hoping to find an outfit that would hire me part time to fill in when a driver cant work or needs time off. But under the circumstances I would consider a move completely out of the fire service.

I keep hearing Gemini is a good place to work and in central Florida there are not a lot of choices it seems. Any comments are appreciated.
I know several guys hat work for Gemini, (Loves Truck Stop) For the most part they are happy with the company and they do get paid fairly well.. About 90% of what they do is supply the Loves truck Stops, they also have a few extra loads to smaller outfits here and there. From what I know these guys are making at least 60 to 70 K each year. Depending on their home terminal. ( Trucks are parked at the Loves Truck stops) will depend on how far they are driving every day. I know a guy who is domiciled at Ormond Beach he used to load out of Orlando on a regular basis but now is loading out of Jacksonville and pulling to Brunswick GA Daily. they can easily cover 400 to 500 miles daily for $225 to $250 a day or more.. I applied with them a few years back with two present years of fuel experience and 1 ticket that was 8 years old at the time and was not hired, so I am not sure what chance you will have with no recent fuel experience, not to say they wont take a chance with you as there is a lot to be said about hiring a driver who has common sense but no experience with fuel as you can teach them your ways and hopefully they will follow.. At one time we were pulling Bio loads for Gemini to one of their truck stops in Florida but that stopped quickly when they realized they could have their drivers do it for $57 less then what we got paid to do it, this was a load from Tampa to Fort Pierce. As I said their drivers are well compensated and have a great benefit packageso if you can get hired on I would go for it....

Good Luck

Timberwolf
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing good things about this company. I took a ride over to the Ormond Beach Loves and saw that they only have 2 trucks there. So that means 4 driver spots at best. Im guessing with all the good things I hear and the fact that there are not many spots to being with driving for Gemini would be a longshot, at least in Ormond Beach..lol. Thanks again for the info. Ill keep searching as for now it looks like the best bet for decent paying local jobs is gas hauling so IM hoping to get a foot in the door somewhere and learn the business.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinwise View Post
Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing good things about this company. I took a ride over to the Ormond Beach Loves and saw that they only have 2 trucks there. So that means 4 driver spots at best. Im guessing with all the good things I hear and the fact that there are not many spots to being with driving for Gemini would be a longshot, at least in Ormond Beach..lol. Thanks again for the info. Ill keep searching as for now it looks like the best bet for decent paying local jobs is gas hauling so IM hoping to get a foot in the door somewhere and learn the business.
Where do you live? I know here in Orlando you may be able to get on with either Pipeline or Eagle both companies should be looking to hire, pretty quick as they are getting ready to take on 30 new Circle K stores in the Orlando Market which means more drivers. Pipeline has the main delivery contract from what I have been told, as it stands right now they only have minimal business in the Central Florida market so these companies will increase their loads by at least 15 to 25 per day if not more in the orlando market. My understanding is Eagle will be the secondary carrier for thses stores.. Pipeline would be the best option to hire onto not sure about their pay scale, however i do know Eagle is low on the pay scale and driver loads flucuate along with a demnding schedule, but if you can hang for a year or longer it will get you experience and then you can network with drivers on the rack to move upward and onward.. That is how I did things, Started with Florida Rock in May of 08, got just under two years with them and moved on to Mansfield Oil in March of 2010, best move of my life and will most likely work for this compnany until retirement.. It just depends on how badly you want to get into fuel, it is a great job with the right company however it can be stressful pulling explosive flamable mterial behind you if you do not feel as if you are being treated right, that tends to mess with a drivers mind and attitude...

Good luck..

Timberwolf
Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Rookie

I live in the Daytona area. The commute to Orlando is not that bad so thats doable. Ive looked into Eagle but never heard of Pipeline. Ill do some internet research tonight. I was hoping to find a place that would like a fill in driver but like I said I could be lured away from the fire service if I find decent pay and benefits. Thanks again for the info. Im not too worried about hauling hazardous materials. Right now I deal with them when bad things happen so hauling them would actually be the kinder gentle side of haz mat...lol
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Rookie

One of my friends works for Gemini, and he is happy working for them. Good pay, decent job. I think he makes around 70K a year, so that’s good enough. All the best to you..
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Board Regular

look into Eagle now as this last week the Orlando yard has 3 openings as 3 drivers got caught red handed stealing fuel from the trucks on the yard... Dumbass drivers it is not worth it it...

Timberwolf
Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Board Regular

How did you make out crackinwise? I relocated myself recently and have had a couple of offers from other private owned companies but wanted to go with Gemini. I applied and meet all the requirements but never heard back. Their website still shows they are hiring in Ormand Beach. I try to call them to follow up but can't even get a return call. WTF? Hope it's working out for you
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper View Post
How did you make out crackinwise? I relocated myself recently and have had a couple of offers from other private owned companies but wanted to go with Gemini. I applied and meet all the requirements but never heard back. Their website still shows they are hiring in Ormand Beach. I try to call them to follow up but can't even get a return call. WTF? Hope it's working out for you
Hey Harleypiper, not sure where you are living, however if you can make the commute to Orlando check out Coraluzzo Transport. Samuel Coraluzzo Co., Inc. & Torrissi Transport They came here about a year ago to pull fuel for the Wawa stores that have hit Central Florida market like a bang, they also have their hands in quite a bit of other stops. They have two terminals as we do one in Orlando and one in Tampa for the most part trucks marked with the Coraluzzo name pull central Florida / east coast area, Trucks marked with the name Torrissi pull the Tampa /west coast market. I have been told the drivers start at $18 an hour with experience, however there is also word on the rack that if the current drivers don't pick it up the company is going to change over to a percentage pay by the load. Typical hourly mentality go slow and make more money but in this business it is about doing the job as safe as possible and as quickly as possible, so it is just a matter of time before they change the way they pay drivers.

As far as other companies to look at there is Energy Dispatch they pull Race Tracks, pay is in the high 50's to 60's higher for some, however they fire at the drop of a hat ppl who they don't think fit the mold.

Eagle and Florida Rock are good starter companies that's it, the pay sucks and the work schedule is demanding.

On the east coast you also have Pilot/ Flying J running up and down I-95 along with the Loves guys both great jobs to have, its just a matter of getting hired on.

Last but not least my company ( Mansfield Oil ) Can't say enough good things about these guys, they kick Ass, as with all jobs things have changed a bit, which just requires that you roll with the changes it happens everywhere. We were looking for a driver this past week, I am not sure if they found one or not, however if you are interested give me some more details about yourself and we can go from there.

Are you working now?

Timberwolf
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Board Regular

Hey Wolf, thanks for all that information.. No not working yet. Only got here a couple of weeks ago however have put several apps. out with only 1 response for a interview and that was with Praxair. I did apply to loves and energy dispatch and can't even get a return call from recruiter for a follow up. I don't mind a commute for a bit, but would probably find a apt. somewhere for the week then come back for weekends but my soon to be other 1/2 is in Orlando so eventually I might end up there.
I did look into Mansfield last week after reading your response, they sure have it together. Do they have a hiring area? I'm a good 100 miles from there but again if the price is right, I can live in a small apt, crap lived in a truck for a spell..
I have been talking to JD Haul, and was looking real good, called they managers cell phone as he requested to set up appointment, I left a message and that was last Monday.. Amazing in this communication world how no one communicates.. I do see Fl. Rock running around, I heard they run pretty hard.. Maybe I'll drop a app. to Mansfield and see how it goes..