User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dont the Belly Dumps and Side Dumps stop running once the winter weather gets going pretty good?, Or are things a little different in the oil patch?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Hi Justruckin... you are a wealth of information... and I enjoy reading your threads. I have a question for you. Which company in Williston would you say is the top "crude oil hauling" company to work for? (In terms of pay, hours with lots of overtime, benefits and equipment.) I'm going to be coming out there in March 2013... and don't have any trucking experience... but I have my Class A CDL with HAZMAT, Tanker, Doubles/Triples. I'm going to buy a house there... I'm just not sure which city to buy in. All I want to do is make a career of hauling crude oil... where would be the best place to start and where would be the best place to work after getting some experience under my belt?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Board Regular

This just posted today to CL... I have no clue if they have housing, call and ask. And don't worry about the pay... I started at $20 an hour up here and now am up at $35 an hour.

Looking for individual with 2 years driving experience off road experience a must. You would be pulling a belly dump hauling rock products for oil pads, roads ect.
Some mechanical knowledge of trucks would be helpful. keeping interior of truck clean. keeping pretrip log, load sheets for lease company. Report problems with the truck so they can be taken care of as soon as possible.

contact Michelle at 360-470-3379 if honestly interested
Compensation: $20.00 per hour , plus extra if keep truck in running order and out of the shop.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Phone calls about this job are ok.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 3092832996

Copyright © 2012 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Last edited by Justruckin; 06-21-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJ View Post
Dont the Belly Dumps and Side Dumps stop running once the winter weather gets going pretty good?, Or are things a little different in the oil patch?
Some do, but not all. It is still early enough in the season though for someone to get up here and get working. And that is the key to success up here, BEING HERE. You will have time to look around for other work if you do land in a more seasonal position. Or, you may want to work the summers up here and head South for the winter months and work in the oil patch down in Western Texas and or Eastern New Mexico, where there is another oil boom going right now.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
Hi Justruckin... you are a wealth of information... and I enjoy reading your threads. I have a question for you. Which company in Williston would you say is the top "crude oil hauling" company to work for? (In terms of pay, hours with lots of overtime, benefits and equipment.) I'm going to be coming out there in March 2013... and don't have any trucking experience... but I have my Class A CDL with HAZMAT, Tanker, Doubles/Triples. I'm going to buy a house there... I'm just not sure which city to buy in. All I want to do is make a career of hauling crude oil... where would be the best place to start and where would be the best place to work after getting some experience under my belt?
There are quite a few companies in Williston all the way out to Minot and back towards Watford, but I would say the most stable is Plains Marketing. It all depends on what they have to offer and what your needs are, things like housing. I prefer the smaller outfits, but you are always taking a chance with them. It only takes one bad driver to lose a contract and the entire company is out of work. What you need to do is land a job with an outfit up here and just get here, as there are many opportunities here with many trucking companies. As far as buying property up here, it is VERY expensive. I know of small 2 and 3 bedroom ranches on slabs going for half a million in the middle of nowhere BFE, mobile homes in mobile home parks, along with houses, rent between $3,500 and $6,000 a month, to rich for my blood. I would not consider moving here, find an employer with housing and bank your cash for a house elsewhere.

For one thing, the crude hauling jobs will be gone from here one day as they are putting pipelines in as fast as the wells are going in. Not saying work is going to dry up any time soon, which it is not, just saying long term there will be fewer opportunities up here as automation and pipelines will rule the day here.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
There are quite a few companies in Williston all the way out to Minot and back towards Watford, but I would say the most stable is Plains Marketing. It all depends on what they have to offer and what your needs are, things like housing. I prefer the smaller outfits, but you are always taking a chance with them. It only takes one bad driver to lose a contract and the entire company is out of work. What you need to do is land a job with an outfit up here and just get here, as there are many opportunities here with many trucking companies. As far as buying property up here, it is VERY expensive. I know of small 2 and 3 bedroom ranches on slabs going for half a million in the middle of nowhere BFE, mobile homes in mobile home parks, along with houses, rent between $3,500 and $6,000 a month, to rich for my blood. I would not consider moving here, find an employer with housing and bank your cash for a house elsewhere.

For one thing, the crude hauling jobs will be gone from here one day as they are putting pipelines in as fast as the wells are going in. Not saying work is going to dry up any time soon, which it is not, just saying long term there will be fewer opportunities up here as automation and pipelines will rule the day here.
You got that one pretty much full throttle. Plains is the most stable, day to day. However, you failed to let the writer know that with no driving experience, he has zero chance with a job at Plains. Especially in NoDak. As for the crude hauling jobs going away? Your foot slipped off that throttle. That job will always depend on whom is buying the oil. The purchaser is whom decides as to whether or not the oil gets pushed into a field system through the location LACT unit. There will always be a need for trucks to haul crude (therefore drivers)....just not as many as there are right now.

And the rent pricing is simply petulance and greed.......maybe it can even be considered out right theft.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
You got that one pretty much full throttle. Plains is the most stable, day to day. However, you failed to let the writer know that with no driving experience, he has zero chance with a job at Plains. Especially in NoDak. As for the crude hauling jobs going away? Your foot slipped off that throttle. That job will always depend on whom is buying the oil. The purchaser is whom decides as to whether or not the oil gets pushed into a field system through the location LACT unit. There will always be a need for trucks to haul crude (therefore drivers)....just not as many as there are right now.

And the rent pricing is simply petulance and greed.......maybe it can even be considered out right theft.
I agree with what you have said above, didn't get to finish up on my end and get to the experience part... I was still trying to wrap my head around someone wanting to buy a house up here when my roomy walked in from work. We have a few guys that brought their wives up, they pay $500 a month rent in a company trailer for that privilege (no BF/GF, married couples only).

I don't think I could bring my wife up here, much less go into that much debt to own property here. Maybe something in Fargo or over on the MN or Wisconsin side off the Amtrak line would work, but not out here. Because one day, much of this will be done and over with. The company I am with is looking at a good ten to fifteen year run on the gas side, I hope they are correct. But gas is so cheap now they are practically giving it away, .25 a gallon for propane. We are running out of places to get rid of it and or even store it, it is everywhere and shows no signs of ever slowing down. We, the USA, could supply the entire world with natural gas, we have that much under the ground.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info... I'm glad I asked. So as far as having no truck driving experience... what "kind" of trucking would be my best bet on getting a lot of overtime and a company that might consider training a newbie like me. Just want to make the most of what I'm doing. Any companies you can steer me too... to apply?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
Thanks for the info... I'm glad I asked. So as far as having no truck driving experience... what "kind" of trucking would be my best bet on getting a lot of overtime and a company that might consider training a newbie like me. Just want to make the most of what I'm doing. Any companies you can steer me too... to apply?
I don't know of any up here in the patch. You need some experience driving, winter driving too. As far as who to sign on with, hopefully an outfit that will train you properly. Which company I have no idea.

Or, I don't know how old you are, but you can go to work for one of the fracking outfits up here, in many cases they will train you to drive. Call Mile High Employment in Denver, they hire for Baker Hughes. Also google "The Shopper" in Williston ND, that is where Sanjel and Halliburton advertise for equipment operators. These outfits were training guys and looks good on a resume.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Yes, I'm very interested in coming to ND. As for bf/gf..I want to come before winter starts..Her is trying to take care of his ex wife.. she is terminal and he doesn't want to get up there and them have to leave because she passed.. she doesn't have any other family.. yes gravel sounds like a good idea for me..I will call Michelle as soon as I get back home... thank you for your help and concern!