User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Torture,

You need tanker and doubles/triples, and yes the tankers are baffled. You can haul water, frac sand and gravel... But, the good money is in the crude and gas side. If you tell an employer that you will not haul crude or other hazmat, they more than likely will not hire you, as most companies up here do a bit of everything. And no milk up here, you may want to keep an eye out for a hot shot job (pick up truck) pulling a flat bed, they "may" hire you. Give Waggoners in Williston a call, they do hot shot work up here and have housing. Jayda does the hiring, (701) 572-1402

Last edited by Justruckin; 06-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks. I do have doubles endorsment. Why would i need it?

With tankers, isn't there alot of water being hauled due to "fracking" (sp?). Can you give an example of "good money" if hauling fuel/hazmat in a tanker vs. just water in a tanker. I don't really want to haul hazmat in a tanker as i feel it's too dangerous.

Can you tell me a little more about hotshotting work? Is the a company position or would you need your own pickup?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Board Regular

Torture,

Many companies haul doubles up here, no triples.

Water hauling jobs are plentiful up here, starting pay for water is $20 an hour, with time and a half after 40 hours. How many hours you will get a week is anyone's guess as there is an over abundance of companies hauling water up here. Now the crude hauling can be very steady work, starting pay varies from $27 w/OT up to $35 straight time. The crude guys in my company bump 100 hrs a week.

As far as "dangerous", I've seen more guys injured hauling water, I would much rather haul crude or gas. The water trailers use pumps, and they build pressure fast. If you don't pay attention they will bite you. Ever get smacked in the mouth or head with a 4 inch chunk of metal? I feel much safer hauling crude or propane, and it is much easier than water. With water you may also haul production water, flo-back water and drain pits. All of these have oil and gas in them, though they are not classified as hazardous.

The hotshot work mainly consists of hauling well casings and parts to and from well sites or shops/yards in the oil patch. They load and unload, you strap it down. Most HS flats up here are 40 footers. Pretty simple work, normal pay is around $20-25 an hour to start.

It doesn't sound like you have been in the industry very long. If you come up here timid, you will get chewed up and spat out pretty quick. Guys that are afraid or refuse to do certain jobs don't last very long up here. You need to be prepared for everything your employer will throw at you.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Rookie

I have been driving for 5+yrs.I have cal-A with all endorsements. Is there work for women and housing there? My boyfriend wants to come up there together but he can't come for at least another month.. He thinks I should come now and he will follow..
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Board Regular

CLS,

Yes, companies will hire women. I don't know of any that last very long up here though, long hours and can be physical at times. The fill hoses we use are roughly 100 lbs that we attach to our trailers to load. Then we have the winter months and the tire chains... If your serious about coming up here contact Power Fuels, they have a fair share of women working there along with possible housing. Also look into hauling gravel, most of those outfits will hire women, as the work is not physical and they primarily run daylight hours. S&S out of Watford would be a good start. Also google "The Shopper" in Williston ND, they have a good classified section with most of the reputable outfits up here advertising for workers. You may want to call some of the staffing agencies in Minot and fax them an application too.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Can you make any money hauling gravel?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Board Regular

Yes, better than water. Look for a post I made a page or two back... Root Construction, Cartwright ND, I posted their number, find it and give them a call. Also look up S&S in Watford that I mentioned. And Craig's List, search the entire state of ND under transportation. That is how I found my current 6 figure a year + job.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Thank you for your help!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Rookie

Are there any positions still available? Is haz mat required? Do you hire women drivers? What about teams?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls185 View Post
Are there any positions still available? Is haz mat required? Do you hire women drivers? What about teams?
Where I am, yes we hire women. Currently we are not hiring, we just hired three new drivers and have two in the wings, for a total of five new hires in the past two weeks. Post an email and I'll contact you. And you need to come up here with all of your endorsements, HM, tanker, doubles/triples. Don't think of coming without them, as you will just be hurting yourselves. And, you better be ready to do some work. The hoses we use daily run about 100 lbs each. That is why I suggested gravel, you sit in the truck and flip a switch, you don't even have to get out. Most women up here are working in that field, and the companies like to hire women because they are normally easier on the equipment than the super truckers we have up here roaming the countryside.

Also look at hauling sand, almost the same gig as gravel, many women doing that up here.

Also, the boyfriend girlfriend thing... Not to be a prude, but that may hurt your chances of getting hired. Married couples are accommodated for up here, but the bf/gf thing I don't know about, most outfits are leery of the potential for drama and other issues that may arise. ND can be a very stressful place to live and work, it is not for everyone. I say that because I don't understand why your bf wants to send you into this meat grinder ahead of him?

Mike