Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: North Dakota Driving Jobs

Justruckin is offline Board Regular

Torture,

You need tanker and doubles/triples, and yes the tankers are baffled. You can haul water, frac sand and gravel... But, the good money is in the crude and gas side. If you tell an employer that you will not haul crude or other hazmat, they more than likely will not hire you, as most companies up here do a bit of everything. And no milk up here, you may want to keep an eye out for a hot shot job (pick up truck) pulling a flat bed, they "may" hire you. Give Waggoners in Williston a call, they do hot shot work up here and have housing. Jayda does the hiring, (701) 572-1402
    Last edited by Justruckin; 06-17-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks. I do have doubles endorsment. Why would i need it?

With tankers, isn't there alot of water being hauled due to "fracking" (sp?). Can you give an example of "good money" if hauling fuel/hazmat in a tanker vs. just water in a tanker. I don't really want to haul hazmat in a tanker as i feel it's too dangerous.

Can you tell me a little more about hotshotting work? Is the a company position or would you need your own pickup?

Torture,

Many companies haul doubles up here, no triples.

Water hauling jobs are plentiful up here, starting pay for water is $20 an hour, with time and a half after 40 hours. How many hours you will get a week is anyone's guess as there is an over abundance of companies hauling water up here. Now the crude hauling can be very steady work, starting pay varies from $27 w/OT up to $35 straight time. The crude guys in my company bump 100 hrs a week.

As far as "dangerous", I've seen more guys injured hauling water, I would much rather haul crude or gas. The water trailers use pumps, and they build pressure fast. If you don't pay attention they will bite you. Ever get smacked in the mouth or head with a 4 inch chunk of metal? I feel much safer hauling crude or propane, and it is much easier than water. With water you may also haul production water, flo-back water and drain pits. All of these have oil and gas in them, though they are not classified as hazardous.

The hotshot work mainly consists of hauling well casings and parts to and from well sites or shops/yards in the oil patch. They load and unload, you strap it down. Most HS flats up here are 40 footers. Pretty simple work, normal pay is around $20-25 an hour to start.

It doesn't sound like you have been in the industry very long. If you come up here timid, you will get chewed up and spat out pretty quick. Guys that are afraid or refuse to do certain jobs don't last very long up here. You need to be prepared for everything your employer will throw at you.

cls185 is offline Rookie

I have been driving for 5+yrs.I have cal-A with all endorsements. Is there work for women and housing there? My boyfriend wants to come up there together but he can't come for at least another month.. He thinks I should come now and he will follow..

CLS,

Yes, companies will hire women. I don't know of any that last very long up here though, long hours and can be physical at times. The fill hoses we use are roughly 100 lbs that we attach to our trailers to load. Then we have the winter months and the tire chains... If your serious about coming up here contact Power Fuels, they have a fair share of women working there along with possible housing. Also look into hauling gravel, most of those outfits will hire women, as the work is not physical and they primarily run daylight hours. S&S out of Watford would be a good start. Also google "The Shopper" in Williston ND, they have a good classified section with most of the reputable outfits up here advertising for workers. You may want to call some of the staffing agencies in Minot and fax them an application too.

cls185 is offline Rookie

Can you make any money hauling gravel?

Yes, better than water. Look for a post I made a page or two back... Root Construction, Cartwright ND, I posted their number, find it and give them a call. Also look up S&S in Watford that I mentioned. And Craig's List, search the entire state of ND under transportation. That is how I found my current 6 figure a year + job.

cls185 is offline Rookie

Thank you for your help!

cls185 is offline Rookie

Are there any positions still available? Is haz mat required? Do you hire women drivers? What about teams?

Quote Originally Posted by cls185 View Post
    Are there any positions still available? Is haz mat required? Do you hire women drivers? What about teams?
    Where I am, yes we hire women. Currently we are not hiring, we just hired three new drivers and have two in the wings, for a total of five new hires in the past two weeks. Post an email and I'll contact you. And you need to come up here with all of your endorsements, HM, tanker, doubles/triples. Don't think of coming without them, as you will just be hurting yourselves. And, you better be ready to do some work. The hoses we use daily run about 100 lbs each. That is why I suggested gravel, you sit in the truck and flip a switch, you don't even have to get out. Most women up here are working in that field, and the companies like to hire women because they are normally easier on the equipment than the super truckers we have up here roaming the countryside.

Also look at hauling sand, almost the same gig as gravel, many women doing that up here.

Also, the boyfriend girlfriend thing... Not to be a prude, but that may hurt your chances of getting hired. Married couples are accommodated for up here, but the bf/gf thing I don't know about, most outfits are leery of the potential for drama and other issues that may arise. ND can be a very stressful place to live and work, it is not for everyone. I say that because I don't understand why your bf wants to send you into this meat grinder ahead of him?

Mike

DriverJ is offline Rookie

Dont the Belly Dumps and Side Dumps stop running once the winter weather gets going pretty good?, Or are things a little different in the oil patch?

David1471 is offline Rookie

Hi Justruckin... you are a wealth of information... and I enjoy reading your threads. I have a question for you. Which company in Williston would you say is the top "crude oil hauling" company to work for? (In terms of pay, hours with lots of overtime, benefits and equipment.) I'm going to be coming out there in March 2013... and don't have any trucking experience... but I have my Class A CDL with HAZMAT, Tanker, Doubles/Triples. I'm going to buy a house there... I'm just not sure which city to buy in. All I want to do is make a career of hauling crude oil... where would be the best place to start and where would be the best place to work after getting some experience under my belt?

This just posted today to CL... I have no clue if they have housing, call and ask. And don't worry about the pay... I started at $20 an hour up here and now am up at $35 an hour.

Looking for individual with 2 years driving experience off road experience a must. You would be pulling a belly dump hauling rock products for oil pads, roads ect.
    Some mechanical knowledge of trucks would be helpful. keeping interior of truck clean. keeping pretrip log, load sheets for lease company. Report problems with the truck so they can be taken care of as soon as possible.

contact Michelle at 360-470-3379 if honestly interested
    Compensation: $20.00 per hour , plus extra if keep truck in running order and out of the shop.
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Phone calls about this job are ok.
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
    PostingID: 3092832996

Copyright 2012 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum
    Last edited by Justruckin; 06-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DriverJ View Post
    Dont the Belly Dumps and Side Dumps stop running once the winter weather gets going pretty good?, Or are things a little different in the oil patch?
    Some do, but not all. It is still early enough in the season though for someone to get up here and get working. And that is the key to success up here, BEING HERE. You will have time to look around for other work if you do land in a more seasonal position. Or, you may want to work the summers up here and head South for the winter months and work in the oil patch down in Western Texas and or Eastern New Mexico, where there is another oil boom going right now.

Quote Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
    Hi Justruckin... you are a wealth of information... and I enjoy reading your threads. I have a question for you. Which company in Williston would you say is the top "crude oil hauling" company to work for? (In terms of pay, hours with lots of overtime, benefits and equipment.) I'm going to be coming out there in March 2013... and don't have any trucking experience... but I have my Class A CDL with HAZMAT, Tanker, Doubles/Triples. I'm going to buy a house there... I'm just not sure which city to buy in. All I want to do is make a career of hauling crude oil... where would be the best place to start and where would be the best place to work after getting some experience under my belt?
    There are quite a few companies in Williston all the way out to Minot and back towards Watford, but I would say the most stable is Plains Marketing. It all depends on what they have to offer and what your needs are, things like housing. I prefer the smaller outfits, but you are always taking a chance with them. It only takes one bad driver to lose a contract and the entire company is out of work. What you need to do is land a job with an outfit up here and just get here, as there are many opportunities here with many trucking companies. As far as buying property up here, it is VERY expensive. I know of small 2 and 3 bedroom ranches on slabs going for half a million in the middle of nowhere BFE, mobile homes in mobile home parks, along with houses, rent between $3,500 and $6,000 a month, to rich for my blood. I would not consider moving here, find an employer with housing and bank your cash for a house elsewhere.

For one thing, the crude hauling jobs will be gone from here one day as they are putting pipelines in as fast as the wells are going in. Not saying work is going to dry up any time soon, which it is not, just saying long term there will be fewer opportunities up here as automation and pipelines will rule the day here.

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
    There are quite a few companies in Williston all the way out to Minot and back towards Watford, but I would say the most stable is Plains Marketing. It all depends on what they have to offer and what your needs are, things like housing. I prefer the smaller outfits, but you are always taking a chance with them. It only takes one bad driver to lose a contract and the entire company is out of work. What you need to do is land a job with an outfit up here and just get here, as there are many opportunities here with many trucking companies. As far as buying property up here, it is VERY expensive. I know of small 2 and 3 bedroom ranches on slabs going for half a million in the middle of nowhere BFE, mobile homes in mobile home parks, along with houses, rent between $3,500 and $6,000 a month, to rich for my blood. I would not consider moving here, find an employer with housing and bank your cash for a house elsewhere.

For one thing, the crude hauling jobs will be gone from here one day as they are putting pipelines in as fast as the wells are going in. Not saying work is going to dry up any time soon, which it is not, just saying long term there will be fewer opportunities up here as automation and pipelines will rule the day here.
    You got that one pretty much full throttle. Plains is the most stable, day to day. However, you failed to let the writer know that with no driving experience, he has zero chance with a job at Plains. Especially in NoDak. As for the crude hauling jobs going away? Your foot slipped off that throttle. That job will always depend on whom is buying the oil. The purchaser is whom decides as to whether or not the oil gets pushed into a field system through the location LACT unit. There will always be a need for trucks to haul crude (therefore drivers)....just not as many as there are right now.

And the rent pricing is simply petulance and greed.......maybe it can even be considered out right theft.
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
    You got that one pretty much full throttle. Plains is the most stable, day to day. However, you failed to let the writer know that with no driving experience, he has zero chance with a job at Plains. Especially in NoDak. As for the crude hauling jobs going away? Your foot slipped off that throttle. That job will always depend on whom is buying the oil. The purchaser is whom decides as to whether or not the oil gets pushed into a field system through the location LACT unit. There will always be a need for trucks to haul crude (therefore drivers)....just not as many as there are right now.

And the rent pricing is simply petulance and greed.......maybe it can even be considered out right theft.
    I agree with what you have said above, didn't get to finish up on my end and get to the experience part... I was still trying to wrap my head around someone wanting to buy a house up here when my roomy walked in from work. We have a few guys that brought their wives up, they pay $500 a month rent in a company trailer for that privilege (no BF/GF, married couples only).

I don't think I could bring my wife up here, much less go into that much debt to own property here. Maybe something in Fargo or over on the MN or Wisconsin side off the Amtrak line would work, but not out here. Because one day, much of this will be done and over with. The company I am with is looking at a good ten to fifteen year run on the gas side, I hope they are correct. But gas is so cheap now they are practically giving it away, .25 a gallon for propane. We are running out of places to get rid of it and or even store it, it is everywhere and shows no signs of ever slowing down. We, the USA, could supply the entire world with natural gas, we have that much under the ground.

David1471 is offline Rookie

Thanks for the info... I'm glad I asked. So as far as having no truck driving experience... what "kind" of trucking would be my best bet on getting a lot of overtime and a company that might consider training a newbie like me. Just want to make the most of what I'm doing. Any companies you can steer me too... to apply?

Quote Originally Posted by David1471 View Post
    Thanks for the info... I'm glad I asked. So as far as having no truck driving experience... what "kind" of trucking would be my best bet on getting a lot of overtime and a company that might consider training a newbie like me. Just want to make the most of what I'm doing. Any companies you can steer me too... to apply?
    I don't know of any up here in the patch. You need some experience driving, winter driving too. As far as who to sign on with, hopefully an outfit that will train you properly. Which company I have no idea.

Or, I don't know how old you are, but you can go to work for one of the fracking outfits up here, in many cases they will train you to drive. Call Mile High Employment in Denver, they hire for Baker Hughes. Also google "The Shopper" in Williston ND, that is where Sanjel and Halliburton advertise for equipment operators. These outfits were training guys and looks good on a resume.

cls185 is offline Rookie

Yes, I'm very interested in coming to ND. As for bf/gf..I want to come before winter starts..Her is trying to take care of his ex wife.. she is terminal and he doesn't want to get up there and them have to leave because she passed.. she doesn't have any other family.. yes gravel sounds like a good idea for me..I will call Michelle as soon as I get back home... thank you for your help and concern!

22. This ad will disappear if you login