User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 View Post
So there's an apparent driver shortage. Now all of a sudden I noticed most of these companies on Craigslist are REQUIRING 5 years experience. What gives? That's a quarter to half of most drivers driving careers. Upping the criteria narrows the amount of drivers that are actually qualified, not to mention the small amount of drivers who actually want to move to north Dakota during mid-winter. Any thoughts...?
CHIT! I shoulda retired years ago! Crap.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Rookie

Anybody else? Haha besides the guy that's been driving since I was in diapers?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Rookie

So justruckin, I understand 100 hrs a week but do you get home on the weekends? And can you give me the contact info with and name of someone to talk with. Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Rookie

Well you know what they say, If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. If he snow and winter driving scares you , then you sure as hell need to stay away from an area that has it. I have almost 30 yrs and I live 48 miles south of Buffalo NY and I pull two 48ft thruway doubles. And yes in the winter time as well.....love it
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Rookie
Default Going to ND in a few weeks, or sooner.

I appreciate all of the responses in this thread, the good and the ugly! I have made my mind up to go to ND and get my feet wet in the oil fields driving something up there. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I will be getting my tanker endorsement this week and maybe my hazmat, but from what I can see water haulers make a large amount of money too, but the hazmat drivers make more for sure. And also, the jobs that are available do not pay the same as similar jobs in Texas, at least not for drivers with no oil field experience. On average the jobs in texas are paying $17 - $19 ( I have also seen a job or 2 that listed $16 per hour there) per hour and the overtime is not as much as the jobs in ND. The jobs in ND are paying no less than $20 and as much as $35 an hour from the jobs I have seen posted. The companies there also all but guarantee 70 hours at least per week. There are some there that pay over time after 40 hours, but most of the jobs that offer $25 or more per hour offer straight time only, which is still excellent money in my opinion.

Now I understand that experienced oil field drivers can make upwards of $22+ per hour in Texas. But, the magical word is "experienced". With that being said, ND is the place to be for folks who have never worked in the oil business before and maybe Texas would be a choice once the experience matches the pay. But as far as I am concerned, the difference between $65k per year and $80k - $100k per year is enough to sway me not to start my oil career in Texas. Once I get my experience I may look into going to drive in Texas if the money is right.

I am going to video document my trip to ND and narrate my experiences there as much as I can. I will post a separate thread once I get the videos going. It may be a few weeks before I go.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Rookie

New to this Forum, joined today, writing from Upper michigan, about 11 hrs east of Williston. looking for some info and you all seem to pretty informative, I am looking at coming to Williston in April and spend a week pounding different companies for work, my situation is I have had a class B CDL for 26 yrs and have been driving non class A vehicles since, I currently work for our local Road Commission, been doing that for 5 yrs. every winter and hoping for a full time position as the municipal job would be nice, pension plan and what not. BUT, they are going to keep pulling the same crap every winter. PART-TIME only!!! I am going to update my CDL to class A with the tanker endorsement, if I am standing on some of these companies doorsteps, would they give a guy a shot??? I am looking at staying there for years on end for that kind of $$$. Will they train a guy who has not beed driving combination vehicles??? any info would be helpful??/ Thanks, Michigan snowfighter
Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Lights out, I work in N-D for a year, Company Iowa Tank Lines, Please give a call at 248-703-4441 I would yo talk to u about Power Fuels Tks
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Just-truckin, Please give me a call 248-703-4441 I have Q for U. Tks
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Light-Out, Call me 248-703-4441 Tks
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Rookie

hey eclipseman, are u an owner op? Is Iowa tank a good company to work for? I have them on my short list but cant find out anything about them. Then again u r asking bout power fuels. I used to work with a guy that i heard went there, but don't know if hes still there. The guy that told me about itl also said that theres favortism and if you don;t get in on it, your screwed. he said a LOT of things about them, but it all sounded like a lot of gossip, and he dont work there, so how does he know. It sounded like he wanted me to stay out, but I don't know why. Can u give me the low down? appreciate any help, condor