User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJ View Post
Whats shakken in the Bakken?? I see the Grass roots Org. from PA was out that way a week ago. Hows the the water and air doing up there? And Hows the fishing doing?
Well, the water and air are still rated as some of the cleanest in the nation... We did have some fog this morning, and I am running a water softener? Don't know what much more to say... And don't have a fishing pole, but seeing as I now live on the bank of the Yellowstone River, I should probably go out and get one.

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Rookie

Mike, Am currently an otr. truck driver, 1 yr exp. clean. Ready to take it to the next level. Have researched info you've provided. Good stuff. Not interested in working for o'o. looking to get on w/ ligit outfit. Have made contact w/ a co. you talked about. In process of getting tanker hazmat endorse. don't get home often. plan on having ducks in a row by JUNE. can you confirm if the summer months are a good time to explore opportunities up there. Am a former Marine, always looking for a challenge. Chris
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Board Regular

creeds,

Come on up! Yes the summer time is fine up here, both for weather and work. The big hiring push is ramping up right now, and as I have said before, get up here and get working. It took me almost a year to find the current outfit I am with now, one that is a good fit for me personally. Some guys hit it right off the bat, others are like me and it may take awhile. The main thing is, that you need to be here.

Oh, Semper Fi... From a US Navy Corpsman.

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Board Regular
Default Here is an outfit that is hiring as of a few days ago...

Root Construction, they are right around the corner from me. They do heavy haul to well/rig sites and gravel. I do not know if they have housing, but they have RV spots at their yard, along with an onsite shop and mechanics for their trucks, a huge plus up here, as mechanics are in short supply along with shops.

They also have ads running for belly and side dump operators, you do not need hazmat, tanker or doubles and triples with these guys as far as I know.

Here is their CraigsList ad:

Looking for an experienced heavy haul lowboy driver. Needed ASAP. 5 years of driving experienced is preferred. Must be reliable and drug-free. Please come and fill out an application in our Cartwright, ND office.

Root Construction Inc.
Office Phone : 701-744-9071
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Rookie

Outstanding Mike, thx 4 your service & support. Oh rah ! Sounds like you know alot of what's goin on up there.. you don't mind my ask'n, how long you been up . So why aren't people lined up for jobs up there, seems like w/ the job market folks would get motivated to get working ? Where's the American spirit. Huh.. Thx again, Semper fI.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeds View Post
Outstanding Mike, thx 4 your service & support. Oh rah ! Sounds like you know alot of what's goin on up there.. you don't mind my ask'n, how long you been up . So why aren't people lined up for jobs up there, seems like w/ the job market folks would get motivated to get working ? Where's the American spirit. Huh.. Thx again, Semper fI.
Been up here for a year now, third job that finally suits me nicely. Worked all over central and western ND into western MT. Lived in Minot, Dickinson, Alexander and now in Cartwright on the Yellowstone river working out of Fairview MT.

Why no line for these jobs? Well, being from Michigan, and knowing more than a few unemployed people... It is more lucrative for these guys to sit at home and collect a check from Obama and work side jobs for cash. Pretty f'n sad in my book, even have one in my own family, he just took a job driving truck, then quit, and is right back on the dole.

Then there are more than a few guys that refuse to be away from the wife and kids, which is understandable... Unless you are losing your house and have the qualifications and health to land a six figure job up here... I know a few guys like that too.

Then there are guys that just can't handle the work and hours, had more than a few of them wander through the outfit I'm currently with. I figure if a guy has been in the military or spent a few years OTR they should be able to adapt to the lifestyle up here. And it seems to be more older men up here, other than on the rigs, that take these driving jobs. The younger guys we have had here don't last very long for some reason. I think the youngest guy where I work is around 45, and the oldest is 78. Average age up here is around 50 +\- or so at most outfits I am familiar with. The young guns don't really have the ambition anymore from my experience up here. God knows they don't last long, but most I have run into have very little motivation and are severely lacking in work ethics. They spend their time stirring the drama pot or working hard at trying to get out of work while still collecting a check.

There are plenty of opportunities up here if a guy is willing to work. And trust me when I say this, the hardest part of the overwhelming majority of these driving jobs up here is staying awake and putting on weight. I don't know of anyone in my outfit that is physically killing themselves due to labor conditions up here...

Our biggest battle up here is finding time to relax with an adult beverage or play a round or two of golf. Two things I always look forward too...

Mike

Last edited by Justruckin; 05-06-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Rookie

New guy Roy here. Been reading this thread with great interest because I am looking into working in the Bakken oil fields. I currently have a Class B CDL, but with no experience (and nobody around here is hiring inexperienced drivers). I'm going to go for my Class A, but in the meantime, I have some questions for you guys:
(1) Are there any companies out in the Bakken that would hire an inexperienced Class B holder for a trucking job? I do have my HAZMAT and Tanker endorsements, and I have a current U.S. passport for trips into Canada if need be. I'll glady go for any other endorsements that I may need.
(2) Are there any companies out in the Bakken who would offer me Class A training, or do I have to go the conventional route for that? Money is really, really tight for me now, and I really can't afford to go into debt for a few thousand bucks if I can help it. I suppose I could go through one of those big "driver factory" companies in order to get my Class A, but I would gladly avoid that if some company out in the Bakken would train me. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Mike thats a solid copy on your last over. the illegal immigrants have it good do to the fact that obama is willing to support Americans not willing to work the minimum wage jobs. interesting cycle.
There is Always work, I quit a cnty job in 06' economy went south, got cdl drove wreckers for 10 bucks an hr. made move to otr, Learned No one hires local cdl w/ out experience. Turns out I enjoy trucking and plan on staying with it.I see alot of otr drivers give up. Like you said, most truckers are older men.

YOU get out of life what your willing to put in. Be safe Doc.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Board Regular

Roy,

Look into hotshotting, quite a few outfits up here looking for drivers. Get on google and get on the phone, and or get in contact with one of the staffing agencies up here in ND. Also, natural gas plants, there is info here in one of my past posts. There are several companies up here that seem to be hiring on a regular basis. They will train, no experience required.

As far as CDL training, Baker Hughes was doing that, but unless you are a young man, I would not recommend it, allot, and I mean allot of physical labor. I did it, if interested look up Mile High Employment out of Denver CO.

Mike

On edit: There are hotshot outfits in Dickinson, Minot, Williston and I believe we have one in Sidney MT. Google expedite/hotshot and see what comes up. I think the name of one outfit in Dickinson was Six Gun, I think he had housing at one time.

Last edited by Justruckin; 05-07-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Board Regular

Creeds,

So true... It's a different world now, personally I don't like what has become of my country and one to many of her inhabitants. Not the place I grew up.

Mike