User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Can I get back into trucking?

I always hesitate to post for fear of all the negative responses I have gotten on other sites. I started out in trucking in 1980 and have been a driver (vans,flats,reefers) up intil Feb. 2007 when I got a DUI in my personal vehicle. I have also been a truck driving instructor in 2 states. Other than the DUI, I have a clean driving record.(no tickets or accidents), also have a clean DAC. And yes, I do realize my stupid mistake, because it cost me a career and alot of money. My question since the DUI is going on 4yrs. old. Do I have a chance to get back into trucking since I do have extensive experience. One of the glitches that I am aware of is the fact of being off the road for more than three years.
I would really appreciate any help or advice that anyone could give me!

Sincerely,
Littletree
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Board Regular

Most companies say after 5 years, but if I were you with your experience, I'd start throwing a whole lot of sh*t against the wall, as I'm guessing something will stick. (bombard everybody with apps, and be truthfull about the DUI) May have to do a refresher course with whomever bites, but it'll get your foot back in the door. Then the rest is up to you buddy.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with coalregion. Most carriers will not hire anyone with a DUI for at least 5 years. Some will never hire someone who has had a DUI. If the rest of your background is clean then you may find a carrier who will give you a chance. You will likely stand a much better chance with a smaller to mid sized carrier until more time has passed.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Yep, what those guys said! If you don't have any other red flags you just might have to take a refresher course. Some companies provide that as well for you if you're not able to take care of that out of your own pocket. Those monthly magazines that come out every month at all the big truck stops list a gazillion different companies and what they offer. The 'best thing' is your DUI was in your personal vehicle. If that had been in a commercial vehicle, you'd have no chance of climbing back in one.

Here's a short list of some of those trucking magazines that might help you out till the next issues come out around the first or second week of each month:
Truck Driver Jobs | Truck Driving Jobs | Trucking Jobs | Local Drivers CDL High Paying
TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper
TMP Truck Driver Magazines
www.truckdrivermagazines.com

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Thanks Gentlemen for all your good and honest responses! I live in florida and after your encouragement I will try...It was my life for many years and as you all well know, not a job for everyone...not a job, but also a lifestyle! Again thanks....I am the original Annie Oakley!
Take Care,
Littletree
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Rookie

go to cdljobs.com and they you a list of some of the big companies. With that they also allow you to look at what they require for employment. They tell you how many accidents and tickets you can have and how old they have to be as with DUI's also.