User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fuel Haulers Salaries??

How much is the average a first year fuel hauler can earn?? i have company that's willing to give me a shot but i will have to move and get an apartment and trying to figure out some math...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Hawk it depends on the company,
This year I should make just at $57,000 and that number includes all my bonus pay which comes to $3200 for the year broken down into quarterly pay and yearly bonus, I am also trained to do pump offs which adds to your pay and I will work any time they ask me to so I do have several weeks were I pulled 6 days in a row, our company adds $50 to your check for working 6 days in a row. I have also traveled out of town on a few occasions to make an extra $90 a day (out of town pay) on top of the loads I pulled so it adds up quickly. We have guys that are making upwards of 65 to 75+ K a year so it just depends.
If I had not gone out of town, learned to do pump offs, and worked the extra days when available I would be close to $49,000 for the year. You can expect to make at least $45,000 but more likely 50,000+ with the opportunity to make a great deal more if you do the job correctly and don't screw up, check out some of my old fuel post they may give you an idea of what to expect when pulling fuel. I have pulled fuel since the summer of 08 so this is my first full year doing it. I love this job and best of all I am home every night you can't beat that. What is the company you are looking to join with. Not all fuel companies are created equal, some say my company is a bottom barrel company and to that I say not in my mind, They treat me great and have given me opportunities beyond my expectations when I had no experience pulling fuel let alone a tanker. Pulling fuel is a mental job and not for everyone, you really need to have your head in one spot from the moment you start to the minute you finish, any deviation may result in something as little as a small gasoline bath to mixing diesel with regular, or worse.
If you have any other questions let me know I will gladly answer them for you if I can.

Timberwolf

Last edited by TimberWolf; 11-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

They are called Reliable Tank Lines out of North Carolina... they have Terminal in Chesapeake which i wouldn't mind moving closer too.. here's the website Reliable Tank Line, LLC - common carrier, transports petroleum products to businesses throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Board Regular

I figure i'm on track to make $50k my first year, but we haul a lot of ethanol too, which still gets me home, but it can be long runs.
Anything under $700 net/week I consider to be a short check.
Yeah yeah, I'm supposed to be making $1000 net, but my company is just a bit player :P
Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Did you ask them young lad? That is a great way to find out....what they start you out at....and what their top payrate is.

Remember...your just starting out...so you have things to learn...and wages are part of that.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Hawk it depends on the company,
This year I should make just at $57,000 and that number includes all my bonus pay which comes to $3200 for the year broken down into quarterly pay and yearly bonus, I am also trained to do pump offs which adds to your pay and I will work any time they ask me to so I do have several weeks were I pulled 6 days in a row, our company adds $50 to your check for working 6 days in a row. I have also traveled out of town on a few occasions to make an extra $90 a day (out of town pay) on top of the loads I pulled so it adds up quickly. We have guys that are making upwards of 65 to 75+ K a year so it just depends.
If I had not gone out of town, learned to do pump offs, and worked the extra days when available I would be close to $49,000 for the year. You can expect to make at least $45,000 but more likely 50,000+ with the opportunity to make a great deal more if you do the job correctly and don't screw up, check out some of my old fuel post they may give you an idea of what to expect when pulling fuel. I have pulled fuel since the summer of 08 so this is my first full year doing it. I love this job and best of all I am home every night you can't beat that. What is the company you are looking to join with. Not all fuel companies are created equal, some say my company is a bottom barrel company and to that I say not in my mind, They treat me great and have given me opportunities beyond my expectations when I had no experience pulling fuel let alone a tanker. Pulling fuel is a mental job and not for everyone, you really need to have your head in one spot from the moment you start to the minute you finish, any deviation may result in something as little as a small gasoline bath to mixing diesel with regular, or worse.
If you have any other questions let me know I will gladly answer them for you if I can.

Timberwolf
49K a year in Florida is about 35K here in Carolinas due to lower cost of living.....

When looking at the numbers, one has to adjust them according to where they live and the economic activity there.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

What happened to your new job? Don't like it?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Like but don't love.... Like enough where i can work there and not really complain like Schneider.. Always on the look out for something Better.. Plus it's a Local gig, not another OTR carrier.. I hope and plan this is my last OTR carrier
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM

I have been hauling fuel for the last few months now and I like it a lot I run up and down California and get home every night, the pay depends on the company and what area you run, plus how they pay you, would you be getting paid hourly, by the mile, or by the load? I have not heard of too many fuel haulers making below 45-50k a year, I have heard others make upwards of 75k a year. Plus what type of fuel will you be hauling? Gasoline? Diesel? Ethanol? Where will you be picking up at, Pipeline? Refinery? Both?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Board Regular

:thumbsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
They are called Reliable Tank Lines out of North Carolina... they have Terminal in Chesapeake which i wouldn't mind moving closer too.. here's the website Reliable Tank Line, LLC - common carrier, transports petroleum products to businesses throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee.
:thumbsup: