User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving for USPS or Mail Contractor

I had a interview with the USPS for a Tractor Trailer driver & I ahve a fulltime job right now but I always try to better myself & I was told by the USPS guy that there where some Guys retiring & they need to fill the positions with casual drivers.Couple Questions...
1.Whats it like to a Driver for the USPS,not a mail contractor?
2.Should I look seriously at this opportunity & legally try to work both Jobs until they hire fulltime not just a casual?
3.Whats is different about driving for the USPS & a Mail contractor?
Thx
Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchgrinder View Post
I had a interview with the USPS for a Tractor Trailer driver & I ahve a fulltime job right now but I always try to better myself & I was told by the USPS guy that there where some Guys retiring & they need to fill the positions with casual drivers.Couple Questions...
1.Whats it like to a Driver for the USPS,not a mail contractor?
2.Should I look seriously at this opportunity & legally try to work both Jobs until they hire fulltime not just a casual?
3.Whats is different about driving for the USPS & a Mail contractor?
Thx

One driver would be a Federal employee, while the other would not.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Rookie

You might want to get that answer from the post office. I drive for a mail contractor and from what I can see, the post office is getting rid of casuals. It has happened at the post office I drive out of. Some casuals usually work 1 day a week for 6-8 hrs a day it depends on the work load and right now the mail volume is not there. Just last week my company lost another truck off the run. We used to run 3 but only 1 now. These contractors do not have any say so in losing or adding a run. I got the call from our company late in the afternoon saying the p.o. decided to use 1 truck now and that 1 truck can't even get all of the mail. The p.o. is losing major money so don't expect a lot of hrs because they have cut hrs also. If you can hire on fulltime then I say go for it but just to be a casual I wouldn't also this post office I drive from want even make their parttime workers fulltime because the p.o. knows they can keep hrs low by not making the workers fulltime employees. I say be careful and get all of your answers directly from the post office and if possible in writing.