User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS Seasonal???

Hi. I have a question about UPS. I drive right now for a LTL company but paycuts AND cuts on hours make it ugly these days. I sent an application for an opening as a linehaul driver to UPS. Later i found out its only SEASONAL. They called me to come in for an interview. QUESTION: Is this the ONLY way to get into UPS....start as seasonal and HOPE to receive a permanent position? Or will I be jobless after DEC 31st like hinted in the job offer??? Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 AM

Odds are you will be jobless at the end of the rush given the economy...

Very few if any seasonal guys stay on after the holidays..

Timberwolf
Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM

I did not know UPS hired seasonal line-haulers. I knew they hired seasonal pu/del drivers (hard and stressful work that I'd want no part of). Furthermore, I've always heard that you work your way up from dock-worker to get anywhere permanent.

I heard UPS used "retired" drivers to pull any overflow line-haul freight that may or may not come up. Not trying to discourage you but just don't get take on any mis-understandings.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

UPS Parcel division (small package) refers to their linehaul operation as "feeder" drivers. And yes they do hire seasonal feeder drivers. It might lead to full time employment but it could take years. Basically any full time position is offered in house first and feeder is a highly desireable job. Pays $29/hr, overtime after 8hrs, double time after 12hrs. Guys work 15-20 years to get that job, usually moving from package cars. There would have to be an opening and nobody from within wanting it, then they would hire from the outside and the fact that they already know you would be a plus. Probably would never happen but maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

I was offered a job as a seasonal line-haul. What they told me was that you worked up through Jan then were done. The next year, july or so if they needed drivers you would be first in line and do it again. This part-time might go on for 4 or 5 years before you got a full-time job. The pu/del driver temp worked the same way but I was told you might get full time after 3 years. Got a full time job so passed on it. That and the guy doing the hiring looked just like the typical sleezy union thug. Greased back hair and pinky ring and all. Oh, and you had to join the union and pay them for the honor of working for UPS. I think it was $600 and was taken out of your pay.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Board Regular
Default seasonal....

Depending on their volume, UPS does hire what we used to call "Christmas drivers". You cannot take an existing bid drivers work though and it's mainly just overflow. You can shuttle trailers from one center to the next, pull rail containers etc. If you do a great job, (and it is very hard to get used to Brown's way of doing things in just a few weeks) they MAY remember you the following year. But more than likely that manager will have moved on and you will have to start the process over. These are not "regular" positions, either part or full time and you do not accumulate seniority. Basically, your just "extra help". The only way to move into a full time feeder gig is to do what everyone else has to do. Start part time in the "sort" and work your way into full time, can take 2-4 years as UPS is not converting as many part-time to full-time jobs as they said they would in the last contract. Spend many years in a package car and accumulate seniority and bid on available jobs as they come open. UPS bids twice a year. Frankly, I'm surprised Brown is even hiring temps. this year. Their volume is way down and in the West, they still have a lot of people on lay-off. And as a retired feeder driver of many years at Brown, I have never heard of them bringing us back even at Christmas. The Teamsters would have a field day with that one. Plus, speaking strictly for me, I wouldn't put that brown suit back on for anything. I've been retired for a few years now from them and and I don't miss their style of "management"......
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Yes...they called it feeder driver, not linehaul like I called it. I guess I have to stick it out where I am:{
Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

Everything is right on. I'm a package/feeder driver now. Only took me 16 years to get there. I'm waiting for another driver to retire next year, and then I can move into feeders full-time, and not just cover vacations.

With the loss of volume there are a lot of laid off feeder drivers. They would get called back 1st before any seasonal driver could move up. I think it will be long time before there is any feeder driver hired off the street.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Board Regular

Hey Brown67, long time, no hear from...Only took me 14 years, but I guess times were better then. I enjoy the pension check though, just wish my ex-wife didn't get half of it..But it beats a sharp stick in the eye...
Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Right, Feederfred. I remember now that it was all overflow. You took what was left over during the season wherever they needed you. It was full-time so you'd be working everyday. Seemed like a good job, though and if I did not need to work full-time, say if I worked construction in the summer and did that in the winter it would be a great way to get my foot in the door. That union guy really turned me off, though.