User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Reality of Trucking

Is it true that once you get diesel fuel on your hands that you become hooked on trucking? I had been in the construction field for 20 + years before I got laid off, so I went to school for my CDL. I had 2 1/2 years OTR before I had to walk away from the road. Just when the miles and money started looking decent my company started having problems. The owner told me he had to reregister the truck but now its been sitting since February. I wonder if he is being straight with me. Fortunatly I am also a drywall finisher and I found a good paying job doing that but I miss the road seriously. On my way to work I look at the trucks rolling by and I get choked up. I dont mean to sound like Im boasting but I make good money finishing but I really miss the road.

I started out with Gainey then left them for WH Transportation, mistake one was leaving WH to go to Covenant believing I would make more cash which ended up being a recruiters lie. Stayed at Covenant for 3 weeks and went to Melton to lease a pretty blue KW which I couldnt afford. Then I went to JR schugel and was running great as a company driver so once again I fell for the lease thinking I would get the same miles, pretty truck, this one was a shiny white 2007 International 9900. Once again I couldnt afford it so I left and found a local company and even though the truck was a filthy old 99 Pete it ran 80 MPH and I was home three days a week and still running 2500 miles a week.

Now here I sit roadsick, to drive now I would have to take a paycut. With my employment history only a lowpaying company will take me on no matter how I try to explain my circumstances. I was NEVER late with deliveries and I took trucking as serious as life and I know I was a good safe driver but because I never stayed around with a trucking company long Im a jobhopper. If I was a single man I would even go to Swift or CR England just to drive again but I have the wife,kids,dog,mortgage thing going.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions, be safe and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffron View Post
Is it true that once you get diesel fuel on your hands that you become hooked on trucking? I had been in the construction field for 20 + years before I got laid off, so I went to school for my CDL. I had 2 1/2 years OTR before I had to walk away from the road. Just when the miles and money started looking decent my company started having problems. The owner told me he had to reregister the truck but now its been sitting since February. I wonder if he is being straight with me. Fortunatly I am also a drywall finisher and I found a good paying job doing that but I miss the road seriously. On my way to work I look at the trucks rolling by and I get choked up. I dont mean to sound like Im boasting but I make good money finishing but I really miss the road.

I started out with Gainey then left them for WH Transportation, mistake one was leaving WH to go to Covenant believing I would make more cash which ended up being a recruiters lie. Stayed at Covenant for 3 weeks and went to Melton to lease a pretty blue KW which I couldnt afford. Then I went to JR schugel and was running great as a company driver so once again I fell for the lease thinking I would get the same miles, pretty truck, this one was a shiny white 2007 International 9900. Once again I couldnt afford it so I left and found a local company and even though the truck was a filthy old 99 Pete it ran 80 MPH and I was home three days a week and still running 2500 miles a week.

Now here I sit roadsick, to drive now I would have to take a paycut. With my employment history only a lowpaying company will take me on no matter how I try to explain my circumstances. I was NEVER late with deliveries and I took trucking as serious as life and I know I was a good safe driver but because I never stayed around with a trucking company long Im a jobhopper. If I was a single man I would even go to Swift or CR England just to drive again but I have the wife,kids,dog,mortgage thing going.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions, be safe and enjoy the ride.

You really enjoy telling this story!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Rookie
Default oops

didnt mean to double post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member

because I never stayed around with a trucking company long Im a jobhopper

uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh??

Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Rookie

It's cool to see that you actually enjoyed the profession and miss it. I hope you get a chance again to go with a decent company. I am one of those single, no kids, no mortgage guys and would have no problem at all going with a mega carrier. I would get an instant $12,000.00/year raise over what i make now because I wouldn't have to pay rent, utilities, and other expenses. Good luck to ya!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=jeffron;457689]Is it true that once you get diesel fuel on your hands that you become hooked on trucking?

YUP and you got it

If I was a single man I would even go to Swift or CR England just to drive again but I have the wife,kids,dog,mortgage thing going,

You better go home and give your wife a BIG hug and kiss cause she saved you from a big mistake!

It sounds like you have a hard time saying NO (hence the lease) or your a sucker (no offense I'm one too)

I'd stick with drywall for now cause there still a lot of drivers out of work right now, things may be getting better but who really knows? Just stick it out and when things get booming again then jump back in.