User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SYSCO Orlando

Currently working at a SYSCO house in Albany NY as a driver. Looking to relocate to Orlando FL. Does anyone have any info on the SYSCO house in Orlando? Pay, route etc. Making over 70K here in a union (Teamsters) shop, working 70 hrs a week in the summer and 50-60 otherwise, home everynight no weekends. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Topset,
As a former Executive Chef I have dealt with Central Florida Sysco for years before my driving career.
In Orlando Sysco is not union! I looked into them back in 04 when I started driving as I had an inside track knowing several MA's and District managers. The starting pay back then was close to 45,000 to 50,000 a year depending on routes. I decided on another job as delivering food is a young mans job. As a chef I had the same driver most of the time but not always, they do like to change up routes from time to tie to keep drivers from getting to friendly with the customers.
Orlando being such a tourist location you routes can be an entire truck load to Disney, or one of the many hotels in town, or 15 stops to many mom and pops places. Summers are extremely hot and humid with rain. Winters are awesome best time to deliver. The cost of living down here has gone up here but is beginning to stablize, I am sure it is better then the Albany area but not positive. If you have any other questions let me know i will do my best to help out. I still know a few ppl in Sysco as well.

Timberwolf
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Currently working at a SYSCO house in Albany NY as a driver. Looking to relocate to Orlando FL. Does anyone have any info on the SYSCO house in Orlando? Pay, route etc. Making over 70K here in a union (Teamsters) shop, working 70 hrs a week in the summer and 50-60 otherwise, home everynight no weekends. Thanks.

What you need to do, is tell your supervisor that you want to transfer, and he will talk to your president. Your president will contact the president in Orlando, and see if they have any openings, etc.

I've been told that it's quite simple to transfer. I've thought about transferring to Dallas, but just never have.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I can't tell you anything about Sysco....except they deal with food.... But I know Florida.... I grew up in Orlando..... Me, I wouldn't live there now...but that's merely a personal choice. I still live in FL....but farther south and on the Gulf coast in a county with about 1/10th the population of Orlando.....

Before you throw yourself on a sword and move to Orlando....do your homework and go a lot of real estate looking on the web..... not only the prices....but find out what the homeowners insurance costs....its probably $3500.00 a year on average, and that doesn't include flood insurance if the house sits in a flood plain. Taxes have gone up on realestate as well.... Apartments aren't that cheap.... Now that is not to say that you can't afford a home there... But if you are looking to buy a home....you had best get an insurance commitment before you get too wound up.... One major insurance company has bailed out and left over a million homeowners high and dry scrambling for insurance.... no insurance, no mortgage.

Unions in Florida are pretty much a non-entity. Unless you work for Big Brown or one of the big LTL's that are Teamster..... Florida is a "Right to Work" state....

I guess what I am saying is: Don't expect to make nearly as much, and be prepared to pay out just as much or more in the form of "cost of living". About the only thing right now that FL has over NY...is that there is no state income tax...

When my dad retired from the Army in 1960 and we returned to Orlando from overseas... there were maybe 63,000 people in the county....it was a nice place back then...

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 PM

SkyWalker,
I live in Clermont about 20 miles or so west of Orlando, Lake County. My property tax this past year was $1994, when I bought this typical Florida 3/2 block home in 98 my taxes were $1680, in the last year I have added a pool to the home and my taxes only went up about $125. The homestead deduction helps a lot plus once you are established your property taxes grow at a very slow rate if I remember correctly they cant be raised no more then 3% every year, not to sure on that one however in 11 years in this home my taxes have only gone up $300.
My homeowners insurance is $ 674 a year and only went up after the summer of 04. We are well out of the flood zone area and pretty much right in the middle of the state at a whopping elevation of 196 feet above sea level. Florida does have the state run Citizens Property Insurance Corporation that has to give you homeowners insurance if you are unable to secure your own, depending on where you live you may pay out the nose for it, that is true.
Prices are dropping fast around here, I feel for those who bought homes in the last few years as they are so upside down its not even funny, at one time my little home could have sold for $275,000, now it would sell at 160 which is still high in my opinion.... But people are beginning to buy around here two homes on the block sold in the last month..
As far as Orlando goes well is it any worse then Naples in the winter time with all the snow birds? I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and now I pull fuel all over Orlando, some days it really sucks but just like everything else you make the best of it.
you say you are south of Orlando on the coast were abouts.

Haave a great day.

Timberwolf
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

TimberWolf,

I'm down in Punta Gorda....about 100 miles or so south of Tampa.

I grew up in Orlando, lived in Tavares and Eustis...and even banked in Clermont.... I remember when Clermont was a pimple on a gnats ass.... Like when that whole area was all citrus groves as in the whole of Lake County.....and there were zero homes on US 27 from south of where the turnpike crosses 27 up by Leesburg all the way down to south of I-4... except for those right there in Clermont and Minneola.... I left that area around 92' when I bought a house over at Wilbur by the Sea (South Daytona Beach)..... then moved down where I am now in about 97'.

You're lucky on your taxes and insurance. Lake County has lower taxes than a lot of the counties, I think. Your insurance rates are to be envied....people in our area would kill for those kinds of rates. Being just about in the middle of the state you have less to worry about when a hurricane hits....wind gets knocked down some.... and unless you built your house at the bottom of a hill...not much flooding to worry about.

Right now...Charlotte County has one of the highest "foreclosure" rates in the nation, and prices are dropping...rapidly, but the drop in prices has not caused the tax assessments to drop or the insurance rates to fall.... But I'm happy I got rid of all my real estate a while ago. I live on my boat now...

Down where I am....and further south thru Cape Coral, Fort Myers and down to Naples is a freakin' zoo when the blue-haired lizards all show up for the winter.... We certainly don't miss them when they leave....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Last edited by Skywalker; 05-03-2009 at 02:03 AM.