User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Running the 11 Western for Swift

I'm not looking for general comments on this company; I know what they are and what they're not. What I'm asking for is information from anyone who drives the Western region for Swift. How often do you go through Salt Lake City under load? What kind of miles are you getting?

SLC is pretty much the center of the Western region and that's where the house is. I'm thinking I may be able to take some of my 10 hour breaks at home and maybe even a 34 hour restart once and a while. The recruiter tells me 2 weeks out with 2 days home is the norm. Feedback from any Swifties with experience in this region would be welcome. If my expectations are way off base I'd like to hear that, too.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Before my grounding, I was literally rolling through there once a week.

I was based out of the Fontana terminal and I was getting anywhere from 1500-2500miles/week if I chose to stay 11-Western.

After my first six months though, I put myself towards West-to-East and back runs.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Do you have experience? If so . .

Which of the following two examples best describes you:

1. I tend to cherry pick my loads and I'm content to sit at a terminal and commiserate with other cherry pickers.

2. I like working, I like running the west and I'll take just about any load that keeps me running the west.

SLC would not be my first choice of terminals to base from but SLC is a great place to live if you drive the western 11. All roads lead there. There are very good miles to be found on the dedicated accounts and in heavy haul. OTR/11 will get you into the dead areas from time to time so you need to be ready for that.

If you like to run, you can average 3k or better. If not, choose your bottom.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:24 AM

Thanks for the information, bentstrider. That's what I was hoping to hear. To answer your question, cdswans, I am experienced, and I'm not a cherry picker. SLC wasn't my choice, it just happened to be where my wife was offered a job opportunity we couldn't ignore, and so we find ourselves there (or here, as it were).

I do like to run, but I like to see the wife, too. I'll probably try to get on to a dedicated account eventually. Did you really say 3000+ miles? Is that realistic for this region and at this time?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

It may not happen overnight but it won't take long to work your way up and in. Costco and/or heavy haul can get you those miles and either will keep you fairly close to home. The only problem you'll have is being home by Friday will very often wind up being home on Monday, etc. The further you're willing to go, the harder it is to get back. Of all the places in the west, SLC is probably the easiest to get back to.

As far as the economy goes, I personally have not suffered a bit for miles but I don't ever need to go home. Let me know where you are in the process and I'll make a call to get some up to date scoop.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
It may not happen overnight but it won't take long to work your way up and in. Costco and/or heavy haul can get you those miles and either will keep you fairly close to home. The only problem you'll have is being home by Friday will very often wind up being home on Monday, etc. The further you're willing to go, the harder it is to get back. Of all the places in the west, SLC is probably the easiest to get back to.

As far as the economy goes, I personally have not suffered a bit for miles but I don't ever need to go home. Let me know where you are in the process and I'll make a call to get some up to date scoop.
Still no word yet on rehires and such at the Fontana terminal.
While waiting for some of these security company apps to go through, I'll probably go into there tomorrow and speak with my former DM over there about the possibility of going through a different terminal.

This is a decent company and any chance of getting back with them I'll go through.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 AM

I was invited to orientation March 10 in SLC and I will be going. I'll be giving notice to my current company (which will remain nameless) on Feb 24. Costco was mentioned by the recruiter because I have experience with doubles/triples and some of the Costco runs pull doubles. It's an opportunity I'd probably go for.

I know that having an exact day of the week off can be problematic at times and I can be a bit flexible, working with my DM as much as possible. Then, when I absolutely have to be home on a certain day, say for a Dr. appointment, etc. it may be a little easier to accomplish. It's a give and take thing.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydragon View Post
I was invited to orientation March 10 in SLC and I will be going.
Well, my old DM told me that the terminal recruiter said that's when they'll probably start looking at apps once again.

Cool that you're getting on, but I'm not going to cross fingers for myself, just keep in contact with them until then and see what happens.
My DMV's been kept clean and there were no problems at the small place I garnered some container experience from.
That and I've kept my HAZMAT and doubles attached.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydragon View Post
I was invited to orientation March 10 in SLC and I will be going. I'll be giving notice to my current company (which will remain nameless) on Feb 24. Costco was mentioned by the recruiter because I have experience with doubles/triples and some of the Costco runs pull doubles. It's an opportunity I'd probably go for.

I know that having an exact day of the week off can be problematic at times and I can be a bit flexible, working with my DM as much as possible. Then, when I absolutely have to be home on a certain day, say for a Dr. appointment, etc. it may be a little easier to accomplish. It's a give and take thing.
PM'd you . . I think you can read but not reply?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Looks like they changed the PM policy. I was able to reply.