User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heartland Express Drivers

Questions

1) What is Heartlands Express Idle policy?

2) Does Heartland Express have APU's installed or are they putting them on?

3) What is your average weekly miles?

4) How hard are they on HAZMAT endorsement?

Thanks

MR C
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

There are no Heartland drivers here...I killed them all.

But in answer to your questions

Quote:
Right now, it's common sense. If you've got to idle it, do so. If you don't, then don't. If your idle time is high, they're going to talk to you about it. But if you're idling only when needed, you'll be fine.

Quote:
No and no.

Quote:
Around 2100 regional, 2400 OTR. Those are fleet averages.

Quote:
It's not required at the moment. You get an extra $.01 per mile for all miles driven if you have it, so it's worth $1000+ per year just to have it. But in the end, it is your decision.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Heartland Express Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr C
Questions

Thanks

MR C
Note: FROM THE DEAD! OR DAMNED

3) What is your average weekly Miles?

Answer:

1627< accident( lost a truck )

2191 Average!

Seems Twilights numbers checkout in this area. As I'm regional.

I'm just in a bad location for the Home time part.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer

Quote:
Right now, it's common sense. If you've got to idle it, do so. If you don't, then don't. If your idle time is high, they're going to talk to you about it. But if you're idling only when needed, you'll be fine.

That's pretty ambiguous...Because I know what management considers "common sense "...idle conditions are not the same as what "ARE" and keep a driver comfortable...because GTS said same thing ,but did not consider 90 an acceptable idle condition...yet office AC was in full swing...

If a company has an idle policy based on percent of total run time and it's based on weekly runtime and it's only 30% that's only about 3.5 hrs a day running 2500 miles averaging 50 mph go faster and you get less idle time...now an idle plan like this defies ..."COMMON" sense ...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty ambiguous...Because I know what management considers "common sense "...idle conditions are not the same as what "ARE" and keep a driver comfortable...because GTS said same thing ,but did not consider 90 an acceptable idle condition...yet office AC was in full swing...

If a company has an idle policy based on percent of total run time and it's based on weekly runtime and it's only 30% that's only about 3.5 hrs a day running 2500 miles averaging 50 mph go faster and you get less idle time...now an idle plan like this defies ..."COMMON" sense ...

There are several policies here at Heartland that are equally: ambiguous

Example: the Heartland Cares Program

AMBIGUOUS can have some positive aspects:

Example if you're a hard runner-- don't make trouble, are safe-- they can

let you slide on some of these ambiguous "issues". Also, stuff like Detention Pay, etc. It allows the FM's to be flexable depending on how they like you- or how they guage your "temperature" or ATTITUDE.

Without the Drivers being able to come back and "quote" them -- the Policy. And how that's Not enough $$$. Or-- if they feel they need to/or like you-- give up HIGHER $$$$ for such things.

But, back to the idle issue. They don't have the qualcomm 'sensor tracs" enabled on their qualcomm-- I don't know if this is to save money- or so- you -the driver can't press a button and read your PTO idle percentage, idle gallons and all the other performance data which would-- empower/inform you and allow you to modify and improve your behavior.

But, they do send out WARNING LETTERS if your idle time is excessive( of course these are in hindsight and arrive a month too late. Where as, with the sensor tracs you'd have current real time information to work with.

I've heard-- they clean house regularly and FIRE the one's with high idle times-- to empty out the truck for a possible better- less wasteful new driver.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

let you slide on some of these ambiguous "issues". Also, stuff like Detention Pay, etc. It allows the FM's to be flexable depending on how they like you- or how they guage your "temperature" or ATTITUDE.

Without the Drivers being able to come back and "quote" them -- the Policy. And how that's Not enough $$$. Or-- if they feel they need to/or like you-- give up HIGHER $$$$ for such things.

But, back to the idle issue. They don't have the qualcomm 'sensor tracs" enabled on their qualcomm-- I don't know if this is to save money- or so- you -the driver can't press a button and read your PTO idle percentage, idle gallons and all the other performance data which would-- empower/inform you and allow you to modify and improve your behavior.

But, they do send out WARNING LETTERS if your idle time is excessive( of course these are in hindsight and arrive a month too late. Where as, with the sensor tracs you'd have current real time information to work with.

I've heard-- they clean house regularly and FIRE the one's with high idle times-- to empty out the truck for a possible better- less wasteful new driver.

In other words heartand sucks...I sweat/freeze for no company...espcially when they seem to have the funds to run AC 24/7 in the offices even nights/weekends with 3-5 people in the office ...and heat all winter...I might take idle rules more serious if those preaching the rules did so from a non heated/AC office...you know a sign of "solidarity".
Old 09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

In other words heartand sucks...I sweat/freeze for no company...espcially when they seem to have the funds to run AC 24/7 in the offices even nights/weekends with 3-5 people in the office ...and heat all winter...I might take idle rules more serious if those preaching the rules did so from a non heated/AC office...you know a sign of "solidarity".
Hey, I didn't say that-- where did you read that into my post?
Just giving out-- some facts and MHO. You could name several of these "coolie" carriers that are worse places to work. Ok, I will.

CR England
Swift
Warner
Covenant
U.S.Express
Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Those eye-rollers for for the jeepster.

Here's the deal. Borg works for Heartland...he's got ups and downs. For the most part, he's making money, but I bet dollars to donuts he'd be happier in a local gig, even if he was making less. The OTR has taken a lot out of him...it's obvious in his posts. And his posts are usually straight up, no BS. Sometimes they are complimentary to Heartland and sometimes they are not. But it's always the straight truth, even if he's jaded toward the industry as a whole.

I think that's f'ing great, too. I don't BS drivers when I talk to them and I'd damn sure be happier having a driver calling me after talking with Russ (Borg), than a driver calling me after talking with Rah Rah Ronnie (just a made up name). Point is, when Russ talks to a driver, he's got the straight poop and I don't have to spend a half hour to deflating the embellishments that a cheerleader might lay on the potential driver.

So, here it is. Heartland is a good company if you're looking for a short to medium haul carrier and want to make money and have fairly decent hometime. Yes, there are some ambiguous things about the company, just like any company. No question about it. And Russ has the Heartland Cares nailed dead on...it's a gray area more because they don't want to be handcuffed by set policies when dealing with the top drivers. You do what you can to keep the movers and shakers and we've got a lot of multi-year guys here.

Idle time is indeed a common sense approach. Right now, drivers are urged to turn the key when they don't need to idle the truck. It's not rocket science and no one is asked to sweat or freeze for the company. If you've got a brain and you can use it, you shouldn't have any problem. If you're one of those guys simply looking for a reason to be pissed at or about a company, then I'm sure you'll find something to whine about. And if you can't, I can probably find something to get you started.

Myself, I've been with Heartland for 7 years and God and Russ (the owner, not Borg) willing, I'll retire here. I like the company, it's a good, solid company and takes care of me and my family, far better than any other company I've ever worked for. But in the end, it's a job. It's a company. You will never find a company out there that is absolutely perfect for you unless you start up your own and even then, you'll have problems with the hours worked. For me, Heartland is my last stop on the corporate road. For Borg, it'll be his jumping off point to local, would be my guess. For anyone else? It's up to that person. If you want to think it sucks, Jeep, then more power to you. I think your view is remarkably ignorant considering it's based on one post Russ made, a post you took out of context. But hey, if that's your call, that's your call. But I've said it before and I'll say it again...if you're looking for something to get mad about regarding ANY company out there, you'll certainly find it.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

CR England
Swift
Warner
Covenant
U.S.Express

No Werner has nearly 60% of their 10,000 truck fleet equiped with top of the line APU ...and the rest can idle a fair amout no unfair sweating/freezing there :wink:

If a company wants low -0 idle then money should have been spent putting good apu on the trucks heck most of these comanies could have ordered their newly purchased trucks with apu from factory...I see companies like KOCH/WERNER and others with apu equipped trcucks ...what's other mega carriers excuse other than they feel that it a viable cost cutting option to make the driver endure the hot/cold because of greed at the top ...So if a company does not provide this and then hassles/fires a driver over nothing more than running his heat/AC they are low rent ...not bashing you but Heartland sounds a bit shady :wink: