Thread: Slip seating

jmazz is offline Rookie

Default Slip seating

I am new to the business. Can someone explain to me what "slip seating" means? Thanks.
    Jmazz

Jumbo is offline Senior Board Member

That means you don't have your own truck. Two drivers may share one truck or you might turn the key on a different truck everytime you go to work
    Don't trust anybody. Especially that guy in the mirror.

jmazz is offline Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully I'll learn to speak the language sometime soon.
    Mazz

Jumbo is offline Senior Board Member

No problem. Any more questions just ask. That is what we are here for, To answer questions and make fun of people
    Don't trust anybody. Especially that guy in the mirror.

We slip seat at my job. But it goes like this. Im schedule to work from 4am-4pm. Usually im done at 1-2iish. My partner comes in and is scheduled to work 4pm-4am. Hes done around midnight. So i use the same truck everyday. Problem is i clean the **** out of it and even polished the tanks and my partner is on the scumbag side and dosent keep it up. Its ok tho. Lots of waiting to get unloaded so plenty of time to clean the truck when ur on the clock if u slip seat and get a diff truck everyday, thats the worst. Most likely every truck in the yard is a pos and dirty as sin. Its all to save money

Jackrabbit379 is offline Board Icon

Well, you can have a truck that's wore out, and still be cleaned up. I've seen some newer trucks that are filthy. There's no sense in not keeping a truck cleaned.

I slip seat myself. Our daytime guys that deliver drive the same trucks that I drive every night. Only thing is, I dont drive the same truck every night. I take in whichever truck is lowest on fuel, and when I get to our warehouse, I fuel the truck, etc..

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by INKTOXICATED View Post
    We slip seat at my job. But it goes like this. Im schedule to work from 4am-4pm. Usually im done at 1-2iish. My partner comes in and is scheduled to work 4pm-4am. Hes done around midnight. So i use the same truck everyday. Problem is i clean the **** out of it and even polished the tanks and my partner is on the scumbag side and dosent keep it up. Its ok tho. Lots of waiting to get unloaded so plenty of time to clean the truck when ur on the clock if u slip seat and get a diff truck everyday, thats the worst. Most likely every truck in the yard is a pos and dirty as sin. Its all to save money
    Another one of them fume sniffing gas haulers....a senior one from the looks! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

homer is offline Board Regular

i been on 12 hours on 12 off for a long time
    i clean when i get some waiting time. having been on both shifts i dont expect some one to do much cleaning at 3am. night shift usually keeps moving good.
    its a shocker when you take your tractor in for service and you drive the pos loaner and your hands turn black up to your elbows !

belpre122 is offline Local Advocate Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by INKTOXICATED View Post
    Its ok tho. Lots of waiting to get unloaded so plenty of time to clean the truck when ur on the clock
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
    Another one of them fume sniffing gas haulers....a senior one from the looks! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Goes to show how much you know Stanley! Us fume sniffers never wait to get unloaded! 8500 gallons=23 minutes! Next time your through Indy, give me a shout. I'll teach you some of the finer points of fuel hauling!:bow:
    Wannabe!
    "Just another OTR coolie carrier. They suck. They ALL suck. Run away from coolie OTR trucking" The Great ColdFrostyMug

No gas hauler here. Flatbedder. Our customers are pretty quick except for the dicks at home depots

Phreddo is offline Board Regular

What, no one mentions the team version of slip-seating? It's like regular slip-seating, except you keep the cruise control on
    I've never done it or seen it done, but i've heard stories of drivers doing it.

I try to keep my truck clean, but i think i have the lowest standards of the 3 of us in my pod. not to mention, i think the other 2 have more down time with the truck. I hear one of them has to wait in the truck for a couple hours for his wife to come get him. If i had time to sit, I'd clean it up too. but when i get home, i log off and i'm out of the truck in in my car on done for the day.

TruckerChris is offline Senior Board Member

Slip seating = Hell

Unless you have a good partner, it's not any fun. I used to keep the truck spotless and my partner would come in and destroy everything, not blow the interior out or wash the truck and what really made me mad was when he didn't fuel it up after his shift... Slip seating is one thing I do not miss at all.

Jackrabbit379 is offline Board Icon

Fortunately, our day time drivers keep the trucks clean. Every once in a while, I may have to throw out an empty coke can, but other than that, they do a pretty good job.

15. This ad will disappear if you login