User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Millis Transfer

Beginning to narrow down my choices and fro what little I am able to find out about this company on their website, they don't seem to be all that bad. They have a driving school about 2 hours from my home and I would then imagine that they have several freight lanes running in or through the Central Ohio area where I live. Their rookie finishing pay, when with a trainer on the road, doesn't seem too bad, but I do wonder about miles as to whether they are going to be constant or not?

Can anyone tell me anything about this company as currently they are running at the top of my list....

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

They haul a ton of budweiser beer and paper.
I think they have a steady account with Budweiser, which is good for you.

See if you can talk to any of their drivers and see what the real story is.
Only bad thing with Millis seems to be out for 2+ weeks at a time, and I hear the owner Mike Millis can be a real jagoff if you have a minor accident. Just dont screw up and you'll be ok.

I'd seriously look into Roehl too. They have a van and flatbed division. They seem to be pretty driver friendly. I know a couple guys that did flatbed for them. They complained about the WORK of flatbedding such as the heavy lumber tarps, but didnt have too much bad to say about the company in general. I'd actually look at Roehl more so than Millis. They have ALOT more hometime options.

Keep us posted.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Jim
Thanks for the info and Roehl is also around the top of my list and I do know they have alot of different hometime schedules to choose from in their programs. Would like to hear from any Roehl land pilots as to their impressions of Roehl as a place to work.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Default Millis

Worked for them for 3 years in the late 90's. Finally got tired of castrated trucks, waiting for beer and paper loads to actually be made. Miles started to suck big time. Got a hell of a lot of driver unload paper loads, and the unload pay was pathetic. Best to avoid them. Not a company to make a career with. One of the few good things was the trucks looked nice. Of course nice dont pay the bills.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

The big problem I have with Millis is their training program. They require you to go to their school (not a big deal) and then send you out with a trainer with only a permit. Once you have completed OTJ training then they have you test out in your home state. The issue I have is that if you do not complete all of the training for what ever reason you are left with nothing but a bill for the school.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Default Millis

Its always best to finance your own school if possible. Then you owe no one any commitment. Get a loan if possible. Borrow from family and friends. If you have to go with a company read the fine print, because everything in those school agreements is heavily weighted in the companies favor. Its almost like indentured servitude.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Millis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller
Its almost like indentured servitude.
Almost? :lol:

There are two things you shouldn't do with your employer:

1. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing a truck
2. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing an education.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Millis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
There are two things you shouldn't do with your employer:

1. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing a truck
2. Rent a job from them by lease purchasing an education.
Heh, ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger
Beginning to narrow down my choices and fro what little I am able to find out about this company on their website, they don't seem to be all that bad. They have a driving school about 2 hours from my home and I would then imagine that they have several freight lanes running in or through the Central Ohio area where I live. Their rookie finishing pay, when with a trainer on the road, doesn't seem too bad, but I do wonder about miles as to whether they are going to be constant or not?
Forget the McMega carrier grist mills. Head on down to your local community college or local vo-tech and inquire if they have a CDL curriculum. If so, you'll generally find the prices cheaper, the length of training longer, and their interest is in actually training you...not just putting meat into seats. You can attend evening and weekend classes around your day job and when you graduate, you don't owe your soul to the company store. You're a free agent and the truckin' world is your oyster...which means no contract hanging over your head like the sword of Damocles. No running like an iterod sled-dog under the thumb of some crack-the-whip Captain Ahab dispatcher. No being shackled to an 8X10 fiberglass cell with a 6-month "trainer" who's allergic to soap, deoderant, and hot water. Any such gruff and you just ride away into the sunset and try your hand at another outfit. That in itself is its own reward.

There's good money to be made in this biz if you know how to play your cards. And that's the real key. You've got to know when to hold em', know when to fold em', know when to walk away, and know when to RUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!! :lol:
Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Lebron and Rev. hit the nail on the head there. Don't unnecessarily sign your life away to a coolie carrier. Do things on your own terms.

As for Millis, the lead driver at my outfit worked there for 17 years. He made good money over time, got to drive a sweet KW with a studio sleeper.

But he regrets going OTR for so long due to everything he missed while he was away.

The romanticism that I know you are feeling right now with the idea of being a trucker on the open road will evaporate once you get out there and see what it is really like.

Or maybe you'll really enjoy it. BOL
Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Default Re: Millis Transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsclinger

Can anyone tell me anything about this company as currently they are running at the top of my list....

Thanks.
I hope I don't get in trouble for this but here goes lol

venture over to truckers road forum...there is a massive amount of Mills info there