User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Companies hiring Florida Drivers?

Anyone live in florida+ drive for any company down here?
Im wondering how many people think this state is a good place for a driver to live+get a driver job?
What part do you live in florida?maybe it has an effect on who gets a job or not.
Anyone???
Old 04-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Good Morning Sickofdriving,

Just a hunch here, but maybe just maybe your name on this board carries over to your interview skills or personality and the companies are picking up on it... hence why you are having trouble finding a driving job....
I live in Central Florida area just west of Orlando been driving for four years now and have not had any problems finding work.... it takes a little time but it can be done...

What part of the state are you in? Are you looking for local or otr? and is there any possiblity that the employers can see you are sick of driving, if they can then it will most likely be a while before you find work...

Good luck....

Timberwolf
Old 04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks t-wolf for your reply.
Ive been driving OTR+regional+local for about 10 years now and yes maybe its burning me out at this stage of the game.
Im 35 now but I feel 20 years older.
I live out in pinellas county,FL now.
Your sort of in Tampa which is better as far as parking maybe.
I got an offer to go to orientationw/ an OTR company but I havent called back.Kinda temped because I could use the quick money but Im really trying to quit driving these days.
I lived in Texas before here,But for some reason was dumb enough to move here.
Most companies I call (all the big ones)dont have any thing avail down this way.
+from exp most companies know that freight here is limited.
A JB hunt recruiter told me straight out one day "you know that florida is not a good state for driver jobs ,right?)I said yeah in a way i did know.
Maybe driving 4 years yourself your still loving it but try 8 to ten year mark+.
And Read truthabouttrucking.com
If you havent yet.Its an ebook writen by a driver+trucking business owner with employees who pretty much tells the truth about the industry.
Its not for everyone and Ive had my fun out there.
I was needing a job + thought about maybe going at it for a few months some where to stash some money +move on to something else in life thats all.Anyone feel the same way out here.Let us know.
who wants to quit OTR + move on with there lives?Am I alone here?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Having a CDL is pretty much job security, The " you live in the wrong area" is crap. There are trucking companies EVERYWHERE. You just have to do your research to find them, they will not come to you. If you want it bad enough, go get it! If your sick of it, find another line of work. Sounds to me like you've already made your decision and wan't to quit.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Rookie

No,Ive been in this long enough to where I learned to manipulate these recruiters w/ a chipper and excited manner that who ever I apply for is the greatest company to work for in the universe.
I still get alot of offers whenever I apply thru these maga websites or newspapers.As long as your Dac is clean they all want you.
Im a good actor,but I chose the title"sickofdriving"
Because its the truth.I should really go by 'SickofOTRScams"
Most drivers will get to that point some day.Im working localy here but wanted to see if the OTR market is getting better or worse.So I apply once in a while to see if I still got it, I guess.
And the high Fuel prices are not just effecting O/O's
Its effects company guys too.
Notice how they are clamping down really hard on idling more than ever.
yeah if your lucky enough to have a 'Tripac generator"on your cat walk it may help but thats not the end all when Fuel is currently$4.40.in some places.
I dont know about you, but Its gona get worse before it gets better.
Check out a good website I think every driver should read,
http://truthabouttrucking.com
OTR trucking is a scam.Learn why it is.
But I still think that truck drivers are good hard working folks who deserve better wages and treatment.
But what do I know,Ive been drivingOTR for 10 years now.
The more years you drive the less miles you'll get.
Its more profitable to get a student to run that freight than a guy they may have to pay .39-45 cents to run it.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 PM

hmmmmm,
you know, sorry about my skeptical attitude, however it seems kind of strange that all of a sudden you are posting a link to a web site to purchase material about trucking scams and where to find the information to save you from this devastating event in a newbies life. I have no evidence of the sort and don't mean to be acusatory, but this is fishy if you ask me, kind of a coinky dink the the book's author lives just up the road from you... along with other things that just make it sound like you are spamming your business on this forum...
Who knows I could be wrong, but in todays day and age why spend up to $25 to learn about what you can find in one or two afternoons on the internet...

Sorry Sick of Driving but I am a little skeptical, Who are you driving for locally?

Timberwolf
Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I live south of Pinellas....and I've never had trouble finding a decent driving job. There are plenty of them out there.... It all depends on what you want and what your expectations are.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Board Regular
Default Companies hiring out of Florida

Hey SickofDriving,

There's a reefer Co out of the Orlando area run good Eq & do run there Trucks,If U know what I mean, W.T. Fellows is the Co name.I'm sure U can find them, I don't have a phone #, Family Bizz. !" 8)
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Yeah sorry but I probably shouldnt be posting links on here,my bad, I should follow the rules.you're right.
But Iv been working for a local airgas hazmat company down here in Tampa,fl they pay $19 an hour(it vary on hours etc but im getting 40 w/ some OT...I get to drive a straight truck which is nice,for a change.So I guess that doesnt make me a trucker, to all the super truckers on here.
I really think I should stay local these days because it works out better for me but this is a chat forum for drivers,forgive me for sharing info on here.Thanks for the other drivers sharing on other jobs around my area thx.Florida is new to me,only been here a few months. so I got what ever I could when I got here.Thank god,I was lucky.Maybe I should of mentioned that earlier.take care yall.