Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
My new theory is-- control the TIME I "give away"
headborg..............I always knew you were gonna come around. Now your talkin!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM

Hey headborg...you are sooo right. After my Shaffer days were finally over (enough fighting with J.R. and others) I get paid for ALL of my time. (Linehaul at night) This week my boss asked me if I could ADDITIONALLY pick some loads up BEFORE I do my linehaul run. I said: NO WAY, I am sick of sitting at the docks waiting for FREE. He said: Dont forget you are ON THE CLOCK and get any minute PAID. Hmmm....I REALLY forgot about that...I am still at SHAFFER in my head paywise. Hope you find something what pays better then Shaffer, but I dont think that will be easy.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I'm not going to get into any kind of argument with you...there is absolutely zero point in it. But I'll break it down for you one last time.

Living in Arkansas where you live, you would be out of the Olive Branch regional if regional is what you wanted. That fleet averaged around $52K per driver last year...top guy out of that terminal made around $62K. If you chose over the road, that fleet averaged around $62K and the top guy made $84K. Did he do that all on mileage pay? Heck no.

I have no need to make things up or inflate numbers. I'm on salary...I get nothing out of putting drivers aboard other than the satisfaction of knowing I did my job. So, I would much rather send a driver on down the road to another company than have him come in expecting something that is not in line with what we are.

That said, I'll say it again.

We are a short to medium haul company. We advertise as such and make no apologies for it. There is good money in short and medium haul freight....more than in the long haul market. That's why we're debt free and have so much money in reserve. That's also why our drivers were among the higher paid CPM drivers last year among other CPM fleets.

So, if you were running regional, with your experience you should have no problems averaging in the mid 50's or better for the year, when you put your mileage together with any accessorial pay that we have, be it layover, detention, driver unload, etc. etc. You'd have no problems averaging in the 60's as an OTR driver. Again, those are averages and if you're a better than average driver, you could certainly do better than the average.

IN the end, it's going to fall to you whether you are going to be successful or not, regardless of where you go. You say you're burnt out and your posts read like someone doing their level best to talk themselves out of doing what they are doing. If that's the case, why would you want to change from one regional/OTR company to another? Sure, we're different than Shaffer. Sure, there are things here that are better than Shaffer and likely things you like better with them than you would with us. Sure, you could make some good money here. But can you deal with it? Can you handle the dress code? The pet policy? The no inverter policy? The shorter runs that you're used to?

All those things you need to take into account. Maybe the change you need is toward something more local. If you're going to be unhappy making a change from Shaffer/Crete to Heartland, then why make the change? All I'm saying is be honest with yourself. If you make a change to a company that you're not going to be happy with, you're not doing yourself or your career any favors.

Anyway, I've said my last piece on the subject. You're all approved to come aboard over here at Heartland, but make sure you're doing what's best for you. I'd rather hire 1 happy driver than 10 unhappy ones. If you're unhappy, how successful can you be at your job, regardless of who you work for?

Things to think about.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

@ Twilight

how long does the currently approved status hold? before I would need to re-apply? I just had my dentist appointment-- and have a pre-treatment estimate in hand.

I'm gonna have to make one more dentist visit before I can afford to make a change of scenery--

I'm still looking at all these pro's and con's--

Heartlands- Regional is attractive compared to Shaffer's(current OTR)

your no haz-mat required is a plus
your personal dispatch is preferred over Zone.

you guys are equal in most other aspects-

no inverters
once again( I don't give a rat's rear- about Pet Policy!- I have no pet)

I wouldn't let an inch of hair stand in my way- although it reminds me of JBHUNT 14 years ago.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#16

Sayre, Ok
Malvern, Pa
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Terre Haute, In( relay )
Springfield, Mo

2596 paid miles- 6 days

Well, Shaffer/Crete came through for me again-- Made the dentist appointment and now Home....thanks to Carol( IL & WI zone dispatch & with the help of Crete) Yes, it was a Crete- Lowe's load out of North Vernon, In that made the whole thing possible. This is the second time this year that Carol has "personally" taken care of me and "fixed" a situaton- the first being Not getting to drop a load in Indy until she assumed control of that board(saturday)--- and doing the T-call then bouncing me up to Chicago for a load of Ice cream bound for Washington.
This is only about the third time in 3 years-- a Crete load has been called in to rescue me- or make something happen for me. But, it does mean alot to me. I've read here where other drivers have had problems getting home with Crete/Shaffer-- but to day I have to continue to contend-- getting home has never been a problem for ME here. Then again I've very Vocal about the issue.

BlueBeetle claims that this new zone dispatch is an improvement over the old 'shaffer' personal dispatch system-- something about the old system having 3 layers to go thru? I guess- there could be something to that-- from his perspective-- from the internal workings( he's in the office) where as I don't really know the internal workings -- I just have to live with the results... I rate- smoother working as myself having to do less "communicating" to get the desired result--- so, now having to go through 3-4 zone dispatchers seems "harder" than "easier".
I guess the only real test would be for me to just enter my next home time in the system and set back and "quietly" observe where I'm at on that date
I was suppose to be home.

Dentist Appointment:

Discovered today--according to Parodontist Assistant/Accounting--- that
Crete/Shaffer's Dental Plan is most excellent-- she claims that most dental insurance benefit limit is $1,000 a year. Shaffer/Crete - Delta Dental? yearly benefit limit is $1,500. Now, too bad my pre-treatment estimate is 2,000 +.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member

April Totals: (3 days work remaining)

week1- 2370
week2- 3059
week3- 2454
week4- 2596

total= 10479

maybe( 800 more) Monday-Wednesday

6 days home this month??? I need to review that?

this isn't even what I would consider a "normal" month--- you can't operate in an adversarial manner and call these numbers typical-- I mean, I went home cleaned out my truck and came back ready to turn in the truck at the next pot-hole in the road, then because I forgot to "reset" my home time( after the drive-by(3day-soul searching) got a load to West Coast, then reset & refused another Non-productive run- ran back east-- then this dentist appointment( which required them to "perform")
Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I am glad that you were able to get home.

I guess being in the office and seeing the drivers that work the system over here (miles/hometime/productivity) and then after spending some time with what Shaffer has to go through (went recruiting with a Shaffer Terminal Manager), talking with the recruiters for Shaffer, I hope that the new changes will allow for ALL of our drivers to stay productive and the company can continue to grow and take care of ALL of its employees.

Stay safe!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

week1- 2370
week2- 3059
week3- 2454
week4- 2596

total= 10479

6 days home this month??? I need to review that?

this isn't even what I would consider a "normal" month--- you can't operate in an adversarial manner and call these numbers typical-- I mean, I went home cleaned out my truck and came back ready to turn in the truck at the next pot-hole in the road, then because I forgot to "reset" my home time( after the drive-by(3day-soul searching) got a load to West Coast, then reset & refused another Non-productive run- ran back east-- then this dentist appointment( which required them to "perform")
Are you satisfied with those numbers? For me they would be barely adequate. I've got to hit at least 11000/month b4 I'm somewhat satisfied. Not happy, but satisfied.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:

week1- 2370
week2- 3059
week3- 2454
week4- 2596

total= 10479

7.5 days home this month??? I need to review that?

Are you satisfied with those numbers? For me they would be barely adequate. I've got to hit at least 11000/month b4 I'm somewhat satisfied. Not happy, but satisfied.

@ KJ

First of all, on another topic-- I hope the mods can do some simple "cleanup" and delete that whole last page of posts over at Evertruckerr's Thread-- and can get that back open soon.

I can "live with" 10,000 miles a month-- it's not what I really like to "cheer" about-- I'd love to have 3000 miles every week for 12,000 a month-- when I started this thread it wasn't in hopes that the situation here at Shaffer was going to go in the toilet-- last year I was out west running "miles" almost every other week... but, the situation has changed....
my ideal target is 3,200 miles a week-- more than that( with reefer) is really hard to obtain EVERY week.
I ran for Westside Transport( dry Van) ( Short- Medium Haul)(Forced Dispatch)( Zone Dispatch) for 4 years and because of the short haul/forced dispatch/zone dispatch---- 10,000 total was about all ANY driver could reasonably expect( and be home that month)---
and that was really "hard work" with 7-8 short trips working irregular hours trying to get them all to add up to 2,800+( remember if you're going to still be home 3 days) those other 3 weeks need to be "good" to make up for the short(HOME) week.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member

got my haz-mat finger painting done today-- now that I've shown what a "team player" I am-- I'm now waiting for the phone to ring....seems they got a driver picking up a load of Chicken Parts down in Texas(guessing it's chicken parts- what else do the make in Winnsboro, Tx- anyway, poor fellow lives in Texarkana(100 miles away) so they are gonna have him run it 100 miles past his house and relay it to me in Benton, Ar-- then I'm gonna get a 1200 mile run to (You guessed it- Pa) Now- the actual appointment isn't until Next WEEK( cus after all-- they set these things way out to make sure they can get them covered) But, I've been told-- they start receiving SUNDAY NOON--- so, I'll only have to be setting in PA for Saturday + Half a day Sunday--Wow! Business as Usual--- then I could probably cover a short New England load( sunday evening) then probably be told Monday there's no freight in New England.... my reward for taking a week off -- another full week of under- employment. Oh well, as long as the TRUCK is making money. Hey, and my truck is due a A-service so maybe I'll just get that scheduled right away-- that will "keep me busy" for a day and a half-- unfortunately doesn't really make me much $$$$.

But I got my haz-mat started.....like a good little boy. Now, I'll shortly gonna be a even more MARKETABLE experienced driver.