User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Linde/ Boc Gas

Well these people are next on my hit list.
http://www.bocjobs.com/drivers/Default.asp?ContentID=2

Anybody got any info. I filled out like a mini job app. They said someone we call me in the next 48hrs.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Board Regular
Default Linde....

I work for Linde out of the Sacramento plant. The pay is good, but we are union. You work 5 days on and have 2 consecutive days off. You will train (at bottom scale-raise after 6 months-full scale after one year) for about 3 weeks with a trainer. You will learn the safe handling and loading/unloading of liquid nitrogen, oxygen, argon, hydrogen and possibly helium and whatever else the plant you are applying at makes/sells. After training you will be put on a night start (anywhere from 12PM to 9PM) with 2 days off during the week. We do short and long line work also and you will stay in company provided hotels (such as Holiday Inn-Marriots, no Motel 6 crap). They are very safety oriented, all trucks run the XATA computer system and they will get on you for speed limit violations. Other than that, they are a pretty good, fair company to work for. Very stable and seem to be "pro-driver". So far, I like it. And Linde is one of the few decent companies that is still hiring.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred View Post
I work for Linde out of the Sacramento plant. The pay is good, but we are union. You work 5 days on and have 2 consecutive days off. You will train (at bottom scale-raise after 6 months-full scale after one year) for about 3 weeks with a trainer. You will learn the safe handling and loading/unloading of liquid nitrogen, oxygen, argon, hydrogen and possibly helium and whatever else the plant you are applying at makes/sells. After training you will be put on a night start (anywhere from 12PM to 9PM) with 2 days off during the week. We do short and long line work also and you will stay in company provided hotels (such as Holiday Inn-Marriots, no Motel 6 crap). They are very safety oriented, all trucks run the XATA computer system and they will get on you for speed limit violations. Other than that, they are a pretty good, fair company to work for. Very stable and seem to be "pro-driver". So far, I like it. And Linde is one of the few decent companies that is still hiring.
Did ya catch that Mackman! LOL!

I dont know Fred, Mackman dont do weekends!:hellno: :rofl:
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
Did ya catch that Mackman! LOL!

I dont know Fred, Mackman dont do weekends!:hellno: :rofl:
Guess that ends getting a job with them, Mackman. Who's next on the list?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Board Regular
Unhappy Linde and weekends

I should clarify my post. You CAN get weekends off@Linde, however schedules (even at the non-union plants) are all bid every 6 months by seniority. Naturally, if you start off at the "bottom" you will not get the worlds best schedule. That said, as time passes and you build up seniority you can bid the better schedules. I only took it because my retirement package covers only my healthcare and I found buying "outside" health insurance for my spouse and remaining kids was just too expensive. It was just easier to go back to work and use Linde's healthcare. SO much for the "Golden Years"......I should add that if you work a holiday, you get paid at time and a half, PLUS Linde automatically adds an extra 12 hours onto your payroll at the end of the week. Holiday is voluntary, however if you are at the "bottom of the board".......I probably should have stayed@UPS, but what did I know about the economy going south just as I retired ? And what I'd REALLY like to know is: What ever happened to GFIW ??? They seem to have dis-appeared...

Last edited by feederfred; 10-29-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

hey feederfred thanks for the info. I applied at claymount del.

Do they pay by the hr.??
Strating out do you have to work every weekend??

If they do pay by the hr. OT after 40/hr or 8.

Thanks
Mackman

BTW double R i will let everyone now what companys i will be looking at. I will find something worth my time.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Board Regular
Talking

Since that is an established plant, more than likely most of the "weekend off" gigs are long gone. Make sure you ask the Distribution manager during your interview. The industrial gas business runs 24/7/365. It's hard to tell a hospital thats running out of oxygen"Hey, could you tell all your patients on respirators to hold their breath until Monday morning"? Most everyone does nights/weekends until you get some seniority. After the interview is a computerized "honesty test", DOT physical including a drug screen that covers 20 legal/illegal/prescription and over the counter drugs, a stringent background investigation that can usually take 2 weeks and a 90 minute road test in a loaded tanker. As far as pay it's kind of odd. It's all based on your hourly rate and time. Lets say a trip should take 4 hours according to Linde. After you get familiar with the job and the customers you can easily do it in 3. You get paid for 4.If when you are new and something should happen at a customer(locked gates, waiting, blocked tanks etc. it's all on the clock IN ADDITION to the "trip pay", for lack of a better term. You can actually work 10 hours and get paid for 14. Some plants are union and pay straight hourly. Ours pays OT after 40 and double on all holidays. Safety meetings, breakdowns, loading and unloading are all on the clock and some runs are always paid on a straight hourly basis. It sounds weird I know, but I'm making basically the same money I was making at UPS and working less for it. Hooking up a 12 pound hose, opening several valves and hit the PTO switch and relax. We all have lawn chairs and read a lot of newspapers while unloading. Benefeits are excellent, several choices for medical/dental/vision 401K (with an excellent match) and the Linde pension are part of it. As far as OT in Delaware, I don't know, we pay over 40, but thats just our contract. Make sure you ask lots of questions. BTW, you will train for 2-3 weeks at full pay and you are always guaranteed 40 hours per week. Oh and you will get issued uniforms(much better than that "Brown" stuff I wore all those years) jackets and a full set of credit cards for linehaul work, plus all safety gear is provided by Linde. We drive the infamous "13 letter manure spreaders" 10 speeds with the Cummins IMX, but they are switching to CATS this year. Governed on the pedal@70 on the cruise at 67, but the a/c works and they have built in Sirius/CD players and power everything. You do slip-seat though. Some Freightliners, but not many. If you do a linehaul, they usually give you one of the Pro-sleepers, but since we stay in hotels, it's usually just good for naps.....Anything else, just ask. Hope this helps. They are fair, seem to be quite honest and during driver appreciation week, I actually got tired of the BBQ's and free catered lunches every day for a week, plus every day they were giving us something, luggage, briefcases, flashlights, thought it was frigging Christmas..Brown always told me I was just lucky "to be here and get a check".....kind of different. Linde actually seems to like drivers..

Last edited by feederfred; 10-30-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Fred...Yer working awfully hard, fer a guy who retired. :clap::clap::bow:
Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Board Regular

Is the Sac yard still needing drivers...been looking for a new gig for a while now and no luck yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred View Post
Since that is an established plant, more than likely most of the "weekend off" gigs are long gone. Make sure you ask the Distribution manager during your interview. The industrial gas business runs 24/7/365. It's hard to tell a hospital thats running out of oxygen"Hey, could you tell all your patients on respirators to hold their breath until Monday morning"? Most everyone does nights/weekends until you get some seniority. After the interview is a computerized "honesty test", DOT physical including a drug screen that covers 20 legal/illegal/prescription and over the counter drugs, a stringent background investigation that can usually take 2 weeks and a 90 minute road test in a loaded tanker. As far as pay it's kind of odd. It's all based on your hourly rate and time. Lets say a trip should take 4 hours according to Linde. After you get familiar with the job and the customers you can easily do it in 3. You get paid for 4.If when you are new and something should happen at a customer(locked gates, waiting, blocked tanks etc. it's all on the clock IN ADDITION to the "trip pay", for lack of a better term. You can actually work 10 hours and get paid for 14. Some plants are union and pay straight hourly. Ours pays OT after 40 and double on all holidays. Safety meetings, breakdowns, loading and unloading are all on the clock and some runs are always paid on a straight hourly basis. It sounds weird I know, but I'm making basically the same money I was making at UPS and working less for it. Hooking up a 12 pound hose, opening several valves and hit the PTO switch and relax. We all have lawn chairs and read a lot of newspapers while unloading. Benefeits are excellent, several choices for medical/dental/vision 401K (with an excellent match) and the Linde pension are part of it. As far as OT in Delaware, I don't know, we pay over 40, but thats just our contract. Make sure you ask lots of questions. BTW, you will train for 2-3 weeks at full pay and you are always guaranteed 40 hours per week. Oh and you will get issued uniforms(much better than that "Brown" stuff I wore all those years) jackets and a full set of credit cards for linehaul work, plus all safety gear is provided by Linde. We drive the infamous "13 letter manure spreaders" 10 speeds with the Cummins IMX, but they are switching to CATS this year. Governed on the pedal@70 on the cruise at 67, but the a/c works and they have built in Sirius/CD players and power everything. You do slip-seat though. Some Freightliners, but not many. If you do a linehaul, they usually give you one of the Pro-sleepers, but since we stay in hotels, it's usually just good for naps.....Anything else, just ask. Hope this helps. They are fair, seem to be quite honest and during driver appreciation week, I actually got tired of the BBQ's and free catered lunches every day for a week, plus every day they were giving us something, luggage, briefcases, flashlights, thought it was frigging Christmas..Brown always told me I was just lucky "to be here and get a check".....kind of different. Linde actually seems to like drivers..
Thanks alot for all the great info. But overall it doesnt look like a place for me. I like real hourly pay. ( i cant lose). What happens if it takes you longer. Like if you hit a snow storm or something???

What is the hourly pay???

They havent called me yet. But when they do i will find out all the info about claymont yard.