User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CFI Fiasco

Hubby and I went to CFI in Joplin for their orientation last Monday. We were rather excited as we'd heard only good about these guys from drivers on the road.

Apparently there are some new things going on there (since the buyout by Conway? not sure) but I'll tell ya, it was a nightmare!

First day, get in class; instructor up on podium talking *at* us. No introduction, no "glad you're here"; very cold and verging on rude. "Don't dare be late to class; we're watching your every move, wear your name tag (so they know who you are?), do what we say, don't ask too many questions - questions later; we are pressed for time, rush rush rush. They may pull some of you out of class - *the boom*?

Hubby and I were looking at each other within a half hour thinking "uh oh" what did we do?

Pee test time, and then out of class, out to their *range*. They bragged to us that their range is the same one used in the World Truck Driving Championships! Well, I don't know about you, but hubby and I weren't and aren't interested in being *champions*. We are both good drivers, no tickets, no accidents, no incidents in three years. We pride ourselves on our record.

These guys apparently don't give a rat's patootie about your safety record unless it's bad - then you're gone. <huh???????>

So, we are given a FAST rushed walk-through of this range/course and then told we will each drive it. NO stopping (except on the simulated scale for measurements and the other two places they measure where you put the nose of tractor and DOT bumper of trailer). Okay, not tough right? They tell us we will be scored, don't tell us what a passing score is or what any of it will actually mean.

Keep in mind this is the first thing we are doing here at this company. We are looking around at each other going - "huh?". All 18 of us had 2 or more years of experience. We all know how to drive.

So, one by one we go through this thing. It's a stop on simulated scale (measure), do a 3 part serpentine around barrels, do a hard right turn (missing the fence that makes it super tight - but it is doable), go through an offset alley, then stop with nose on the line, then stop with DOT bumper on the line, then a hard right, go straight, put your nose right into a super tight left turn (90 degree followed by another 90 degree), then around a barrel to the right, then another left and around and back to the start. Sounds easy right? RIIIIIGHT! :roll:

Out of 18 of us, one (my husband) scored a 69, one scored a 62, and another got a 63, and one a 50. The rest of us scored in the 30s. I personally scored a 39. I was 5th or 6th I think out of 18 people. They wouldn't tell us the passing score, so we were all standing around going "HUH?"

Then we did backing. Easy, piece of cake. It's set up so that when you turn the corner to the right, you're perfectly set up to back (sight side) into the slot. Okay, no problems there. Most of us scored near 100 (they told us 100 was the top score possible). Two of the people didn't get the backing. Tried twice, were pulled off the truck. Okay, well we *do* have to know how to back up don't we? That part made sense.

Then next day, physicals and trip planning, and then road test time. We all did well to excellent. The scores were given to us then too but keep in mind we know NOTHING about what it all means. Everyone passed that part.

Both days were LONG. First day like 10 hours, second day like 11 hours. We were whipped and dipped by then.

Third day, more paperwork in the morning, benefits, etc. Then Smith System (they're big on it which is a good thing in my opinion). Anyway, during the Smith lecture, one by one people are being called out of class, taken to Safety and being told they are gone. So, when my turn came, I followed the guy up to Safety and that guy tells me "Sorry you missed the range by ONE point. You needed a 40". He comments on how excellent my other scores were, but you needed to pass that range. You can reapply in six months. <as if.....LOL>

So I went back to class, gave them back their nifty name tag and hubby followed me outside. He declined their job needless to say....what's he gonna do? Go without me? I don't think so.

To make a long story short, out of 18 people there were two left of which one would have been my husband. So out of 18 they had one guy left when we departed.

Go to the hotel (and to their credit it was a nice Holiday Inn) and checked out and bailed. One other couple told me that the head of recruiting was calling and saying "I need to get you people out of there". We didn't get such a call, we just left.

The thing that got me was WHY on earth wait until day THREE to tell us all this? We wasted a bunch of money and time going there. If they'd have told us day one, we could have left without going through all that other b.s.

The weird thing is - on Day two when we got back to the hotel, someone (from CFI?) had placed a ballcap on our pillows with a cookie and their newsletter. HUH???????? If they knew we were gone - why bother with all this junk?

We were told they'd reimburse us for our gas down (up to price of a bus ticket) and of course we got none of that. We did get the $25 a day for two of the days.

Anyway, my opinion of CFI?

BE AFRAID......BE VERY AFRAID.

Perhaps this is all because of the changes with Conway taking them over - don't know - but even Recruiting seemed surprised at what happened to us. Maybe the newbies there have it better - don't know - but man, the whole experience is like a bad dream to us.

'Nuff said.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member

i heard that Joplin Orientation is brutal but maybe you should have went to another terminal for orientation. I went to the Denton, Tx for oreintation and had a blast. great food, great instruction, and a low class size. there was 3 of use than 1 left on the first day. he failed his physical. whenever i was at the joplin terminal i was scared of the backing/driving range.

sorry about your luck hope it gets better
Old 11-16-2007, 03:15 PM

You failed to meet their minimum standards and were not offered a job. It's certainly not the fault of CFI that you failed on the driving range.

Does it suck that they waited until day 3 to tell you no? You bet.

Most companies pull people out of orientation right up until the end.

The last orientation I went through started with 22 people. 8 made it to the last day. The safety dudes came in and started handing out driver qualification cards at the very end of orientation and 3 more were pulled out before their names were called. Yeah, they were pissed. Yeah, it sucks in a bad way when a company does that. But, it's not the companies fault that the drivers did not qualify.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

I've also heard some nightmarish things about CFI's training in Joplin. Maybe they'll loosen up in the future. You might wanna consider Schneider National as a company. I've heard nothing but good things about them. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Rookie

Yes that damn range is a nightmare. I did it for fun one day. If you do orientation somewhere other than joplin then you dont have to worry about the range, they just take you out on a road test.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Senior Board Member

The passing score is 40 out of 120, in case anyone is wondering. Make of that whatever you will.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Board Regular

If that coarse is as bad ad everyone says it is...how in the world do people fresh out of school get jobs there? I must be seeing drivers that came from other terminals because for the most part I haven't seen many drivers CFI drivers in the north east that could pass a coarse as tough as that one.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
The passing score is 40 out of 120, in case anyone is wondering. Make of that whatever you will.
I scored a 108 on that range.... 8)

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. But in all fairness, I never had problems there....beyond getting peeved at a planner on an occasion or two.

Even when I went through orientation back in 97'....they didn't coddle prospective drivers....it was pretty cut and dried....all business. Back then you paid your way there, and if you didn't make the cut...you paid your way home. So in a fashion they are being somewhat gracious in that they are paying something for travel, and your time.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

My 2 cents worth;

13.5 years ago- I went to CFI orientation and failed their Road Test. I had 6 months of OTR solo experience driving a JBHunt cab-over. I had never driven a "hood" much less a 9 speed OD. They hated me "comparing" them to JB- but that was my only reference point. Then he gave me the "bad" news and told me I needed to go back to "their" school( he thought I had just came from "their" school) for another week or so--that's when I knew I was in the wrong place. All that--- for .24 cents a mile---yes that was 13.5 years ago and I left JB at .21 cents a mile. And .24 cents back then for an experience(less than a year) driver was GOOD money Today, I'm happily making .465 cents per mile while I believe CFI's top pay is still somewhere in the mid .30?

I later learned that CFI cares more about their pretty red trucks than they do about their drivers...haven't you heard the stories about them firing drivers for scratching( scratching!) the paint with a low hanging tree limb! or the driver that rolled the truck on I-44 in the ice storm....when he called in from the truck(hanging upside down) they first asked "how the
truck was" and weren't really concerned about his injuries( Drivers are easily replaceable). They used to not even have an 'open door' policy there...if you wanted to speak to your dispatcher....you had to wait in their
'bull pen' and call your dispatcher out of the 'war room'.

The reason you weren't let go of as soon as you "failed" the Range test is....because there is not any real pass/fail grade...it's all subjective designed to give them an 'easy out'. They weren't ready to 'weed' you out yet. That's how these large companies play the game....the recruiter is only interested in getting "butts" in the orientation room....they 'weed' out over the course of the 'orientation' . This makes these types of companies a 'risky prop' for hiring on at...especially if you're planning on quiting your present Employer to go hire on there( as well as the time and $$ you waste going and jumping through their 'hoops' just to get 'weeded' out because they "over booked" that week's orientation by a few 'head' of cattle and don't have the available Trucks.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

wow it makes me excited to try this course.
I might apply just to get a score them tell them I changed my mind.