User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What's your take on Werner for a new driver?

After some extensive surfing I see lots of horror stories about nearly every company out there. How about Werner??
I just got my class A license. Werner is now offering an "Apprenticeship" program for military veterans......long story short.....I do the normal new driver training/orientation and get paid normal "training pay" BUT, I also get paid $1050 tax free per month from the VA for using my Army GI bill.
How is Werner for training?? Is it really that bad?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

VTwin
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 PM

OHHHHHHH Lawd!!!!!!!!

Put them in the search feature and you will see all you need to know
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Where do I begin?? I used to drive and train for Werner. Send me a email and I will give you some details!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Werner is fine for training, but as soon as your training is up, you should do one 2-3 week period out with them and then move on to a company that is willing to pay you for the job you do. I trained with Werner and worked for them solo for 3 months. Then I realized I was driving 3000 miles a week and making 600 dollars. That didn't add up to me. Their equipment is a joke on the east coast. You may get better equipment if you live east of Ohio. I also got a bad attitude from everyone at all of their terminals. They are very condescending.

There's a reason they reimburse tuition monthly at $100/month....they try to get drivers to stay with them thinking "if I leave, I won't get reimbursed for my tuition." LEAVE.

After I was with Werner I started working for JB Hunt. JB Hunt is a company that will not pay you well if you aren't willing to work. I've been with JB for 4 months now and have made $976, $945, and $1044 my last 3 weeks on the road. You probably won't do well with JB if you plan to drive for 2 weeks and go home either.

But yeh, Werner is fine for training, but that's about it. The only positive thing I can say about Werner is they will get you to all 48 states, but for 26 cents a mile, it's hardly worth it. I'm making double at JB and driving 500 less miles per week.

Go with Werner for training and then look elsewhere to start your career.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

:roll:
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
:roll:
Don't just roll your eyes. Tell me how you think making 26 cents a mile is good for a truck driver, let alone the industry. Then tell me how you think it's safe for a driver with 6 months experience to train a rookie driver. Please, I'm all ears.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARM
Werner is fine for training, but as soon as your training is up, you should do one 2-3 week period out with them and then move on to a company that is willing to pay you for the job you do.
Nice advice. :roll: If you have no intention to put forth an effort to stay at a comapny then don't work there at all.

Quote:
After I was with Werner I started working for JB Hunt. JB Hunt is a company that will not pay you well if you aren't willing to work. I've been with JB for 4 months now and have made $976, $945, and $1044 my last 3 weeks on the road. You probably won't do well with JB if you plan to drive for 2 weeks and go home either.
That's a first. Leave Werner and go to JBH. Put your time in with Werner and go work for a real company like Crete, NOT JB Hunt.

Quote:
You probably won't do well with JB if you plan to drive for 2 weeks and go home either.
Or, you can get your experience by staying at Werner and then get on with a company that you DON'T need to stay out more than two weeks to make money with.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Werner is fine for training, but as soon as your training is up, you should do one 2-3 week period out with them and then move on to a company that is willing to pay you for the job you do.
Nice advice. :roll: If you have no intention to put forth an effort to stay at a comapny then don't work there at all.
A company like Crete or JB Hunt will not hire you without 3 months experience. There is a reason companies like Werner and Schneider are known as "starter companies." Gotta get your training somewhere.

Quote:
Quote:
That's a first. Leave Werner and go to JBH. Put your time in with Werner and go work for a real company like Crete, NOT JB Hunt.
Where in my post did I tell him to work for JB Hunt? I posted my experience with JB Hunt (another company besides Werner...that I went to after my experience with Werner). I didn't, thanks. You've got so much anti-JB Hunt fire in your eyes that you apparently can't even read posts properly. Get over it, some of us are happy with JB. I didn't tell him to work for JB Hunt though, I could care if he works for them...I'm trying to give him advice as someone who trained with and worked with Werner for 6 months.

Quote:
Quote:
You probably won't do well with JB if you plan to drive for 2 weeks and go home either.
Or, you can get your experience by staying at Werner and then get on with a company that you DON'T need to stay out more than two weeks to make money with.
I can go work for Crete if I want. Or another company. I'm happy where I am. Maybe one day I'll be unhappy about where I am and go work for them.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
What the hell am I doing wrong? Im begging for miles everyday. Im with JB in case you didnt know...3 weeks pay is $564 $364 and I havent got this check yet but it will be around $350. Now dont go saying that Im not willing to run. Thats bullshit cause im literally begging for miles every morning. You know what I get pped for a 200 mile trip for a 2nd day del. Im getting so pissed its not even funny. Im staying out for a month and at this rate I should be able to afford to buy my kids a package of hotdogs. Now go take if your not willing to run bullshit somewhere else because I am willing.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighteremtb78
Quote:
What the hell am I doing wrong? Im begging for miles everyday. Im with JB in case you didnt know...3 weeks pay is $564 $364 and I havent got this check yet but it will be around $350. Now dont go saying that Im not willing to run. Thats bullshit cause im literally begging for miles every morning. You know what I get pped for a 200 mile trip for a 2nd day del. Im getting so pissed its not even funny. Im staying out for a month and at this rate I should be able to afford to buy my kids a package of hotdogs. Now go take if your not willing to run bullshit somewhere else because I am willing.
Well I'm glad you're willing to run. That's the first thing you need.

I've learned a few tricks with JB...

set your ETA as early as possible, before 10am is best.

when you get your load information, put the hammer down. Don't waste time in truck stops, just get there as soon as you possibly can. Most appointments are BS and they will take your load early. Ask your fleet manager if he/she can make your appointment earlier if you can be there earlier. But basically, if you have a window of 1400-2000 for delivery and you can be there by 1400, be there by 1400. The quicker you're empty, the quicker you're on to your next load.

Don't refuse any loads...I've gotten 3 shitty runs in a row followed by 1000+ mile runs. You'll get a good one eventually.

But honestly, if you're doing all that and still having problems making money, tell them you want a new fleet manager. JB has a lot to do with your fleet manager, and I think mine is pretty good.

I'm on pace to make $40-45k this year...I think that's pretty good for a rookie driver.

Is this your first 3 weeks with them? My first 3 weeks sucked too. I only made about $500/week...but since then I've made about 900 every week for 3 3 week stints out now.

Hope it works for you...but this thread is about Werner...don't want to be painted as a JB Hunt spammer, sorry if I come off that way...