User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Kenan fuel tankers

I was filling my car up with some gas at a HESS station earlier, when I noticed a Kenan fuel tanker pull in. That gave me a thought, "What kind of money do these guys make? It looks like a pretty easy job"

A little history about myself, I'm 24 and I have been driving for 2.5 years with a dry van company, clean record. Have my tanker/hazmat endoresments.

Can anyone tell me what the pay is like for this company, and if there are any negatives in doing this type of driving?

Thanks

mark
Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Board Regular

My cousin is a dispatcher there and I have a neighboor who also works there as one of the head guys , doing what I'm not exactly sure . For drivers there pay is okay , at least starting at , something like $14 an hour and then quickly moving up . They are always advertising , at least in this area . It's home everyday , I know you work at least some weekeds . I'm sure I can get more info if you'd like .
Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
My cousin is a dispatcher there and I have a neighboor who also works there as one of the head guys , doing what I'm not exactly sure . For drivers there pay is okay , at least starting at , something like $14 an hour and then quickly moving up . They are always advertising , at least in this area . It's home everyday , I know you work at least some weekeds . I'm sure I can get more info if you'd like .
$14.00/hr to haul that stew around!?!? And new guys get the night-shift and weekends at most gashaulers. No wonder they're always advertising. Do you know what top-rate is over there, Smooth?

Mark, give Flying J a call if you want to haul local fuel. Top-notch equipment and it's all diesel so less worries about meeting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse on your run. Plus it's mostly in-house deliveries to Flying J truckstops, which are right off the freeway and made for big trucks. Gashaulers get to shoe-horn that truck into convience stores in the ghetto where nobody speaks a lick of English. And getting shanked or heldup at knife/gunpoint is always a distinct possibility.

But some pay you for all that trouble and other's don't. You couldn't get me to look at one of them tin cans for less than $25.00/hr.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Kenan has, over the last 12 years, managed to become the largest nationwide carrier of Gasoline. They did it through acquisitions of other Carriers. Each of the Carriers they purchased are operated as independant company's.

Here is their website; http://www.thekag.com/

http://www.thekag.com/employment.asp

http://www.thekag.com/facilities.asp
Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Gas jockey sounds like to much work for such low pay, I'll stick to pulling my SS smooth bore caustic thermos.
Pulling bleach isn't bad either. :wink:
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Rookie

Well, I called up the tampa, FL terminal and they told me the starting pay is $20 an hour. You work 10-12 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Starting you'd be on nights/weekends.

Anyone think this is a good job to have? Any experienced fuel haulers that can give me some pros/cons for the job?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Delivering fuel to C-stores is what you make of it.

16 years delivering in Seattle Metro area, Western and Central WA.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Rookie

How hard is the job? Do you have to sit outside the truck in the shitty rain and cold weather for the unloading process? How does the fuel come off the truck? With a pump? Isn't it severely unhealthy breathing in those gasses all day?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Board Regular

Hey MARK, who are you working for in Tampa right now? Why not look in to Southeast freight, or someone like that? My only concern with fuel hauling is it just takes one mistake, not even by you, but another careless driver, and it can be over just like that. I think a couple months ago they had a fuel hauler explode up there near gibsonton, and not too long ago up near where i live in brooksville a Florida Rock tanker truck driver was killed when i believe he fell asleep at the wheel. Me personally, i just can't convince myself to take those kind of risks, especially with the goons running up and down 75 around tampa, i run through there everyday hauling sod, and i know i'd be on pins and needles if that was fuel in the trailer behind me.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersod215
Hey MARK, who are you working for in Tampa right now? Why not look in to Southeast freight, or someone like that? My only concern with fuel hauling is it just takes one mistake, not even by you, but another careless driver, and it can be over just like that. I think a couple months ago they had a fuel hauler explode up there near gibsonton, and not too long ago up near where i live in brooksville a Florida Rock tanker truck driver was killed when i believe he fell asleep at the wheel. Me personally, i just can't convince myself to take those kind of risks, especially with the goons running up and down 75 around tampa, i run through there everyday hauling sod, and i know i'd be on pins and needles if that was fuel in the trailer behind me.
Well I work over in Auburndale right now (polk county area) but I don't mind driving to tampa. The company is called CCC Transportation, also known as Commercial Carrier Corporation. They're the #1 intrastate company in FL and also the #1 worst paying. I average $11-12 an hour and so I have to work 6 days a week to earn a living.

That's true, there is an added risk, but if I'm hauling that stuff, i'd make DAMN sure to get plenty of rest so that I would be fully alert and I would not pass out behind the wheel. I have been driving 2.5 years and I have never pushed myself to where I've passed out while driving. If it's true they pay $20 an hour I'd go for it. I just want to make a decent living, you know?

Southeastern freight, it's funny you mentioned them - I already filled out an application, I think they make around $20 an hour too. They have to bust their ass doing lumper/driving work, but I don't mind that, I'm 24 and i'm in shape - no problemo! Just waiting to hear back from them, I doubt I'll hear anything though.