Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: Scam of the Covenant

  1. #1
    sunset is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Binghamton NY
    Posts
    59

    Default Scam of the Covenant

    When I first began looking for a company to start trucking in I read this forum and was under the impression that most people are just disgruntled over some reason or another and didnt pay much attention to all the complaints because I wanted to find out for myself - first hand what the problems were that people were describing.

    Before considering Covenant Transport as your first job or at any time in your trucking career let me shed some light on them from a person who has been there.

    TRUTH REVEALED: When you get to orientation some of the things you may be surprised to find is that they will reveal all the extra charges that you as a driver are responsible for.

    TIRES: If you have a blow out or any damage to a tire it is the responsibily of the driver to return this tire otherwise they will charge you $100.

    ACCIDENTS: If you are in an accident and it is deemed your fault you will be charged $500. This money is not necessarily used to repair the vehicle. It is just an arbitrary charge - a possible income for Covenant Transport?

    I had a fender bender. The truck was never repaired. No estimate was ever made. The company pocketed $500 on my misfortune.

    BREAKING THE LAW: Now if this was an isolated incident I may not mention it at all. Unforfortunately the trainers of Covenant are there for one reason and that is to make money off of YOU - the trainee. They do not teach backing and if they do it is to a limited degree - just enough to get the trainee to pass the final Covenant backing test. The trainers will take over from day one and will run you illegally. Yep that's right. You'll be driving 5 and 5. You'll log along with the trainer haphazardly to hide any inconsistancies. Happened to me, my brother, my class mates, his class mates. Federal offenses violated day after day after day. Is anyone ever caught? Of course they are. This information came from a DOT officer when they stopped me for a random check of my log books. I was fortunate enough to have been done with my training by then and was logging correctly.

    BUYING COMPANY EQUIPMENT: There are some states in the west that require all trucks to carry chains on the truck at all times. If the chain law goes into effect and you dont have them, whammo!! A big fat ticket to the driver. Covenant does not carry these on their trucks and when you are dispatched to an area that requires them you will be sent a request over the qualcom to buy them yourself. This is whopping $300 or more. Company drivers buy the company equipment.

    SOLO DRIVERS: Good luck if you intend to run solo. Once you are out of your 30 day training team you will be hard pressed to get off the truck. They want teams. They can pay teams much less and do everthying in their power to keep teams together.

    PAY: Running with your trainer will net you a whopping 13 cpm!! After that you'll get 19 unless you can break out of the team and go solo. My paychecks ranged anywhere from $200 - $300 per week. HUH? Youre asking!! Oh yeah. Dont fool yourself into thinking you'll do much better. If anyone's intested, I'll post all exact amounts I made for month after month right here for the world to see.

    DRIVER SUPPORT: None. Dont bother asking for answers. Dispatch is limited and severly handicapped when it comes to knowing much about the company, its seemingly random policies and they basically know nothing more than routing a truck from point A to point B.

    This is merely the begining of revealing the truth about this company. I tried to hold back on personal feelings and just give some of the facts, but I'll make sure to enlighten everyone on what they will be up against if they decide to put themselves through this road of financial ruin.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows it?

  2.  
  3. #2
    millersod215 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    329

    Default

    No offense, but i read your other post, and it kind of seems like you're the "disgruntled" ex employee. Most of the factors on your other post that led you to the conclusion of how horrible covenant is, is not uncommon ground with other carriers. Brining your tires back to the shop after they blow, or whatever is not uncommon, and what is the big deal? And the accidents, and having to pay some money, you should count your blessings that you were still employed after an accident, especially if it was your fault, 500 bucks in the long run ain't no big deal, you still have a job, i was at LCT and they had the same company policy. And your gripes about log books, honestly "whaaaa whaaaa", it happens everywhere, if it was such a big deal call safety or whomever to get the problem fixed, i hate to sound like a jerk, most of the time i don't post a foul comment on here, but look truckdriving isn't for everyone, maybe it's not for you, just sounds to me like you're looking for someone to place the blame on for your misguided attempts at OTR driving. Again, no offense, but your so called complaints are common place in OTR driving, just the nature of the game.

  4. #3
    Twilight Flyer's Avatar
    Twilight Flyer is offline The Bat Cave Board Icon
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,712

    Default

    Regarding the tires, I don't know of any carriers out there that don't require the blown tire or casing back at the shop. The reason?

    Proof that it was blown. :?

    Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's why they want to see it back. They want to know that the tire is on the side of the road as an alligator instead of on another truck.

  5. #4
    sunset is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Binghamton NY
    Posts
    59

    Default Um...did you miss the point?

    millersod215: sounds to me that you are the type of person who just rolls over and let them give it to ya any way they like. I know your type. The kind who does not have the guts to stand up and your only defense is - "but that's the way everyone does it". Come on man! Get a backbone!! You know why "everyone does it"? Cuz of attitudes like yours!! Get a spine or stay off my post.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows it?

  6. #5
    sunset is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Binghamton NY
    Posts
    59

    Default ok. I'll step back from the tires

    If everyone is upset about the info about tires, then I apologize. It was news for the newbies because noone tells you this at the offset. As far as everything else. I'm not disgruntled. I'm just sick of everyones "everyone does it so we should take it" attitude. Let everyone know how it really is.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows it?

  7. #6
    Deus is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
    Regarding the tires, I don't know of any carriers out there that don't require the blown tire or casing back at the shop. The reason?

    Proof that it was blown. :?

    Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's why they want to see it back. They want to know that the tire is on the side of the road as an alligator instead of on another truck.
    Plus if it was just a flat tire a service person coming out there may have to put a new tire on it but the old tire could be repaired or even sold. The service guy may just "assume" he can have the dead tire even though it is still worth something.

  8. #7
    millersod215 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Sunset, i honestly don't believe you've been around truckdriving long enough to know my "type". How long have you been driving? Me, well it's been 4 years, and i know by no means does that make me a senior trucker, but i'm the type of guy who listens up, and learns everything i can about this career i've made for myself. I'm 23, and have been at this since i graduated high school, i knew this was going to be my career, and in no way have i came in to this job without the "backbone" you so strongly feel i'm lacking. I've busted my ass, and worked hard everyday to get where i am, i've done both OTR and local and have found my niche with my local company. Just as the other poster said, there's nothing uncommon about the tire procedures, the accident procedures are not uncommon either, and you say you can post your "months" of low income, where was your "backbone" when you made the decission to continue working for 200 dollars a week. Anyway, i know you have your opinions, as do i, i just think your complaints on Covenant are nothing out of the ordinary with your run of the mill "newbie" companies, good luck finding a company that does not institute the same policies.

  9. #8
    Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans
    Posts
    4,982

    Default

    There are 2 reasons companies want the tires back when they are replaced on the road.

    1. Is to ensure that the tire really needed replacing and to try to determine the reason for the failure.

    2. They may get credit for the tire from the manufacturer depending on the age of the tire.

    As far as the charging you, financially for accidents, that is totally BS. I know some companies like to do this, and in many cases it is an illegal practice, but since many people do not know what labor codes really say, and since these laws vary a little state to state they figure they can get by with it.

    It can be a big PITA trying to get unlawfully deducted money back when you live in one state and the company is based in another.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

  10. #9
    kenworth75's Avatar
    kenworth75 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    105

    Default

    The reason alot of companies require the blowouts returned, is because the tire manufactorer gives companies a bulk rate on tires. The tire makers use lot numbers on tires to keep track of them, and get feedback from companies, much like they do in NASCAR. Alot of the tires either get retreads or shipped off to get recycled or made into asphalt.
    If you have complaints about a company, you should look at what you did or did not do to help the whole situation. Did you ask questions? Did you offer an alternative if the answer was not to your liking? Were you part of the problem rather than part of the solution? These things need to be looked into before making it known you are a disgruntled ex employee.
    "We will not waiver, we will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

  11. #10
    Useless is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,554

    Default

    As far as wanting the blown tires returned to them, hey!!; they pay for the tires, the tired belong to them, and if they want the blown tires back, it's their right to have them returned to them!!

    As far as the chains are concerned, I can see their point there. There are just too many drivers who will "reallocate" them when they leave. That kind of shrinkage gets expensive in a hurry!!

    As far as running illegaly as a trainee, welcome to the world of trucking!!! That is all to common a practice. Covenant is remiss for allowing it to happen, but so is just about every company out there.

    As far as pay, trainees with most companies don't make squat. Suck it up.

    As far as getting miles as a solo driver, the Covenant recruiter did inform me that they are primarily a "team driver" company.

    As far as Covenant is concerned, I learned a long tome ago to keep a very careful eye on my wallet when dealing with "Christian" based companies. As far as I'm concerned, they suck out loud.

    I applied with Covenant before I started driving. They were the first company that I applied to. They turned me down, offered no reason. Left me scratching my head. I had a clean driving record, no criminal history, and since I was self employed, and had a good work history, I never understood why; In the end, I found a much better company to drive for, so it was their loss and my gain!!

  12. #11
    Karnajj is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millersod215
    No offense, but i read your other post, and it kind of seems like you're the "disgruntled" ex employee. Most of the factors on your other post that led you to the conclusion of how horrible covenant is, is not uncommon ground with other carriers. Brining your tires back to the shop after they blow, or whatever is not uncommon, and what is the big deal? And the accidents, and having to pay some money, you should count your blessings that you were still employed after an accident, especially if it was your fault, 500 bucks in the long run ain't no big deal, you still have a job, i was at LCT and they had the same company policy. And your gripes about log books, honestly "whaaaa whaaaa", it happens everywhere, if it was such a big deal call safety or whomever to get the problem fixed, i hate to sound like a jerk, most of the time i don't post a foul comment on here, but look truckdriving isn't for everyone, maybe it's not for you, just sounds to me like you're looking for someone to place the blame on for your misguided attempts at OTR driving. Again, no offense, but your so called complaints are common place in OTR driving, just the nature of the game.
    You are way off base here buddy.. I've been driving for nearly 13 years and if any company tried to charge me $500 for an accident you would hear me yelling a 1000 miles away. And as far as log books are concerned, it doesn't happen everywhere. Certainly not at Crete it doesn't. Sounds to me that you are the child here.
    I'm willing to die to protect my Right to Bear Arms.

    Are you willing to die to take them away from me?

  13. #12
    Cluggy619's Avatar
    Cluggy619 is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Granbury, TX
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: Scam of the Covenant

    Quote Originally Posted by sunset
    When I first began looking for a company to start trucking in I read this forum and was under the impression that most people are just disgruntled over some reason or another and didnt pay much attention to all the complaints because I wanted to find out for myself - first hand what the problems were that people were describing.
    This is, was, and always shall be, a huge mistake. I know. Did the same with JB Hunt. Ignored the boards. I guess we never learn, right?

    Wrong. Now, don't even look at offers if their are complaints on this board. People post them for a reason. And there are a few who will say great things about the same company. So who do you believe? Good question. I don't know, but I learned NOT to dismiss a complaint because a driver may just be disgruntled.

    Just my .02
    Anyone can learn to drive a truck. Few become truck drivers.

    Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
    '





  14. #13
    merrick4 is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    Millersod, it's true about convenant. Me and my friend both went to LCT but he didn't pass the physical. He is now at Covenant and everything that this guy posted I hear on the phone from my friend all the time. Sure LCT has the same policies but it's a much smaller company and you can at least get into the office and talk to them. For instance I was held up at a shipper for 9 hours yesterday and I was hysterical, and I don't take "we'll take care of it".To make a long story short I finally got to the person in the company that was directly in charge of approving detention times as well as the head customer service rep in charge of that customer. Try doing that at a big company.

    As for training, when I drove my trainer was in the seat next to me AT ALL TIMES. And I was only in training for a few weeks as I drove local. My friend drove local with me and can drive yet they have him out there for a couple of months. Also with LCT you are paid $65 a day for training.
    While at covenant about 13 or 14cents per mile and what's worse if you don't understand logs the trainer can manipulate the logs to make it look like he drove more than you which is what I believe is happening to my friend from what he is describing to me. And what's worse you have to wait apparently for the trainer to turn in the paperwork.

    I may have my gripes with LCT, but from what the original poster wrote and from what I hear from my friend I would have lasted about one week at Covenant at the most.

    One final thing, Covenant is a publically traded company so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has looked at their financials to see if they report any income from driver's fees.

  15. #14
    kips41 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Orange, TX
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I agree with Usless...they are a Christian company till it comes to THEIR money.

    Never had nor ever will have the pleasure of working for them, too many bad stories....where there's smoke there's fire.

    I have strong feeling about companies that do "chargebacks" to a driver.
    First a company can't take money for this kind of stuff out of your check unless your give them signed permission to do so. Companies that take money back from their employees generally suck, they don't give out big bonuses when they make the big bucks either, it's always a one way street in their favor. That is the reason thay are rich. I saw an article where Russ Gerdin the majority owner of Heartland Express sold a very small amount of his stock and made 100 million off it.....just how much money does one guy need.....the total value of his stock was about 500 MILLION.

    I wonder how many good drivers are run off from the trucking industry by companies like this one.

  16. #15
    NevadaJim is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Scam of the Covenant

    Quote Originally Posted by Cluggy619
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset
    When I first began looking for a company to start trucking in I read this forum and was under the impression that most people are just disgruntled over some reason or another and didnt pay much attention to all the complaints because I wanted to find out for myself - first hand what the problems were that people were describing.
    This is, was, and always shall be, a huge mistake. I know. Did the same with JB Hunt. Ignored the boards. I guess we never learn, right?

    Wrong. Now, don't even look at offers if their are complaints on this board. People post them for a reason. And there are a few who will say great things about the same company. So who do you believe? Good question. I don't know, but I learned NOT to dismiss a complaint because a driver may just be disgruntled.

    Just my .02
    Oh Please. There isn't one company that someone isn't whining about. If someone listened to every complaint, about every company, they surely wouldn't even think about getting into trucking. Maybe the problem is people coming into this business wearing rose-colored glasses. Then, when they see clearly, they don't like it so much. Then the company bashing begins. It serves absolutely no purpose than someone trying to fix his hurt little ego.

  17. #16
    neverbeenlate is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    somewhere in this beautiful country
    Posts
    141

    Default

    This is why you research a company before you join them. I know that some things are not told until you get to orientation,so the best thing to do is talk to as many drivers you see that work for the company you are considering and ask specific questions,not just do you like working there.
    DEM

  18. #17
    murph is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31

    Default Type

    We are all an example of truckers: Not one who is right or one who is wrong, but one who is willing to share experience, post information and possibly help others, as well as ourselves. millersod always takes time out of his busy day to scan posts, answer questions, provide information to drivers and yes give his opinion. His honesty at times reminds us, as humans there is no shame in venting, yet our predicament may have been influenced somewhat by our own actions. What would you rather have, someone who tells it straight as they see it or an A__Kissing sugar coater who agrees with everything you say.

  19. #18
    BanditsCousin's Avatar
    BanditsCousin is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    The $500 is probably the insurance deductible. As far as the tires, its kind of like a "core charge" for the casing, which can be re-capped/re-treaded (and NEVER put on my truck :lol: )

    HTH
    Mud, sweat, and gears

  20. #19
    millersod215 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Just got back in from work, and i see that the accident deductible has come up in conversation, i guess i'm off base on that, i'm not too much of a man to admit when i'm wrong, i guess what i was trying to say is that this poster "sunset" was lucky to still have a job after a preventable "fender" bender. And yes murph, i do try my best to be informative, and not to just cause problems, after four years of driving, and making it my career, i looked back on when i first started and realized most of my gripes and complaints were to just make up for my short comings in this industry. I was just simply saying it seems this poster is in the same situation i was a couple years back, a little too much foolish pride seems to get in the way of a lot of new guys out there on the road. I'm the first to admit OTR is not my thing, and i respect everyone out there who does it day in and day out, i prefer my local 5 am to 3 pm job, works great for me, i just get tired of new guys posting what seems to be the obvious complaints with new companys, and always saying that's the reason they left. That's as far as i'll go with this post, i'm not here to offend anyone, i guess i'm just trying to get the point across that i feel if you can stay open minded in this driving game, and allow things to come and go and not look at all the negatives of a career in driving, we might see much more people succeed at this adventure we know as "truckdriving".

  21. #20
    BladeRunner is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default A Criminal In the Eyes of Covenant

    It is true, Sunset. If you roll into an area where the chain law is in effect, you, the driver, will be fined if you do not have chains on your truck. Covenant does not supply their trucks with chains. I was driving toward an area that the chain law could be in effect. I told Covenant dispatch that the truck was not equipped with chains. They wrote back that they would be happy to purchase chains for the truck. And then take 25 dollars a week out of my check to pay for them. And I will then be a proud owner of a set of chains for tractor trailer! Woo Hoo!!! I couldn't wait to tell my family the good news!!! "Honey, I know we owe alot of bills, but I have to help Covenant keep their truck running. Thanks for your understanding. I will make it up to you next month, I promise. Bye now." But instead I told Covenant I was not an owner operater so therefore declined to purchase equipment for their truck. I am a company driver driving a company owned truck. I asked, does Covenant wish to purchase chains for their truck so I could do my job? Covenant wrote back to me that "they do not buy chains for their trucks because drivers illegally sell them to other companies". To sum it up, Covenant refuses to properly equip their trucks with chains because drivers have committed the crime of stealing them from the company and selling them for a profit. And if you are a Covenant employee, you are viewed as a criminal waiting to sell their property on the black market. They avoid telling you this at Orientation. So if you want to work for Covenant, don't forget to save some of your hard earned paychecks so you can pay to keep their truck running. Don't fret though, fellow drivers, you will only be in debt to Covenant until you pay off the chains they need to keep their trucks making them a profit.

  22. This ad will disappear if you login

 




Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1