LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Not to interrupt post, but Smooth are you a road driver in Cleveland for yellow. I was there for 2yrs, but left there about 1.5 yrs ago.
Yes I am , I only been there since July , but I really like it .
Good Luck, you will need alot of patience in the winter months to come.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Board Icon

I know a few drivers who drive or used to drive for WalMart. Only one is still there but in a special division. He is a bedbugger(house mover) that moves WalMart employees around the country. He loves it but only because his wife is with him so they run as a team. He was on the fence about pulling freight. Another was cut loose by WalMart after their doctor said he was unfit to drive. He had a blackout episode while driving a WalMart truck and it was somewhat diagnosed. His doctor said he would be fine to go back out driving as long as he took his medication. WalMart's doc said that it did not matter whether he took the meds or not, he was unfit to drive because it was never properly diagnosed. The other 2 left after a few years back in 04 after things went downhill with WalMart and how they were treating the drivers. They were being kept out on the road longer and longer and getting less and less hometime. They are now local, home every night and making $26 an hour.

If WalMart was so great, they wouldn't be looking for so many drivers.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Rookie

I spoke with one of Wal-Mart’s yard driver last night and ask him about their OTR drivers and their pay scale. He told me that the OTR drivers can easily make over 100K per year and that Wal-Mart treats them like kings. He said that the hiring standard was so high that the company had a hard time getting enough drivers so they lower the standards to meet the demand. Their drivers had to have over 1,000,000 miles with no accidents or DUI, and clean driving records.

Most of their drivers are over 55 years old, so like the trucking industry in general, they will always be looking for drivers.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

100k seems a bit much
Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddo
I spoke with one of Wal-Mart’s yard driver last night and ask him about their OTR drivers and their pay scale. He told me that the OTR drivers can easily make over 100K per year and that Wal-Mart treats them like kings. He said that the hiring standard was so high that the company had a hard time getting enough drivers so they lower the standards to meet the demand. Their drivers had to have over 1,000,000 miles with no accidents or DUI, and clean driving records.

Most of their drivers are over 55 years old, so like the trucking industry in general, they will always be looking for drivers.

NAH , that's a load sh*t . You need to have 3 clean years on your MVR and 350,000 clean miles . Thats there hiring qualifications . I heard pay is anywhere from 55k to 85k . That's not set in stone but that's the average , if you see a walmart truck and trailer , u will notice on the side of the truck a lot of them say 500,000 or 1,000,000 accident free miles , probably around half , so it is a good job , but u dont need a million miles to qualify .
Old 10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
NAH , that's a load sh*t . You need to have 3 clean years on your MVR and 350,000 clean miles . Thats there hiring qualifications . I heard pay is anywhere from 55k to 85k . That's not set in stone but that's the average , if you see a walmart truck and trailer , u will notice on the side of the truck a lot of them say 500,000 or 1,000,000 accident free miles , probably around half , so it is a good job , but u dont need a million miles to qualify .
That is the reason why they drop the standard to below 1,000,000 accident free miles because the standard was so high that they were having problems recruiting enough drivers to meet that qualification.

I have no proof of the $100K salary but that is just information that was given to me. A lot of their drivers are over 55 and have been driving with them for over 15 years and can make that salary.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Board Regular
Default Wally world average salary....

I was told during my interview that the average salary was around 55K-65K depending on how long the driver wished to stay out. There is a "7 on-7 off" option at WalMart. But, you had to be there a while to get it. The dental plan basically covers just a cleaning and exam once a year. Vision covers an exam and one pair of glasses at a WalMart optician. That part was pretty bad. And yes, I heard of all the "millionaire drivers" at WalMart because of the stock options. They were honest and assured me that because of current market conditions, that would not be happening. Not bad, not great. The one thing I did not care for was the secretive way of doing things. It's like they don't want the general public to know anything about them. They also state up-front that they don't see any need for unions. So what are they afraid of ? And the job requirements are : 3 years Clean Class "A" with Hazmat, minimum 250,000 verifiable miles.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like they are the equivalent of being on a dedicated account at a good OTR carrier.

Nothing to right home about.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Board Regular

I'd take walmart over any OTR carrier . They rarely advertise , have high minimum standards for drivers and pay very well . Out of curiosity I can't even find a website or a phone to apply directly to walmart transportation . I'd like to give a gold star to anyone that can because I can find just about anything on the net .
Old 10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I'd take walmart over any OTR carrier . They rarely advertise , have high minimum standards for drivers and pay very well . Out of curiosity I can't even find a website or a phone to apply directly to walmart transportation . I'd like to give a gold star to anyone that can because I can find just about anything on the net .
You can contact the nearest Wal-Mart Distribution Center (DC) for application information or you can contact their head office at 1-800-803-7348. The phone number will give you a list of the different cities where DCs are hiring drivers.

If there is a DC near you that is hiring drivers, it might be faster and easier for you to contact them directly and apply there.

They are opening new Distribution Centers in various cities and will be hiring both yard drivers and OTR drivers for those sites. Their yard drivers start at over $20 per hour, and are home every day. Their job is to move the trailers from the loading docks to the yard and vice versa. Yard drivers work a regular 10-hour shift 4 days per week but are not allowed to work more than 40 hours per week because Wal-Mart hates paying overtime.

Good luck in your quest.